Black Belt loyalty

The profound sense of loyalty that black belts have towards their masters can certainly be a touchy subject. This bond that is often forged over years, goes beyond the mere transfer of skills. It’s a relationship built on trust, respect, and mutual growth. But what does this loyalty truly entail, and under what circumstances can such a deeply rooted bond be compromised?

I have been a black belt for 8 years. I’ve trained under one master from white to black and have been as devoted to him as any loyal disciple should be. Loyalty in the martial arts world is multifaceted though. It’s not just about showing up for training, it involves a deep-seated respect for the master’s knowledge, teachings, and philosophy. It’s about embodying the values imparted by the master both on and off the mats. This loyalty is also visible in how athletes represent their lineage in competitions, how they carry forward the teachings, and in some cases, how they choose to pass on the knowledge to the next generation.

However, since my master retired and someone I do not particularly care for was appointed head instructor, I have found myself in a dilemma of sorts with respect to two equally undesirable outcomes: mindlessly conform and follow the new leader or leave my team after 16 years. Both scenarios put my integrity on the line.

The gist of this post is, clashing personalities can erode the foundation of loyalty. In close-knit communities like martial arts academies, such dynamics can have a profound impact. I’d really like to hear some serious opinions on this matter.

SS

Leave. Or Don’t. It doesn’t matter.

The retards on here are just going to tell you about their own experiences.

Here’s my retard perspective. I love my instructor and team. Been a black belt for 20yrs. Will never, ever leave. I’d stop training before I ever wear another team or academies patch.

Others on here just hate any type of authority and will call it a “cult” to have any sort of loyalty,

Make up your own mind.

2 Likes

Well see that doesn’t say anything with regards to where your loyalties lie. Are you loyal to the master or to the team. I’m not asking for direction either. I am asking If others in similar predicaments may have found themselves at
such a crossroad.

They are intertwined. He was a founding member or our team and what was created is amazing. I’m loyal to all of it. Him as an individual leader and the team as the organization that has given me so much. I’m also loyal to my fiends and training partners.

I plan on relocating to a different part of the country and there doesn’t appear to be an affiliate in that city. This actually concerns me. I may drop in from time to time, but I will get mats in my garage before training at another teams academy long term.

1 Like

Is your master retired and gone or is he still an active part of this community that has nurtured your growth and development?

Mostly retired. He is involved running things and is still a leader.

Every time an academy either promotes someone to instructor, brings someone in or makes any changes there are people who bitch and leave. Change isn’t bad. As a black belt just roll with it.

I’m 30yrs in this game. Trust me. Enjoy your friends and training partners.

1 Like

People also take things too seriously. I had a student quit because I didn’t like their post on social media, but I liked someone else’s. I had another guy leave with a creonte because him and the other guy liked to drink craft beer together. He wants an instructor who’s his buddy. I just taught bjj. I’m not your beer drinking buddy or the guys you play online video games with.

Just go to your academy, make the best of the classes and enjoy your friends. If you don’t have any friends that train with you, leave. You won’t be missed.

1 Like

My friends and my training partners are the reason I stayed really after the master retired.
But as the years go by he got involved less and less for health reasons. He also moved away so I haven’t seen him in a few years. Point is, I don’t feel his presence anymore and I was the only female black belt under him so his absence was especially hard on me.

Not being missed when you’ve poured your soul into something means it was a mistake to begin with. One certainly doesn’t want to think that they’ve invested all these years of their life into something only to be forgotten just like that. That is a very cold and calloused thing to say to someone after being a black belt for 30 years. I’m sure there are a lot of other situations, aside from weekend warriors requiring drinking buddies, that would be grounds for people choosing a different path.

I didn’t mean to offend. I’m just saying that if you think your training partners and friends won’t miss you, then it’s an easy decision. An academy is the sum of its parts: students, culture, instructor, vibe, location, facility, etc.

1 Like

I agree with that sentiment 100 percent. And if 4 out of those 6 factors are compromised, it should be a no brainer. That is true.

But don’t you think some Masters would view that as a betrayal and hold it against a student even after they pass the torch to someone else? That corrupt thought process is unfortunately part of the culture.

1 Like

I stayed after my teacher left and ended up giving up training altogether a few years later. it was a different gym by then, a lot of my old training partners went their own way to teach, got old, etc. i think if i had found a place that i was happy w/ and moved i might still be training today.

1 Like

If your old instructor is so important to you, reach out to them and tell them you need their advice. And don’t beat around the bush. Should be easy.

4 Likes

I did. He passed down the torch and said he would not stand in my way if I wanted to train elsewhere. Again, I wasn’t asking for advice in this post. I was curious about other people’s experiences in similar situations.

I don’t think loyalty is nearly enough.

That’s why I always try to get some leverage on students, if they ever try to leave.

“Oh, you want to train elsewhere…? Maybe think about that a little more.
Funny… I was just thinking about you yesterday and thinking what a shame if your wife somehow got those Jacuzzi photos from last year’s BJJ camp. I’m really gonna try real hard to make sure that doesn’t happen because I always try to protect loyal students. Of course, once students leave and go elsewhere to train, that’s no longer such a priority for me. Anyway… I hope you reconsider and decide to stay with the team!”

4 Likes

:laughing:
Blackmailing students into staying is kinda shitty but it happens all the time, I’m not gonna lie.

My loyalty is to the school, but that’s because of the culture and environment built by my instructor. His personality and vibe for sure transferred to the school. That said, if someone else came in for whatever reason and changed the culture and environment, I’d probably start looking elsewhere.

2 Likes

I appreciate this honest perspective. Thank you, sir.

I found this comment very impactful. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

For what it’s worth I have switched schools, styles and coaches many times over my martial arts journey, sometimes for what some would consider trivial reasons.

I never left owing money, I never badmouthed the schools I left and I am pretty sure I am on good terms with everyone.

Any coach who wants you to train in an environment where you don’t enjoy the vibe is not worth your misplaced loyalty.

2 Likes