Black belts who shouldn't be?

Is this a huge problem on the west coast? Other Areas? I feel like it is going to be a problem in my area. (Im not going to give any detail) I just wonder if promotions to BB elsewhere that are looked at with a raised eyebrow. (i.e...legit bb "selling" belts)

Also, how do you handle the situation if so? Phone Post

Roll with him, choke him out, take his belt, leave. Problem solved. Phone Post

2 Likes

Be aware though; you sicken Siciliano to the core, fren...TO THE CORE!!!

;) Phone Post

Unless you're a black belt yourself.. don't worry about it.

1 Like

JRockwell - Be aware though; you sicken Siciliano to the core, fren...TO THE CORE!!!

I laughed.

Lmol jrock...nice! Phone Post

1 Like

Jessy30 - Also, how do you handle the situation if so?

Not much you can do if they were given the belt by a legit instructor other than come online and bitch. Fakes are another story.

The problem is some "respected" professors do this --good teachers with legit students-- who also sell some occasional belts too.

But, IME, all you do is alienate people, if you are honest about it. I have named names on here before 4-5 times over the last 12 years --with ample evidence, sometimes people I've known-- and all it does it cause a clusterf@ck. I'm not sure it's worth it.

In my personal experience most black belts I've know in my area generally have similar opinions and are aware--at least on some level-- the people who do this.

That knowledge however does NOT filter down to a typical colored belt who thinks you are an a-hole to even suggest their "Master" or their "teacher's teacher" would do such a thing.

So often these days, it's a more a case of a truly sub-standard Purple belt/ McDojo owner who's hopped around from teacher to teacher, that takes a few high-priced privates and is suddenly a Brown Belt. Maybe he then has the "professor" to his school for a few seminars, then VERY quickly a black belt --to the utter shock and amazement of people who know and have trained with him.

--That's what a "bought" black Belt most often looks like these days. That way, both parties can still pretend it's "legit".

There are too many of those to even keep track of.

If you do BJJ long enough you learn who at least some of the people are.

2 Likes

Shen...my jaw literally dropped...you described what is going on here EXACTLY. Phone Post

2 Likes

10 private lesson pack to go from brown to black can be yours now. ahah. I know this has happened many times

Well, look at how a "Mcdojo" owner views the martial arts: usually PURELY as something to make money from. He has no respect for martial arts, they are just a commodity.

So when such a person decides he needs to offer BJJ at his school to "keep up", do you really think he will take the time to train for approximately a decade to EARN a BJJ black belt? No way, he doesn't have time for that. His ego demands he get his black belt as soon as possible, as easily as possible.

--and if a McDojo owner wants BJJ rank & a Professor wants $$$, well, it's just gonna happen.

Let's say you are a "legit" BB under one of the Professors who does sell belts on occasion. Are YOU going to call your teacher on it and let other people know your teacher sells belts..?

No way.

That would be bad for your reputation. Most of the people who are "in the know" when this happens (the Professor, the Mcdojo owner, some of the students of both) usually have ZERO incentive to shine a light on it and plenty of reason to simply ignore it.

We have people in that same uncomfortable situation right here on this forum.

1 Like
shen -

Well, look at how a "Mcdojo" owner views the martial arts: usually PURELY as something to make money from. He has no respect for martial arts, they are just a commodity.

So when such a person decides he needs to offer BJJ at his school to "keep up", do you really think he will take the time to train for approximately a decade to EARN a BJJ black belt? No way, he doesn't have time for that. His ego demands he get his black belt as soon as possible, as easily as possible.

--and if a McDojo owner wants BJJ rank & a Professor wants $$$, well, it's just gonna happen.

Let's say you are a "legit" BB under one of the Professors who does sell belts on occasion. Are YOU going to call your teacher on it and let other people know your teacher sells belts..?

No way.

That would be bad for your reputation. Most of the people who are "in the know" when this happens (the Professor, the Mcdojo owner, some of the students of both) usually have ZERO incentive to shine a light on it and plenty of reason to simply ignore it.

Whoever would u be talking about :) Phone Post

Is there a way to ignore this thread. Phone Post

1 Like

Shen please list those you have outed in the past. Phone Post

1 Like

shen - 

No way.

As per romney's backpeddling on his Bain leadership... I believe that these BBs plan on earning it retroactively, but need to start making $ now.

1 Like

Know of an instructor that was a purple belt under a VERY well known black belt. Got butt hurt when he wouldn't promote him to brown. Switched to the franchise bjj school, and a year or so later he's a black. A local tma instructor used to bring in my instructor and I once a week to teach bjj. He stopped after a year or so because of "lack of interest" from his students. Continued to take privates with my instructor for another year or so because he really wanted to learn or so we thought. Got his blue, went and got certified to teach gracie combatives. Now has alot of students that are interested mainly due to marketing and the ability to get rank without really having to put in any work. Unless you count their youtube testing videos. Seriously fuck guys like this.

1 Like

demandango - Shen please list those you have outed in the past.

Alright... forum member "Andre" has sold eleven black belts that I am personally aware of (in fact, I even bought one for my niece --which I take full responsibility for).

Seriously though, it hurts people's feelings who have done nothing wrong. There's no reason for me to do that then argue with people on this thread for a week giving proof. I've already done that, it didn't change anything, it won't change anything. I just look like more of an a-hole than usual.

BTW if you KNOW deep down in your gut that your teacher is one of those guys -LEAVE! Don't go into denial. Just F-ing leave. You will feel a lot better in the long run.

--And nobody on here better think I'm talking about "Kofi Elam" because that sh!t is still real to me dammit!

I can think of a few guys, I think most people with the BJJ scene know.

At the end of the day, who cares? The belt itself is not the accomplishment.

Zenoplata -  I can think of a few guys, I think most people with the BJJ scene know.

At the end of the day, who cares? The belt itself is not the accomplishment.

You think people would watch a certain youtube channel if the guy demonstrating techniques came out wearing a hakama and a red belt?! Phone Post