BJJ is crossfit of martial arts

Nick would agree that modern BJJ is bullshit

7 Likes

At this point anything that encourages people to get off their fat asses of the couch is a good thing in my book.

Too many fat slobs walking around.

4 Likes

You speak for Nick Diaz?

I agree. I have grappled since the 90’s. I now call it the Starbucks crowd. I never thought I would see the sport become a bunch a butt scooters trying to roll upside down. A bunch of middle age guys repping the patch like high schoolers, and juicing to hang with the 20 year olds. A coach will praise the guy that is in the gym 6 days a week like a hero while he neglects his family, all in pursuit of the next stripe promotion. I have grown to really dislike the bjj crowd. Started doing judo instead.

3 Likes

Muay Thai too, attracts a lot of the same crowd who like the “technical sparring” culture and all that jazz. Obviously this doesn’t apply to everyone but there’s definitely a subculture in both sports, and that’s ok.

1 Like

BJJ has been like this for so long. Worse than any crossfitters

4 Likes

You know where you don’t get a cult-like feel? A boxing gym. A REAL boxing gym. No posturing, cliques or politics. Got a problem, come get punched in the mouth.

5 Likes

I do BJJ did Sambo and Judo. The wear and tear on your body from Judo is just awful. I prefer BJJ as a hobby

1 Like

There’s also no structure and pretty much have to train yourself.

3 Likes

Some are just pro gyms. Many, however, have a structured curriculum.

What would you say is the worst part about judo and the wear and tear?

OP is correct. I tried to find a BJJ place 20 or 21 years ago. They didn’t start showing up until around 04-05 and there was only one small one, I was too poor then to get into it. It was RARE to meet anybody who even knew what it was, let alone do it in this area. Most people had no fucking clue what I was talking about when I mentioned it.

Now flash forward to today, almost everybody I meet who claims to have done it, did it in some random other state and is in their 20’s, or is the opposite, the cult crossfit type weirdo. It’s usually very dorky dudes who would have gotten beaten the fuck down in the shitty TMA sparring I was doing in the mid 90’s as a teenager. I’ve met a few legit people, and my friend is a Gracie black belt who took the long way to get it.

Don’t get me started on how every one of these fags now has a YouTube channel trying to act cool for views. I’ll tolerate Jedi does jiujitsu a bit but watching some of this overly sport stuff is difficult and embarrassing. It’s probably fun, but good grief.

None of these places drill takedowns etc around here. I always hear the same things “when have you ever been in a fight that didn’t go the ground, there are standing submissions too”.

1 Like

The throws over time your back gets fucked. Then the trips and fucked up throw attempts your knees, shins take a beating. Then your hands from all the gripping. Eventually you have tape all over every finger

4 Likes

Yeah I think I’m gonna avoid it. I lift 4-5 times a week and have racked up enough injuries, including ligaments in my hand and my left hand has permanent nerve damage from unrelated injury and am missing a joint in an important finger. Both shoulders are absolute trash (multiple tears and I broke one 24 years ago next month).

3 Likes

Yes.

4 Likes

If I could buy you a Green I would. @anon40977991 knows what I believe in for a street fight, Queensbury boxing and GR Wrestling in that order. For MMA, best (2) combo is GR Wrestling and Dutch Kickboxing in that order.

1 Like

Why did it take this long? I’d take the 20min from Bay25th or 92nd and train with the homies in Brownsville. We just did it!