BJJ needs leadership right now

JCT - 
Sir Taps - Sport England (national body for sports) is offering funding to help support sports clubs. Even though BJJ is not officially recognised by Sport England, funding is available for them because the leading UK BJJ association (UKBJJA) worked with SE to get BJJ included.

Every few months there’s a discussion here or on Reddit about the IBJJF not being a proper governing body, and there’s always a large number of people saying “who cares, I just want them to run comps”. The example above is why a proper governing body is important - They are your lobbyists to get your sport recognised, to get funding, to represent you when you need a voice.

James

The example is why a proper governing body is important, but that doesn’t have anything to do with the IBJJF. Unless the IBJJF is preventing a proper governing body from existing, how is it their responsibility that there isn’t one for bjj?

If you think it is that important for bjj to have a governing body, then why not work to create one instead of looking at the ibjjf to do it? As far as I know, they have never made any promises to create one that handles the responsibilities that you listed.

They are a company that runs bjj tournaments. That’s it. Nothing wrong with that.

Because they position themselves as one. Certification, criminal records checks, these are all the behaviors of a governing body. Did NAGA ever do that? Does Grappling Industries do that now? I’ve got no issue with the IBJJF being a company that runs comps, but then just do that. They banned BJJ Globetrotters to “protect the integrity of the martial art” (their exact words). If you’re just in it to make money from comps, then you wouldn’t ban an association.

James

SpeedKing9 -
Easters - 
onyx2002 -

I think it would be useful if someone game out with an option to present to local govenments here in the US when it comes time to reopen.  Similar to how restaurants  here are advocating by saying "these are the precautions we are taking and this is how we will keep customers safe, let us reopen pretty please"

All gyms need a thermometer.  People need to be cleared before entering the building not before they get on the mats.  Of course everyone sanitizes arms and hands prior to getting on the mat.  Mats obviously need to be cleaned.  Maybe add more if necessary and tyr to limit it to 10 people on the mat.  My gym was about to roll that out where you used the app to sign up for a and once a reached 10 you needed to pick a different time or day.

All these things wont eliminate risk but they can help.  I am not an expert and maybe these are all terrible ideas.

Yep these are the things gym owners need to be thinking about.  

a small bright spot, in trumps plan for reopening yesterday “gyms” are listed in phase 2 (phase 2 meaning after SIP is lifted and 4-8 weeks showing no resurg).  You’re still supposed to social distance but maybe BJJ schools can just tell their local officials “oh ya, we’re totally social distancing in here.  Nothing to worry about”.  But it’s really up to the states anyways

Where do you see timelines of 4-8 weeks? Also, the guidelines I just saw say strict physical distancing for gyms during phase 1 and 2 and does not lift physical distancing protocols until phase 3. I am curious as to what timelines they suggest for phase 1 and 2 to last for best case scenario but it wasn’t stated.

You’re right I had it wrong 

Sir Taps -
JCT - 
Sir Taps - Sport England (national body for sports) is offering funding to help support sports clubs. Even though BJJ is not officially recognised by Sport England, funding is available for them because the leading UK BJJ association (UKBJJA) worked with SE to get BJJ included.

Every few months there’s a discussion here or on Reddit about the IBJJF not being a proper governing body, and there’s always a large number of people saying “who cares, I just want them to run comps”. The example above is why a proper governing body is important - They are your lobbyists to get your sport recognised, to get funding, to represent you when you need a voice.

James

The example is why a proper governing body is important, but that doesn’t have anything to do with the IBJJF. Unless the IBJJF is preventing a proper governing body from existing, how is it their responsibility that there isn’t one for bjj?

If you think it is that important for bjj to have a governing body, then why not work to create one instead of looking at the ibjjf to do it? As far as I know, they have never made any promises to create one that handles the responsibilities that you listed.

They are a company that runs bjj tournaments. That’s it. Nothing wrong with that.

Because they position themselves as one. Certification, criminal records checks, these are all the behaviors of a governing body. Did NAGA ever do that? Does Grappling Industries do that now? I’ve got no issue with the IBJJF being a company that runs comps, but then just do that. They banned BJJ Globetrotters to “protect the integrity of the martial art” (their exact words). If you’re just in it to make money from comps, then you wouldn’t ban an association.

James

I should just delete my other post. How I read it now, each phase is 14 days assuming there is no resurgence.  It also says avoid public Settings where physical distancing can’t occur “unless precautionary measures are observed”

that right there is a broad statement 

but again, it’s up to the states and counties.  California’s seems like they’re gonna be pretty careful with this thing.  Not sure how it will be in other states 

This is a good thread. I was just wondering about this the other day.  

Easters -
shen - This is my whole issue with they IBJJF; they have nothing to offer the majority of the BJJ community.

I’m not gonna blame them for not being prepared for this.  But I really think they have a responsibly to start advocating for and advising their members well being 

I am. They charge a ridiculous amount of money and hold black belt certificates for ransom.  It’s lame and when the “federation” is needed most they’re no where to be found. 

1 Like

And it’s in their best interest to do so.  Their tournaments are gonna take a big hit.  They should be doing something to keep schools in business 

People should stop signing up to their tournaments and paying any type of fees to them when this is over. If you have an issue then vote with your dollars and show them they messed up with how you expected them to handle all of this.

2 Likes

I think at the very least they should credit your ibjjf individual and academy membership for 2020 and it shouldn't have to be paid next year. Affiliations should do the same for 2020. It's not as if they have many expenses to cover during this period and it could be in their interest to earn some goodwill from potential customers/members if and when BJJ is able to start up again. 

IBJJF are the Beats by Dre of the BJJ world.

Covid Fro -

I will personally never forgive Carlos for not being prepared for something no one else was prepared for and for running a sports organization that can't print it's own money and keep every single one of the schools in the world that practice that sport open indefinitely.

What a scumbag.

lol

Covid Fro -
Denis Kelly -

I think at the very least they should credit your ibjjf individual and academy membership for 2020 and it shouldn't have to be paid next year. Affiliations should do the same for 2020. It's not as if they have many expenses to cover during this period and it could be in their interest to earn some goodwill from potential customers/members if and when BJJ is able to start up again. 

I agree this would be a good gesture, but it's not even a drop in the bucket so that's literally all it is, essentially the equivalent of sending hope and prayers.

This is the irony of people's gripe about IBJJFs fees.  They are so relatively small they wont make a difference.  

cyberc92 -
Covid Fro -
cyberc92 -

They probably don't have enough funds to lobby at a federal level to get help. To be honest, if you went to a micro level there probably isn't really that much tax money from bjj gyms in comparison to all other industries to really move the needle in city governments to get assistance. 

That and then you have to overcome the political view of what bjj is-an mma skill  that only brutes and those with toxic masculinity engage in.

Libturds won't want to help because they want all combat sports... all male sports really, to disappear.

Trumpturds won't go for it because they are all of the trump/gingrich/limbaugh/hannity variety who are such pussies they want combat sports to go away because it makes them feel inferior.

Niether group of ideologues is going to want to support saving bjj and the small number of people in those groups who train aren't even close to enough to move the needle.

What about those 10k small business loans? Aren't those supposed to help the exact people we are talking about here: school owners?

Yes but my understanding is that all of the money is used up at this point. Please correct me if I am wrong about that though. The virus is going to eliminate some schools and some schools will still remain. The schools that remain will be those who had sufficient funds through either running lean or owners who have primary jobs to earn income. Those gyms will end up getting additional students from the gyms who will unfortunately have to close their doors.

I understand that we all love training but it is a microsm of what is going on and I doubt people outside of our little niche community really gives a shit about bjj, mma, boxing, or whatever at this point. People are trying to not foreclose, feed their families, find out ways to home school their children etc. This isn't me trying to be callous but just being real about the situation at the moment. We all know if schools don't open up by the summer that it could be catatstrophic so our hope is that another bill passes to keep people afloat but as you pointed out in an earlier post that won't continue to happen forever.

The same people you are arguing for own fitness studios and bjj academys. You're acting like bjj school owners are a different species or something. 

The Maestro -
cyberc92 -
Covid Fro -
cyberc92 -

They probably don't have enough funds to lobby at a federal level to get help. To be honest, if you went to a micro level there probably isn't really that much tax money from bjj gyms in comparison to all other industries to really move the needle in city governments to get assistance. 

That and then you have to overcome the political view of what bjj is-an mma skill  that only brutes and those with toxic masculinity engage in.

Libturds won't want to help because they want all combat sports... all male sports really, to disappear.

Trumpturds won't go for it because they are all of the trump/gingrich/limbaugh/hannity variety who are such pussies they want combat sports to go away because it makes them feel inferior.

Niether group of ideologues is going to want to support saving bjj and the small number of people in those groups who train aren't even close to enough to move the needle.

What about those 10k small business loans? Aren't those supposed to help the exact people we are talking about here: school owners?

Yes but my understanding is that all of the money is used up at this point. Please correct me if I am wrong about that though. The virus is going to eliminate some schools and some schools will still remain. The schools that remain will be those who had sufficient funds through either running lean or owners who have primary jobs to earn income. Those gyms will end up getting additional students from the gyms who will unfortunately have to close their doors.

I understand that we all love training but it is a microsm of what is going on and I doubt people outside of our little niche community really gives a shit about bjj, mma, boxing, or whatever at this point. People are trying to not foreclose, feed their families, find out ways to home school their children etc. This isn't me trying to be callous but just being real about the situation at the moment. We all know if schools don't open up by the summer that it could be catatstrophic so our hope is that another bill passes to keep people afloat but as you pointed out in an earlier post that won't continue to happen forever.

The same people you are arguing for own fitness studios and bjj academys. You're acting like bjj school owners are a different species or something. 

I am not interested in seeing industries or people go out of a business but it is a sad reality of what will happen. My issue is the of essential vs non-essential. BJJ to me falls in line with yoga or some other fitness hobby. You mentioned in another thread Staples but Staples offers good that are essential in 2020. People need to purchase equipment to home school their children at this point whether that is stationary products or technology. Not everything will be shipped quickly through Amazon at this point with everything going on. BJJ doesn't offer any that. My kids are part of a wrestling club and they are shut down at the moment. I have honestly seen more uproar from the bjj community than the boxing gym which I am apart of, my sons' wrestling club, and our judo club. To be fair they are non-profit and have a mission to serve the community so they have been getting donations from what I have been told whereas most bjj schools are for profit.

Sir Taps - 
JCT - 

James

James

But all of that is only as it pertains to their own organization. They don’t try to enforce their standards etc on other competitions. They don’t try to prevent their members from participating in other competitions (unlike the ijf), and their referees are used by many other organizations as well.

As far as bjj globetrotters, are you saying that only governing bodies would ban participants for violating rules? Correct or not, ibjjf’s claim was that bjj globetrotters were banned because they were signing off on ranks without proper vetting. Besides, being a for profit company putting on tournaments doesn’t mean you can’t care about the integrity of bjj.

As I said, they do not try to prevent true national/international governing bodies from forming, so how is the lack of a governing body their fault any more than the fault of any other entity involved in bjj? Just because they’re the closest to it?

since Carlinhos is the "president" of the IBJJF, can't he just be voted out at the next election? 

Rodney Ellis -

since Carlinhos is the "president" of the IBJJF, can't he just be voted out at the next election? 

The virus is the head of bjj, the cure is in the ballot box