BJJ in DC?

Looks like I'll be moving to DC this summer. Probably living in Adams Morgan.

The house I'm looking at now is about 3/4 mile from Yamasaki Academy and Beta Academy. Any thoughts on these two? I'm kind of digging the idea of being close enough to walk to class.

Other places I should check out?

I train at Yamasaki DC and yes, we are right down the street from you in Woodley Park, which would be about a 5-10 minute walk or a 3-4 minute bike ride from AdMo. We train hard but at the same time are super friendly (we all go out to watch the UFC together, meet up at bars, etc.) which I think is one of the things that people like about us. Our instructor Luis is a BB and we have a good mix of brown-white belt students.

Obviously, check out both schools and see which one suits you better, but we'd love to have you stop by. When are you coming to town?

Thanks for the info, Green Machine. I should be moving the first week of July, so I'll probably be stopping in to check it out some time the week of July 7.

Awesome, good luck with your move. Just in time to experience DC's wonderful summer humidity!

Adaptive Jiu Jitsu from Craig Schattner on Vimeo.

Luis Pantoja is one of the nicest guys I've ever met in BJJ.

Tpk is still in dc, correct? Phone Post 3.0

The Elastic Assassin - Tpk is still in dc, correct? Phone Post 3.0

DC area. Vienna/Tyson's Corner, Virginia, to be exact.

http://therockbjj.com/contact-david-jacobs-bjj/

Nak at Beta is great.

TPK in Vienna is awesome. Guys from every gym in the area go there to train and their open mat is amazing. Make it there if you can.

Bull_in_chinashop - 

Adaptive Jiu Jitsu from Craig Schattner on Vimeo.

Luis Pantoja is one of the nicest guys I've ever met in BJJ.

That's an awesome video. Luis is great people. At TPK's in Vienna, we offer 1 year unlimited membership for Wounded veterans and Law Enforcement Officers for $1 a month. We are located inside CrossFit Rubicon, which has the same offer for their classes.

For OP, I would echo what has already been said and visit Yamasaki DC and Beta. A couple stops up the Red Line, you have Lineage Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at the Bethesda Metro, which has classes Monday-Friday from 730-9 inside the Sport and Health Club. Not walking distance like the other two, but definitely worth a visit.

Wherever you wind up, if you have a car, or once the Silver Line Metro opens up, you should visit us for open mat.

Happy training,

Brendan

Ryan Hall used to be pretty close to DC, in Virginia but he recently moved. Not sure how far he is away from where you would be. I have never trained at any of the other places in the DC area and only stopped at Ryan Hall's once while visiting DC. It was a good experience, good atmosphere and the people were nice. Seph taught the class. Nice guy, friendly and sense of humor.

For what it's worth.

50/50 is in Falls Church now. Seph ain't much to look at, but he's a great coach. He also comes by TPK's for open mat with Ryan some times.

lam - Ryan Hall used to be pretty close to DC, in Virginia but he recently moved. Not sure how far he is away from where you would be. I have never trained at any of the other places in the DC area and only stopped at Ryan Hall's once while visiting DC. It was a good experience, good atmosphere and the people were nice. Seph taught the class. Nice guy, friendly and sense of humor.

For what it's worth.

They are now at 929 West Broad Street in Falls Church, about a mile from the West Falls Church Metro on the orange line. Beautiful facility. On a weeknight, the commute would from Adams Morgan would not be too much fun, but they have a class from 12-1 on Saturday, and open mat Saturdays and Sundays from 1-3pm. Definitely worth the trip out.

Fabes - 

50/50 is in Falls Church now. Seph ain't much to look at, but he's a great coach. He also comes by TPK's for open mat with Ryan some times.

Seph, Ryan, and Jen are awesome. TPK and I also visit 50/50 for open mat as well.

It's great to be around other schools with no politics and an open training environment. Unfortunately, I know it's not that way everywhere.

Well put Brendan. I've trained with Seph and he's great. It's awesome to see him and Ryan training alongside Dave, you and the rest of the guys.

Brendon what time is your guys' open mat on the weekends? Phone Post 3.0

Or Brendan rather Phone Post 3.0

Sounds like you guys have a pretty cool BJJ scene around DC. Nice.

Thanks for the input everyone. I agree with Brendan that it is nice to see schools that skip the politics and keep an open training environment. It's definitely not like that everywhere!

green_machine - Brendon what time is your guys' open mat on the weekends? Phone Post 3.0

It's on our website as Saturday from 1130am-1pm, but we usually go way later than that. I live in Georgetown so PM me if you ever want to visit and need a ride out.

Will do thanks man! Phone Post 3.0