BJJ is crossfit of martial arts

I’ve been checking out some BJJ videos and matches and I just can’t shake the feeling of a cult.

I feel BJJ has become like a cult, it got hijacked by people who have turned it into a hipster martial art. It gives me a cult like vibe.

It feels like crossfit of martial arts that has its own “code” of conduct with bullshit handshakes and other gestures. Let’s just grapple, I don’t want to learn some 3rd grader handshake and gestures like putting your head on someone’s shoulder as a sign of “hespech”.

Next you got Brazilian “professors”. You’re a coach, buddy. Relax. They capitalize on gullible, too weak to do wrestling American kids and fleece their parents with insane prices.

Its technique is full of strange, pretentious names. 50/50, gift wrapping, etc.

Then there are mythical figures like Colonel Kurtz of BJJ, John Danaher. (I think John is awesome though, for the record).

BJJ is now also a fashion style. You can recognize somebody who does BJJ by their tattoos, clothes and the way their hair is done (Yea, not a haircut but an expensive stylized hairdo, probably bleached or dyed too) without them even having to tell you, which they will anyway.

BJJ is a cult.

28 Likes

6 Likes

For the last 2 years or so I have developed a firmly held belief that the worst thing about bjj is the people that do bjj.

These ultra hobbyists that do everything they can to make themselves appear as pro athletes are increasingly unbearable

21 Likes

What does this even mean? Lol wtf

5 Likes

Another stupid fucking thread about BJJ. Do you even train it? Every top tier fighter has BJJ training - why do you think that is? Yes some of the new sport shit is ridiculous but the core techniques are very useful for fighting.

10 Likes

diazvsgomi
GukW6g2

9 Likes

I know a guy who took to IG after he competed and lost in a purple belt local bjj tournament and apologize to everyone he let down.

OP is not wrong

15 Likes

The cross fit cultural similarities are real.

6 Likes

That last Diaz sequence is beautiful.

8 Likes

I also know a doughy crossfit worshipper who documents every lift he does on Facebook and makes sure to update everyone how he felt on every single lift. Like how a pro athlete would.

The self esteem it gives these people isn’t necessarily a good thing

4 Likes

I get what the OP is saying. I am a BB in BJJ, but I can’t stand the “culture.” Fortunately, the place I TRANE never had that cult mentality. We were training leg locks, with wrestlers and did judo back in the days, so we never developed that.

12 Likes

Very effective but causes injuries in corporates who try to jump in with no preperation?

It means you’re a faggot that has never been in a fight in his life. Stop stalking me you fuckin weirdo!

And I pulled that off hundreds of times. That is blue belt shit.

1 Like

Pro Athletes aren’t even that narcissistic!

2 Likes

Traing with GR Wrestlers/Judo guys are fuckin awesome! Props to you for the non-delusion aspects of grappling, real talk.

2 Likes

Wrestling is sort of a cult too. Just less of a hipster douchebag cult. More the kind of cult that expects preteens to train like navy seals

5 Likes

As a 90’s BJJ OG I can say this unbiased: The worst part about BJJ is the dorks. It used to be the meatheads. Now it’s the dorks. They fucking suck.

I used to do CrossFit and quit that shit when they started having CrossFit “Prom” dances. Honestly this new crop of BJJ is worse. Those 140-160lb blue to black belt dorks who have never been in a real fight and now have the imaginary BJJ toughness. That sliding into the leglock game, inverting and fucking around makes me want to kick my dog, their dog and every other dog I see. I hate their guts.

14 Likes

Everybody wants to talk shit about Joe Jackson and him abusing Michael and the rest of his kids…

But at the end of the day those Jackson boys could dance.

1 Like

Go tell Nick Diaz BJJ is bullshit.

1 Like