BKFC fighter Justin Thornton dies after suffering knockout loss at BKFC 20

Yea just super unfortunate it was a bad matchup though

1 Like

Letā€™s face it, that was absolutely careless, negligent matchmaking. I had friends over watching that event, and the second we seen this matchup we knew how it was going to end. It was absolutely setup for this guy to get KOd and hype the other guy.

3 Likes

Iā€™d like to see them fight without wraps.

2 Likes

They canā€™t. Theyā€™re technically wearing gloves, the knuckles are just bare.

1 Like

Is that a law? I figured they just used wraps to ensure more KOs.

No. Thatā€™s how they get around the laws. Rules state fighters have to be gloved but doesnā€™t specify how heavy or where the padding might be located.

All the real bare knuckle footage is Russian lol.

1 Like

Wonder how his opponent is handling this and if he will fight again after that happens. Could really fuck with his mind to say the least.

3 Likes

This was from his head hitting the canvas the way it did. Only a matter of time before thereā€™s a death in the UFC. It just is what it is.

2 Likes

Very sad news.

RIP

I like the promotion and regularly speak to the fighters on IG, very down to earth humble guys.

2 Likes

I thought their first shows were no wraps no bare knuckle but looks like Iā€™m wrong

I remember when they had Pauline vs Artem everyone was complaining about Florida that they needed gloves, but then the promotion said we can have the knuckles exposed. So it was basically just a bigger hand wrap.

Absolutely. Not his fault but he will probably live with some sort of underlying guilt. I hope heā€™s doing okay.

Yep, and unfortunately people die in every sport. To be honest I am shocked there hasnā€™t been a death in a major MMA promotion.

Guy who is 6-18 in MMA with 11 KO losses vs a guy who is 11-1 in MMA and all but one of those wins were by KO. Nice matchmaking. Although by the looks of it in this case it was the way he landed more than anything. Still a bad look for BKFC though to already have a death on their hands 3 years in.

5 Likes

Damn, thats so fucking sad. RIP Justin Thornton

2 Likes

Thatā€™s 2 terrible accidents in a year for Bkfc. Ugh, that sucks.

1 Like

RIP

Awful news.

No combat sport fan wants to see this sort of thing, its an accident, we are not barbarians. RIP to a Fighter putting his life on the line for a job, and to entertain fans. People think because we watch elites all the time and deaths are minimized that somehow its an easy job, People should respect fighters a hell of a lot more than they do.

3 Likes

It should be harder to become a licensed fighter.

1 Like

RIP