BJJ blue belt requirements?

ttt for some good discussions. Lets keep Kimbo out of this one.

Also, if someone is "beating other blue belts" are they doing it to people their size?

Just because a white belt can beat a blue or purple does not meant they are white or blue caliber. Look at Mike Van Arsdale at Abu Dhabi. He has beat some good bjj players while knowing little about the guard or any pure BJJ technique. Does this meant that he is a blue or purple, no. Is he a damn good athlete, yes. Knowledge and appilication have to figure in somewhere.

On another point, I had a guy that was very large (round)and a lot of the techniques he could not do properly becuase of his body type, however he had a good knowlege of the moves and could explain in detail the principles and mechanics of the moves his body would not let him do. Do you keep him at white forever becuase he could not tringle choke, hit certain sweeps, ect.. due to his body type?

Some very good points raised there. Halz is pretty much on the mark with his ideas.

Elvis

"You must be able to defeat Mike Tyson in a streetfight and a Judo Black Belt in grappling.

Gary Hughes"

***Well ive beat several Judo blackbelts but Tyson hummm....

VA dont take BJJ in a school if he did he would be probobly the fastest promoted blue belt ever and purple soon after assuming he went to classes

I guess the way it works is that if you like the way a Instructor teaches, you will stay there and learn.  If you don't, you'll go somewhere and find someone you do like.

Elvis

A lot of good points made on this thread. One thing that I feel is great about BJJ is that Instructors in most academies promote you specific to your ability (Not whether or not you've paid for a testing). As mentioned previously, your promotion will come when you are tapping all the other white belts and most of the blue belts. It doesn't hurt to make a purple belt tap once in a while.

Consistency is the most important thing. If you are only going once a week, it might take a very long time to promote. If you go at least 3 times per week you will be much better off. Also, rule of thumb... don't ask your Instructor about your promotion. Traditional BJJ Instructors hate it when you hamper them about your next belt promotion. Just train hard and often and you'll get your rewards. Good Luck.

There is an interview of Carlos Gracie Jr taken from some British martial art magazine on jiujitsu gear forum where Carlos Gracie Jr address this point.

Carlos raises many many points which haven't been raised here.

One thing he said is nowadays Bjj is taught in large group class and because of this many people don't get the individual attention they need. He said when he was learning Bjj all the class were essentially private classes and group class was for sparring. The private class format gave the student more opportunity to learn and pick up details of whatever the instructor happens to be teacher AND it also allows the instructor to not only correct mistakes in the students form BUT also to better assess the students progress. This made it much much easier for the instructor to promote their students.

Carlos said that because of large group class it is hard for him to really assess and evaluate each individual student because he can't give that student all of his attention. Because of this a standard or technical requirement for each belt may be useful. He said with a standard, he can more easily evaluate a large group of student, who all happen to train all in one group class, because he'll know whether they know this or that technique.

Carlos also made the point that there is a difference between students in regards to what they can do. So students work hard but aren't as capable of doing certain things as other students. He said that these student shouldn't be held back because they don't have the "talent" of others. He seem to be saying to me that promotion should be assessed and based on what a student CAN DO and not what he or she can't.

Anyway Carlos brought up alot of point which need to be considered when discussing this topic.

He definitely made me think. He really made a distinction between private instruction and group instruction, athletes and the average person, fighters and instructors.

What's sometimes very funny (in any MA, not just BJJ) is that sometimes the people with the strictest moral requirements for students and/or promotion are not very moral people themselves. (Although they probably think they are, and rationalize excuses for how their moral lapses are really the faults of others). Just a way to transcend 'coaching' and attain some level of cult following even.

(Note: Am not suggesting Elvis is a cult leader 8P )

I don't understand why anyone cares about getting belts. It doesn't make you any better. I've known a lot of BJJ blue belts who must have bought their belts at garage sales or something because they sucked shit.

I just think you should train hard to be your best, not to earn rank in an artificial and non-uniform system.

"Also, rule of thumb... don't ask your Instructor about your promotion. Traditional BJJ Instructors hate it when you hamper them about your next belt promotion."

WTF...that goes against all other posts on this thread, saying that asking about criteria and your skills in comparison to this was OK also shows interest to develop you skills.

belts are so over rated and all about ego trips.Hey Im a blue belt myself but big whooptidoo

the criteria is when the teacher feels ur that leval he whips ur ass with the belt sometimes u may even get foot stomped

I think Prof. Pedro Sauer's curriculum for blue belt is pretty widely respected. I bet you can find it somewhere on the net.

I was told if you can tap some of the blue belts and all of the white belts then you should be a blue belt.

Lorenthz, I apologize if you misunderstood my message. The key word there was "HAMPER". Of course you need to know your curriculum and it's definately great to ask questions and get advised on your skills. My point was simply that the more you attend class, the more technique you will learn. And the sooner you learn to use those techniques to tap white belts and some blue belts you will know you are on track to get your rewards. Good luck.

m.g really brings up some great points (from what Carlos said).  Nowdays classes in Australia (and no doubt the US) are mostly group classes.  The best way to monitor students progress is to have a minimum level of achievement.  It also gives direction in training as well.

Sadly at this point I'm not a cult leader.  Though we have certain requirements regarding behaviour and attitude, they are not that strict.  But don't worry, we are working on it.

Elvis <br>
Soon to be Cult Leader