Things you hate about BJJ right now

Getting on top of a resisting opponent should be two points. Sweep or takedown

If guard is such a disadvantageous position, just pass it and win by pass points

1 Like

I think the points accumulating is a cool idea for sure. I think on its own solves the problem better then penalizing people for not wasting time doing stadup without strikes

2 Likes

It’s not the pulling someone into their guard that annoys me, it the sub only rules where someone just sits down.
It’s supposed to be a “combat sport” FFS, every time I see it on think “we’ll you just got your teeth kicked in”.
It takes it from combat relevant to fantasy TKD type shit

If we banned pulling guard and awarded points for a takedown the sport evolves into wrestling to get 2: then stalling:
We already have sports of wrestling and judo etc.
Bjj is supposed to be about ground.

Truth is… they way to get more takedowns and less pulling is to stop giving 2 for takedowns.

I pulled guard when I faced guys with better takedowns so guys couldn’t get 2 then stall.
BUT if no points were awarded for the TD then I wouldn’t pull. Why not try to get top? If I get it the wrestler is in trouble and if I lose it then it’s fine cause they don’t have the 2 points to stall with.

The points for the takedown is WHY people pull guard

1 Like

BJJ isn’t supposed to be about only ground

It’s actually a complete and comprehensive system for fighting. Tell me again how this is close to a combat stance?
stance_orig

I’ve seen a lot of kickboxing, boxing, Thai…never seen a coach say something like this is a good stance…in fact I think they’d say literally every single limb is doing something egregiously wrong

Takedowns without strikes is all a completely unrealistic joke. The goal shouldn’t be to “get more takedowns”. It should be to pass peoples guards and get places you can beat or strangle them to death. The less time people waste doing that rediculous unrealistic standing fighting without strikes the better.

4 Likes
2 Likes

If the top guy disengages he gets stalling points. If you sit down and scoot towards him while he backs away he gets called for stalling so 2 for you. It is a trade off for the penalty points of pulling guard. Let points accumulate to a tech fall as well so guys are incentivized to move into positions, scramble and/or hunt from sweeps/submissions from bottom so as to not get tech falled.

4 Likes

I like these ideas a lot

1 Like

Also you maybe equal sweeps to the penalty of pulling guard. Like if you pull guard without grips you are down whatever points. The opponent is forced to engage but if you sweep to top position you get maybe 2 points above the guard pulling penalty? It incentives the bottom player to sweep to get top and create a scramble and the top guy to not stall and pass as his point tally can be negated quickly.

You’re Colin Caprini?

Indeed

2 Likes

Cool man. You’re really skilled at this sub rasslin’ stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks man. Trying.

2 Likes

Are most of your students WVU students?

2 Likes

A high percentage.

It’s an interesting bunch. We get a lot of people for 4 years and make them good blue belts then they graduate and disappear

Sucks sometimes because when summer hits the class sizes drop by at least half.

Plenty of young tough athletic kids though.

4 Likes

putting aside the discussion on changing the ruleset, which I think there have been a lot of good suggestions here…I dont mind pulling guard. Or doing take downs. Or letting someone pass my guard to work out of bottom side or mount…

Everyone needs to frequently practice becoming proficient in all of these positions, so everyone should be transitioning (flowing) in and out of all of them. Excluding of course, game time during comps when the goal is to score points and win but in training, if you are excluding certain positions because your goal is to win in training, then youre doing it wrong.

3 Likes

Love your pressure and conservation of movement here. Opponent was never comfortable and never got more than a second to breathe or think. Very talented. Commentary was actually good too hahaha.

2 Likes

Very nice

1 Like

Truest statement of the thread so far

2 Likes

No, you should’ve been DQ’d