BJJ Training Etiquette Question

true alot of instructors don't like people swicthing schools and for different reasons. but the easiest to understand is that many schools compete against each other.

wow..I don't know what to tell ya then. that's real old school mentality. Bjj has evolved I guess only in some places in the U.S.

KipDynamite

"I work in Brooklyn and stopped by a nearby school and asked if they had an individual class or mat fee, to which I was told no, because they didn't want to look like they were "stealing" students. I am loyal to my professor, but would like to roll more often and with new partners. Is it wrong to approach other schools for single classes or open mat?"

Hell no.

I've dropped in and trained at a few places in the past.

I actively encourage people to drop in and train at my place.

I actively encourage my people to drop in and train wherever they like.

All this "loyalty" talk is unsettling. You have a business arrangement with the guy who teaches you. You are there because you like the service you get - the quality of his instruction and his workouts. Price and availability are also factors.

"Loyalty" to a single instructor has turned TMA into the mess we've all come to know and love.

Whenever someone starts talking about loyalty to their teacher, I can't help but think how silly it would sound if you replaced "teacher" with "plumber".

Go and train wherever the heck you want.

Mark