Bobby Knuckles Path to Victory

I tend to think four things are true: (1) Bobby Knuckles and Izzy are both generational talents at MW; (2) Bobby fought horribly the first time (relative to his own potential); (3) He has improved tremendously since the first fight; and (4) Izzy is still going to be extremely tough to beat.

Nevertheless, if any MW can beat Izzy at the moment, it’s Whittaker. Here are some thoughts on paths to victory:

-Punish Izzy for leg kicks. If he can check Izzy’s kicks (or parlay them into takedowns), he’ll force Izzy to box, and that’s a much better matchup.

-Unfortunately for Whitaker, one of his best weapons – his punch to kick combos like the jab-cross-rear leg high kick or jab to lead leg high kick – is less likely to work against Izzy whose head movement and reflexes are just so good. However, he can still through them to get Izzy used to leaning back and using head movement. At those times, he can pound Izzy’s legs with kicks.

-Like Cormier did against Gus, when Izzy backs up to re engage, pepper him with leg kicks.

-His outside trips against Kelvin were outstanding and can work here.

3 Likes

Well said…and new!!

Thanks. I’m predicting Izzy, but I’m not confident to bet even a dollar on it. But, I think these are some of Whitaker’s best paths to victory.

1 Like

RW needs to wrestle more and pick his shots better…and no lunging at the dude with the best timing in mma.

2 Likes

For sure. Couldn’t imagine a worse strategy than the one he employed in the first fight.

2 Likes

A lot of it was to close the distance rather than fighting on the outside where Izzy picks his shots and picks him apart. It became repetitive yes, but look what happened when they stood and traded at range, Izzy hit him with a few crisp counters to put him down.

I think pressure up against the cage and wrestling are RW’s best chance, but even then it is a very minimal chance IMO.

I think he should try to get Izzy to lead at some point. Pressure alone isn’t enough (see the Vetori fight). I agree he should wrestle, but I think he should try to wrestling in space. Izzy’s cage defense is excellent.

Wrestle
Just like Malcoun just did

I think he needs to bite his mouth piece and get close. When they get into a fire fight he needs to get clean, deep shots. If he tries to shoot for 6 feet away he is going to get styled.

If Bobby fights perfectly he still may get caught, but he needs to fight in a way that gives him the best chances of winning

That’s why I’m so high on his clinch takedowns. He can bite down and strike his way in. Unlike Brunson’s horrible approach against Izzy.

I’d also love to see some Frankie Edgar style knee tap attempts.

I think you missed an important part. Izzys arms get tired when he grapples and starts relying more on his kicks. If Rob can try to take Izzy down or constantly try for it. He can tire Izzy out and start striking more from rounds 3 and up.

1 Like

I would utilize more front style teeps at distance behind a jab. Utilize a cross left hook combo into a blast double. Izzy tends to lean back in striking exchanges in close and presenting his hips for a double.

1 Like

Implement the strategies from this video, train them, and study the takedowns of Jan Blachowicz. I wouldn’t say rely on the wrestling though. A large part of Jan’s success was his size. He was just as long as Izzy + stronger.

Izzy is much longer/taller than Whitaker. Izzy has outwrestled better wrestlers than Whitaker at 185.

I dont think Whittaker will win, he rly leaves himself open for counters, but who knows

No way. Izzy wins again in dominant fashion. 2nd or 3rd round finish

That happens to Conor. When has it happened to Izzy at 185?

Rob didnt use his right hand in combos. He barely threw his right high kick and didnt use any teeps to the body.

He couldnt control Izzy on the mat or effectively spin him off the cage with a bodylock takedown. When he clasped his hands behind izzy he didnt drop his hips and elevate for a double.

Another poster mentioned mat returns and thr fact thay Izzy used the kimura trap to fend off takedowns and Rob didnt switch to a high crotch.

Rob let Izzy go belly down and turtle without a 2 on 1 and stand up. Poor body control there.

I agree. I scored the fight for Bobby, but think that he could have definitively won the fight by throwing that right hand and getting a better spiral ride and mat return.

1 Like

No tight waist to a chop, no leg turks, no wrist riding. Izzy put both hands down on the mat without a threat if getting broken down.

It seems mma guys are getting good at entries based off striking but are still way behind on body control.

1 Like