Bob Anderson and Rolls Gracie

Americana: Where American Wrestling met Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Bob Anderson vs. Rolls Gracie(1978) - YouTube

Americana: Where American Wrestling met Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Bob Anderson vs. Rolls Gracie(1978)

First time I had seen this and (popped up in recommended videos) and glad I clicked on it. What a great piece of history. Side note, if it hasn’t happened already should be easy to pup Bob in contact with Igor and Rolles Jr. to give them their Dad’s medal…

1 Like

Terrific video and Bob Anderson is a Legend.

I’ve seen it before and my question is always this: HOW could the Gracies not already know the Americana(ude garami) at that point?

Ude Garami is one of the most basic submissions in Judo. It is unfathomable to me that they didn’t already know it AND there are videos of the Gracies doing it many years before the Late 70s.

So this story I have never understood. --Maybe he showed them better mechanics? I don’t know.

shen - Terrific video and Bob Anderson is a Legend.

I’ve seen it before and my question is always this: HOW could the Gracies not already know the Americana(ude garami) at that point?

Ude Garami is one of the most basic submissions in Judo. It is unfathomable to me that they didn’t already know it AND there are videos of the Gracies doing it many years before the Late 70s.

So this story I have never understood. --Maybe he showed them better mechanics? I don’t know.

Good question.  Maybe the clue is in the video itself in that the Gracies were initially deceptive in getting Bob to train with them.  They asked to see a submission and he showed them what he knew so they named the move after him.  Kimura didn’t invent the move either but it’s called that after him as a sign of resoect as well...just speculation.

I’m not crying. You’re crying!

What a great vid.

Some funny little things of note…

• Rolls basically pulled guard on Bob.

• Rolls submitted Bob with a foot lock.

• They did no-gi.

Shen - You are an absolute wealth of knowledge in both history and breadth of martial arts. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I have the same question about the story of Rolls learning the triangle choke from a book and introducing it into GJJ. It's such an important move in judo, which was very well established in Brazil by that time, that it makes no sense to me that the Gracie's hadn't seen it before.

1 Like
Gumby - 

Good question.  Maybe the clue is in the video itself in that the Gracies were initially deceptive in getting Bob to train with them.  They asked to see a submission and he showed them what he knew so they named the move after him.  Kimura didn’t invent the move either but it’s called that after him as a sign of resoect as well...just speculation.

That’s kinda interesting…

I guess we do the same thing today, some top player will do a move really well and people will start calling it after them, even though the move is older than they are.

Meatgrinder - I'm not crying. You're crying!

What a great vid.

Some funny little things of note…

• Rolls basically pulled guard on Bob.

• Rolls submitted Bob with a foot lock.

• They did no-gi.

Shen - You are an absolute wealth of knowledge in both history and breadth of martial arts. Thanks for sharing it with us.

That’s a real compliment coming from you, thank you!

Awesome post!

Bob is a good dude! 

Of course it is an exageeration. Of course they knew the Americana. It is as old as Judo and would have been one of the first submissions they learned. Refinments may have been given but of course they knew it.Thnere are old pictures of young Helio doing the Kimura so I don’t see how the other would have been “Overlooked”.

For later