Black belts who shouldn't be?

Good post LEMon.

A "black belt" is not the "highest level" in jiu-jitsu --or ANY martial art for that matter. Heck, it's not even the midway point in terms of ranks if you train your whole life. Red belt is obviously the highest level in the art.

A BB just means you somewhat have the basics down and understand the game, more or less. BB means you don't need to be spoon-fed every technique and can start REALLY learning --That's it.

It's an acknowledgement from your coach that you have been training long enough and learned enough so that you get to wear a different colored belt.

In Brazil that same "50 year old" would get his bb eventually too.

It's not like they reserve "black belt" for the world's elite. That's what world championships are for.

1 Like

cdog1955 - nowaydo,
I think you mean the 57 year old Brown from Ohio, that just had his 3rd surgery and is full of arthritis but loves it so much he refuses to quit. :)

Inspirational! Keep it up! I know how you feel. I'm 46, three knee surgeries and three elbows surgeries, Cervical arthritis. Yet, I love it. Don't plan to quit.

shen - 
Good post LEMon.

A "black belt" is not the "highest level" in jiu-jitsu --or ANY martial art for that matter. Heck, it's not even the midway point in terms of ranks if you train your whole life. Red belt is obviously the highest level in the art.

A BB just means you somewhat have the basics down and understand the game, more or less. BB means you don't need to be spoon-fed every technique and can start REALLY learning --That's it.

It's an acknowledgement from your coach that you have been training long enough and learned enough so that you get to wear a different colored belt.

In Brazil that same "50 year old" would get his bb eventually too.

It's not like they reserve "black belt" for the world's elite. That's what world championships are for.

agreed. Unfortunately you have people that forget what the art was designed for. Which is self defense and to help empower those that start off weaker then opposition. It wasn't made specifically for sport.

jjmarine1 - 
Hunter V - 
jjmarine1 - I HAVE BEEN DOING BJJ 3-5 DAYS A WEEK FOR ALMOST 8 YEARS, HAD PRIOR WRESTLING AND MARTIAL ARTS EXPERIENCE....I HAVE BEEN A BROWN FOR A YEAR AND A HALF. I WAS A PURPLE FOR ALMOST 4 YEARS. I HAVE WON NAGA EXPERT NOGI DIVISION TWICE AND WON PURPLE BELT DIVISION, SO I CAN AT LEAST SAY I PUT IN THE TIME AND PROVED MYSELF COMPETITION WISE TO PROMOTE TO BROWN. I WOULD RATHER BE OVER QUALIFIED FOR A RANK THAN TO BE PROMOTED EXACTLY WHEN READY. ONE THING PEOPLE FORGET TO REALIZE, THOUGH, IS THAT SKILL LEVELS IN A GEOGRAPHIC REGION IS REFLECTIVE OF THE REGION AS A WHOLE IN TERMS OF DECIDING WHAT IS A CERTAIN LEVEL OF PROFICIENCY. A PURPLE IN OKLAHOMA MAY OR MAY NOT BE AS GOOD COMPARATIVELY AS ONE IN MIAMI, CALIFORNIA OR BRAZIL. THAT IS WHY I BELIEVE COMPETITION IN REGIONAL OR NATIONAL TOURNAMENTS OF A DECENT SIZE IS IMPORTANT WHEN PROMOTING TO BROWN AND BLACK FOR SURE.

Dude stop typing all in caps, it's very annoying (unless your caps key is locked or something).

THIS IS HOW I TYPE, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT TOUGH SHIT.

glad to see all that training also taught you humility and manners.

I don't read paragraphs in full caps I'm sure others don't also. I don't like to be berated while reading.

Hunter V - 
jjmarine1 - 
Hunter V - 
jjmarine1 - I HAVE BEEN DOING BJJ 3-5 DAYS A WEEK FOR ALMOST 8 YEARS, HAD PRIOR WRESTLING AND MARTIAL ARTS EXPERIENCE....I HAVE BEEN A BROWN FOR A YEAR AND A HALF. I WAS A PURPLE FOR ALMOST 4 YEARS. I HAVE WON NAGA EXPERT NOGI DIVISION TWICE AND WON PURPLE BELT DIVISION, SO I CAN AT LEAST SAY I PUT IN THE TIME AND PROVED MYSELF COMPETITION WISE TO PROMOTE TO BROWN. I WOULD RATHER BE OVER QUALIFIED FOR A RANK THAN TO BE PROMOTED EXACTLY WHEN READY. ONE THING PEOPLE FORGET TO REALIZE, THOUGH, IS THAT SKILL LEVELS IN A GEOGRAPHIC REGION IS REFLECTIVE OF THE REGION AS A WHOLE IN TERMS OF DECIDING WHAT IS A CERTAIN LEVEL OF PROFICIENCY. A PURPLE IN OKLAHOMA MAY OR MAY NOT BE AS GOOD COMPARATIVELY AS ONE IN MIAMI, CALIFORNIA OR BRAZIL. THAT IS WHY I BELIEVE COMPETITION IN REGIONAL OR NATIONAL TOURNAMENTS OF A DECENT SIZE IS IMPORTANT WHEN PROMOTING TO BROWN AND BLACK FOR SURE.

Dude stop typing all in caps, it's very annoying (unless your caps key is locked or something).

He's probably really only a 12 year old kid!

Lol Ben agree! He probably had a good point to.

I kind of agree about the vale tudo though, it shouldn't be compulsory for blackbelt but it should be if you want to coach Mma. Don't even have to do well. Anybody who doesn't compete at least once is Robbing themselves of a great coaching insight. Sport or vale tudo. Again no compulsory but it doesn't hurt.

The other problem when you have polarizing views is that the "gotta be tapping everyone and winning comps" guys create is a huge gap that is left to be filled by the other side of the coin, the self defense Bjj guys who don't do sport at all and are pushing some ridiculous knife defense and other untested techniques etc. Not rolling at all, no competition at all (oppose it for convenience sake etc) which weakens the art of doesn't strengthen the weak either.

Just my 2 cents Phone Post

Anyone who says you have to compete at the highest levels at brown belt to reach black is an idiot.
I will use myself as an example.
I am a brown belt.
I began training in 1997.
That's about 15 years, with two years taken off for sambo training.

I competed a long time (as I was a blue belt for 7 years lol)
Have yet to compete as a brown belt.

Many people considered me a beast at purple belt.
I got cancer.
I had brain surgery to remove a tumor.
I lost my vestibular system and alot of my balance.
I lost about 70% of my hearing.
I had a tumor taken from my spine.
I had a stem cell/bone marrow transplant.
I am on chemo.

Let me run right out and compete in the pans.
But what gets me through the treatments? Teaching and training at my school. Getting back on the mats.
I'm not what I once was. I still tap all my students, but they only go up to purple.
I hope to one day earn a black belt.

if i followed your expert wisdom, I should just give up and quit because I should'nt ever get a black belt.

No way.
Not a chance.

^ You are a WARRIOR and a redbelt in life wisdom and experience my friend. That's all that matters. God Bless you^

truehonor - ^ You are a WARRIOR and a redbelt in life wisdom and experience my friend. That's all that matters. God Bless you^

2nd that!

Hunter V - 
jjmarine1 - 
Hunter V - 

YOU ARE THE ONE GETTING BENT OUT OF SHAPE OVER TYPING....MATURITY AT ITS FINEST.

nowaydo - 
Hunter V - 
jjmarine1 - 
Hunter V - 

He's probably really only a 12 year old kid!

NOPE...SORRY....GO TRY TO MOLEST SOMEONE ELSE.

Jesus, McLeod I'm not a Christian but I'm pretty sure you are Jesus.

U can have my bb lol. That's a crazy story and case in point Phone Post

McLeod - Anyone who says you have to compete at the highest levels at brown belt to reach black is an idiot.
I am a brown belt.

I got cancer.
I am on chemo.

But what gets me through the treatments? Teaching and training at my school. Getting back on the mats.
I'm not what I once was. I still tap all my students, but they only go up to purple.

if i followed your expert wisdom, I should just give up and quit because I should'nt ever get a black belt.

No way.
Not a chance.

that's the best thing I've read all week

McLeod - Anyone who says you have to compete at the highest levels at brown belt to reach black is an idiot.
I am a brown belt.

I got cancer.
I am on chemo.

No way.
Not a chance.

I've heard this story a few times now and every time I see it, I take my time and time to read it (a few times over). It's so inspirational and a great reminder on keeping some perspective in life.

WOW @ McLeod...truly inspirational Phone Post

Koga - 
nowaydo - So a 50 year old business man in Whatever, Oklahoma who is brown belt can never be a blackbelt because he can't or doesn't want to compete with young, strong, fast and technical proficient brown belts from California or Brazil?

Yes, he should never be a blackbelt. I don't know why Americans have this bizarre sense of entitlement that everyone who does something should reach the highest levels as long as they "stick with it long enough".

Utter BS. You have completely lost what a black belt means. Its a sign of your knowledge and dedication to the art. You should have to earn it, and I love that in BJJ it generally takes 10 years to get (as it should). but it does not mean you should be able to beat all lower belts, no matter how much younger or talented they may be. Why should BJJ be the only style that says you must be a world class competitor to be a black belt? when has a black belt ever meant that? Its not entitlement. You put your decade plus of time on the mat with all the injuries that go along with training and sparring over that time. Thats working hard for the belt.

sharkman68 -
Koga - 
nowaydo - So a 50 year old business man in Whatever, Oklahoma who is brown belt can never be a blackbelt because he can't or doesn't want to compete with young, strong, fast and technical proficient brown belts from California or Brazil?

Yes, he should never be a blackbelt. I don't know why Americans have this bizarre sense of entitlement that everyone who does something should reach the highest levels as long as they "stick with it long enough".

Utter BS. You have completely lost what a black belt means. Its a sign of your knowledge and dedication to the art. You should have to earn it, and I love that in BJJ it generally takes 10 years to get (as it should). but it does not mean you should be able to beat all lower belts, no matter how much younger or talented they may be. Why should BJJ be the only style that says you must be a world class competitor to be a black belt? when has a black belt ever meant that? Its not entitlement. You put your decade plus of time on the mat with all the injuries that go along with training and sparring over that time. Thats working hard for the belt.

This. Go train in Brazil. 80 % of the guys in the gym will be black belts. You'll maybe have heard of 3-4 of them Phone Post

Inspirational thread for me.

jjmarine1 -

IDIOT...THEY HAVE DIVISIONS FOR THAT AGE. AND THE QUESTION WAS ABOUT ATHLETICISM...NOT AGE.

I think you have lost some perspective somewhere on your journey my friend

Is competition an important element of BJJ? Sure is. Is it as important as maintaining a commitment to the art, continuing to learn, and overcoming one's own personal challenges? I don't think so.

People in the master's division hardly represent the majority of practitioners at that age. They are an inspirational group, but to think that every purple, brown, black at that age is willing or even able to compete is just silly.

I think one day you simply realize your ego isn't in the driver's seat, and that you are at a place in your life where you don't have anything left to prove to other people, only to yourself Phone Post