Blake Northcott Interviews Alistair Overeem

http://mancave.cbslocal.com/2015/03/10/interview-with-ufc-heavyweight-alistair-overeem/

for those too lazy to click the link:

Blake Northcott: Hi! Thank you so much for chatting with me.

Alistair Overeem: It’s a pleasure.

BN: How were your Christmas holidays? I saw your pictures on Twitter.

AO: Was in Holland with family and friends, and the Dutch food that I’m accustomed to. I miss that while I’m in the United States! But I had a great time with family and friends for Christmas and New Year’s Eve for the holidays.

BN: So first of all, Greg Jackson recently said some very nice things about you. He said you were an amazing teammate and that he’s very impressed with you. What are the biggest differences you’re finding now that you’ve left the Blackzillians camp and are training in Albuquerque?

AO: Well you know, it can all be counted down to one single word: positivity. I’m not going to point any fingers, because I’m over that phase, but it is a positive environment. I know for myself, I think everyone functions better in a positive environment, and of course its subjective. Everybody is different. The Blackzillians for me, personally, was not a good environment. And the environment that Greg Jackson brings in Albequerque I get along with everybody.

I’m learning every day, and the high altitude is really hard on the cardio! But it’s good for the fight. For me that environment works and nothing against the Blackzilians, but for me that was a dead end. It wasn’t going anywhere. And you know, it showed in my results.

BN: You just scored an amazing finish over a very dangerous opponent, Stefan Struve. When someone is seven feet tall, how do you prepare for that in training? You’re so tall that it must be difficult to find someone who can mimic that height advantage.

AO: Seven feet is hard to come by! But we were able to open the jar and find some sparring partners that somewhat resembled him. I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to train with some taller guys than myself (I’m 6’4?).

And they were great guys, they sacrificed themselves and really prepared me for Stefan so that the fight could be that easy.

BN: At UFC 185 you’re jumping back into the Octagon with an equally dangerous fighter, Roy Nelson, who presents a completely different set of challenges. Is there any specific thing that you need to prepare for with him? Mike Winklejohn recently mentioned that speed would be the key.

AO: I have not spoken to coach Greg or Coach “Wink,” but speed is always important. Your speed always needs to be up. This is UFC in the heavyweight division, this is the strongest division there is. Everything needs to be perfect: striking, ground, game plan, cardio, strength. Speed is just one component.

I expect for Roy, to beat him – and I want to beat him – I’m going to need all my tools.

BN: The current champion, Cain Velazquez has been injured a lot in recent years – so much so that Dana White even hinted at stripping his title since he’s been off for so long.

This is interesting because the interim champion – Fabricio Werdum – is someone you beat very decisively back in Strikeforce.

With a win over Roy Nelson, do you think that puts you into the conversation for a re-match with Werdum in 2015, especially if Cain remains injured?

AO: I’m going to be a little bit humble, but I do to be honest…I’m hungry for the title. I want that title. It would be the crowning of my career accomplishments, and you know I know I’m good enough. Fabricio holds the interim title. A lot of respect for Fabricio, you know when his career was going down, he made a terrific comeback, he’s made a great development. He’s learned a lot and I actually enjoy his fights. But I know I can take him again, I know I can beat him. I see what he’s doing, and its good – but I know I’m better.

BN: There has been a lot of speculation about the UFC’s Reebok sponsorship deal and new mandatory uniforms. What are your thoughts on this, and how will it affect your current sponsors?

AO: Well it’s going to cut out a bunch of sponsors, but to be honest I haven’t had a chance to look into the exact deal. I don’t have all of the details…but from what I’ve heard with Reebok is there’s going to be some negative sides to the deal, but also some positive.

BN: I was a HUGE Pride fan. I was wondering if there is anything you miss about the organization, whether it’s the rules, the gloves, the entrances…and if there is one thing from Pride that you could bring into the UFC, what would it be?

AO: Personally, I really loved the entrances in Pride, that show element. That has gone.,.a little bit lost with the UFC. But the UFC is doing their own kind of promotion, and entrances, which is tied to the UFC and makes the UFC what it is today. But I did enjoy the Pride entrances, and the themes they carried. We were all pop stars back then!

cont...

Did you follow Pride?

BN: Yes, it was good! I did really like the entrances, they were very spectacular.

AO: Did you watch it live? Or how did you see it?

BN: No, actually I had to order the (VHS) tapes! This was even before DVDs, I’d order bootleg tapes online, and then later got the pay-per-views.

I first got interested in it when I lived in Japan. I stared watching mixed-martial arts when I lived there.

So finally, even though your focus is MMA, most fans consider you the best kickboxer in the world. Do you watch Glory, and would there ever be interest in coming back and competing in that organization?

AO: I have no interest in competing in Glory. My future is in MMA. I started as an MMA fighter, and I will finish it there. K1 was basically an adventure, we excited millions all over the world. We fought the K-1 legends, Peter Aerts, Badr Hari…but for me, that adventure came to a stop when I decided to go into the UFC and pursue the UFC goal.

It’s not good to be focused on two different things at the same time. And again, let’s not forget that for K-1 and Glory, it’s kickboxing, a different sport. And I noticed that for me, to be able to compete at this level, you need to have 100% focus. Otherwise you’re not going to beat the top guys in UFC; if you’re also doing kickboxing and training your body different moves and motions. For me I need to focus, and UFC is it for now. I still have a couple more good years in me, and then it’s done. But no Glory, or kickboxing.

BN: Before I let you go I like to do the word association game – I’ll throw out a name or a word, and you tell me the first thing that comes to mind:

Jon Jones?

AO: Great Athlete.

BN: Cain Velazquez?

AO: Great guy.

BN: Dana White?

AO: My boss!

BN: Here is a random one: horse meat…?

AO: (laughs) Yummy! Holland!

BN: I read that you used to eat it to help with training.

AO: It’s legal here in Holland, everyone’s busting my chops about it but it’s legal. you can go to the grocery store and put it on a sandwich – it’s great.

BN: I’m from Canada – here we have Bison Burgers! (laughs)* But horse sandwiches definitely sound interesting.

Well thank you very much for chatting with me.

AO: Thank you! Have a good one.

I find it weird and telling when he says: " I have not spoken to coach Greg or Coach “Wink,” but speed is always important."

You just said you train there, it's positive there, compared to the Blackzillians, yet you didn't train or haven't spoken with either of the two top trainers before your big fight with Roy Nelson?

Got a feeling the Reem isn't taking this fight seriously and Roy will just end up handing him his walking papers.

Mr Bungle - I find it weird and telling when he says: " I have not spoken to coach Greg or Coach “Wink,” but speed is always important."

You just said you train there, it's positive there, compared to the Blackzillians, yet you didn't train or haven't spoken with either of the two top trainers before your big fight with Roy Nelson?

Got a feeling the Reem isn't taking this fight seriously and Roy will just end up handing him his walking papers.

He can't possibly be training less then Roy is.

Mr Bungle - I find it weird and telling when he says: " I have not spoken to coach Greg or Coach “Wink,” but speed is always important."

I didnt read that he didnt train.

I expect him to use knees on belly Phone Post 3.0

Toquinho - 
Mr Bungle - I find it weird and telling when he says: " I have not spoken to coach Greg or Coach “Wink,” but speed is always important."

I didnt read that he didnt train.

I expect him to use knees on belly Phone Post 3.0

I worded it wrong, was just questioning why he hadn't trained with or spoken with Greg or Wink.

Weird how on one side Overeem's saying the atmosphere at Blackzilians was "negative" meanwhile on the other hand the BZ's are saying he's was an arrogant prick and they're obviously a great group together with matching results. Wonder what made it feel so negative for the Reem.

Reem pretty much has to close the distance and knee Roy to bits. His defence is too open to trade punches with Roy. Phone Post 3.0

IMO - on the contrary - Reem needs to move, and box, and stay away from Roy's power, which should be easy since Roy isn't very mobile. Reem by DEC, by picking his shots from a distance.

what is the reach differential ?

GroverSexyArea - what is the reach differential ?

Just went to UFC.com, confident that I would be able to look it up there....nope. They have no reach listed, at least not in their fight comparison.

Wikipedia says Roy is 73.0 in (185 cm and Alistair is 80.0 in (203 cm), so about 7 inches difference.