BJJ+Boxing=???

"Royce cant box yet he would rape you and 99% of people in the street"

I'd give someone like Ricardo Mayorga a better chance of coming out of a street fight clean, against 2-3 guys, than someone like Royce.

The reason I say self defense is because I have no intent on fighting MMA, or becoming an ameteur boxer. I look at BJJ and Boxing like sets of tools used for a fight. The skills are what I'm inquiring about. I don't need anymore education on scenarios for street fights, just input from those who have followed a similar formula.

1groovyunit, you have been very insightful, thanks a lot.

"STICK TO ONE THING, IF YOUR REALLY GOOD AT IT YOU WILL WIN. Royce cant box yet he would rape you and 99% of people in the street" I do remember seeing his pre-fight "clip" showing him doing shadow boxing and hitting the peanut bag with some decent speed. Just thought I'd share.

BTW, the pre fight clip was for the early UFC's.

Muay Thai is great too!

"At his peak, the night he took out Vanderlei, Vitor was purely boxing and BJJ."

That was not Vitor's 'peak'. Vitor NOW is a legitamate black belt, has rounded up his striking skills with excellent Mauy Thai, and is much more mature.

When Vitor beat Wand back then, he dominated him because he was better, not because his skill was 'peaked'.

Edited to lmao at Sam Pai once again. Gotta love that old ass troll.

(bows)

I think that in self defense, there is more to worry about than just striking and groundfighting and clinch work. There are many factors that come into play. Environment, concealed weapons, Multiple opponents. If Any of these factors come into play, boxing, MT, or BJJ will not do you any good. The reason that MMA is different from a street fight, is because of the controlled environment. Once the surroundings start changing and the opponents become plentiful, then all of your skills go out the window.

I've done both boxing for the past 15 years and I did
BJJ on and off for about 2 years,but haven't been in a
while. I've never been taken to the ground in a
streetfight one on one even before I did BJJ. I'm only
5'9'' 180. Any fight I was in I didn't want to be in
nervous as hell butterflies etc. Yet I always ended
them quickley usually with a one or 2 punch combo. To
answer the question I think it's a good combo.

grasshopperBJJ,

Thanks for the input, but I have enough knowledge of the variables in a street fight.

I just want to know if boxing would be valuable training along with BJJ(which I'm already involved in). I just don't want to waste my time learning BS (like tai chi) and think its valuable fight training.

peace

I think Muay Thai would be a better choice than just boxing because of the knee/elbow factor but it is definitely a great combination either way.

a very good combination!!!!!

IF you are fighting someone one on one, your BJJ should serve you well. But, I think that MT would be better for the street for a striking style. Boxing is good but Muay Thai can cause maximum destruction to all parts of the body!! Go with Muay Thai!!

BJJ/Muay Thai!!

Tell the boxing coach your not wanting to learn boxing to box competetively, you want it for self-defense and MMA. A good coach will teach you dirty boxing.

RICARDOTEIXEIRA said
"a very good combination!!!!! "

That's all I need!!

FYI, My situation:

Muay Thai Cost=$$$
Boxing Cost=Zero

I picked up boxing about six months ago to go with bjj. The footwork alone will give you greater balance and stability in the street or the ring. Greater punching power, accuracy and fidning your range will do wonders for you as it relates to ending situations.

"Tell the boxing coach your not wanting to learn boxing to box competetively, you want it for self-defense and MMA. A good coach will teach you dirty boxing."

Describing your goals is fine, but 99% of boxing coaches have never heard of Jens Pulver, and would rather you not hold-and-hit in sparring sessions.

Boxing is a wonderful compliment to your BJJ. Some aspects of your boxing instruction will be more conducive to your goals than others, but that's to be expected.

TH

A strong background in boxing + BJJ will be quite adequate to defend yourself.

Good combination, it's what I do, but I suspect Boxing + Judo is more effective: striking while keeping your feet on the ground, great standing base, dirty boxing and throws from the clinch, and at least the minimum necessary ground skills in case you end up there.

And to give my comments some context, I'm on the bjj side of the bjj-or-judo-for-mma debate.

...and old Belfort was a bad dude...