Boris - the mythical Danaher black belt

frumpy -
Uhtred Ragnarson - 
Letibleu -
frumpy -
Uhtred Ragnarson - 
frumpy - Boris and Mike Jaramillo were John's first black belts. I would say 2006. Promoted them after class one morning. I was fortunate enough to be there that morning. Very real. So is Doug.

Uhhuh...

which part don’t you believe?

It’s just that fact is sometimes crazier than fiction. Like black holes.

All of it. I’ve trained at the main academy, my instructors are RGA black belts, I know a fuck ton of RGA dudes and have rolled in Danaher’s class. Never once have I heard Boris mentioned, or even acknowledged. 

Well then you should know a lot of guys who rolled in the monday wednesday friday morning no gi class then which is when he trained. A lot of them are still around.

My instructors train at the main academy pretty much every day. They said they never heard of the guy.

Bobby Lupo - Has anyone texted Boris about this thread?

No, Boris Gave up on all his BJJ friends, remember? He walked out on his 40th birthday. hE rEtIrEd. I wonder if other gyms have the same schtick , like does Five Points have their own mythical Boris? An elite Romanian kickboxer who runs through the pro team at will but hates competition. 

But for real, I have heard that there are guys who are just as good if not better than the DDS guys who for whatever reason, refuse to compete. I think Danaher confirmed this on a JRE episode too. Mostly finance guys and lawyers lol (don’t know how true that part is). 

I started at Renzo’s in 2000, and stayed until late 2006-2007.

I trained sporadically during my later years there, and Boris was at John’s am or afternoon no gi class (I forgot which one). Back then, I was a blue belt, and didn’t roll with him, but heard he was really good.

But let’s put everything in perspective- there aren’t many people that are amazing in the gym, that can beat the top competitors in the world.

While Boris was/is awesome, he isn’t any better than all the top competitors we see all the time. There really isn’t anything “mythic” imo about these awesome students that don’t compete.

You want to see mythic? Just watch Roger Gracie, Buchecha, or Marcelo Garcia.

1 Like
kying418 - I started at Renzo's in 2000, and stayed until late 2006-2007.

I trained sporadically during my later years there, and Boris was at John’s am or afternoon no gi class (I forgot which one). Back then, I was a blue belt, and didn’t roll with him, but heard he was really good.

But let’s put everything in perspective- there aren’t many people that are amazing in the gym, that can beat the top competitors in the world.

While Boris was/is awesome, he isn’t any better than all the top competitors we see all the time. There really isn’t anything “mythic” imo about these awesome students that don’t compete.

By “mythic” I think he means he’s a gym legend with a mythical reputation 

1 Like

Btw Boris was/is real and it’s pretty easy to verify who he is. 

Fast Pitch - 

If only there was a website that kept people lined in

1 Like

Buchecha is a physical specimen in person, absolute unit that lad is.

Fast Pitch -

Haven’t see you on here in a while, hope all is well. 

You trained at RGA?

<te><br />

Uhtred Ragnarson -
Fast Pitch -

You trained at RGA?

No but I know who Boris is. 

Hope all is well with you too. 

This is correct. I trained with him at the AM class. He was a dev nerd by day and former D1 wrestler. Nice dude. Definitely very good, better than I was, but he wasn’t mythical. He’s what you’d expect of a smart, D1 level athlete in good shape who spent years with the best teacher in the biz. 

2 Likes

Danaher's best black belt is a guy no one talks about. If you don't know who I'm talking about already than you don't know who he is.

He's actually more myth than man until you train with him. I didn't think it was possible for anyone to even be as good at BJJ until I grappled with him myself. When you see him grappling with other people, no matter who they are or how good they are, there is absolutely no strain on his face, he just makes whoever he is grappling look like a child. I can assure you I'm joking. He's the best grappler to ever step on a mat and no one even know who he is. 

failure at life - 

Danaher's best black belt is a guy no one talks about. If you don't know who I'm talking about already than you don't know who he is.

He's actually more myth than man until you train with him. I didn't think it was possible for anyone to even be as good at BJJ until I grappled with him myself. When you see him grappling with other people, no matter who they are or how good they are, there is absolutely no strain on his face, he just makes whoever he is grappling look like a child. I can assure you I'm joking. He's the best grappler to ever step on a mat and no one even know who he is. 

Gordon Ryan talks about the guy nobody talks about.

1 Like
Fast Pitch -
Uhtred Ragnarson -
Fast Pitch -

You trained at RGA?

No but I know who Boris is. 

Hope all is well with you too. 

Cool, you still working the same job? Or have you moved on? FWIW, I’m in school right now. Working on an advanced degree. 

And honestly i sincerely doubt all these Boris stories, if you google him you’ll get a Boris Benyimanovich on Facebook but that’s clearly not him.

Bobby Lupo -
failure at life - 

As an aside, who would you say has the closest reputation to Boris but in the Muay Thai circuit in NYC? Like a complete killer in the gym but refuses to compete.

Could even apply to boxing as well.

failure at life -

Ah yes sure. The legend of Boris lives on!

Apparently he switched gyms, he’s a huge fan of Unity’s sauna training sessions now. He’s had it with Renzo’s dingy basement.

Uhtred Ragnarson - 
Bobby Lupo -
failure at life - 

As an aside, who would you say has the closest reputation to Boris but in the Muay Thai circuit in NYC? Like a complete killer in the gym but refuses to compete.

It’s always a big guy from Eastern Europe or Africa who has a real job and no interest in turning pro. There was this HW beast like 15 years ago. He was from one of the Balkan countries and was really well trained and physical. He worked as a doorman. He participated in one smoker, and hated it. I forget his name but it ended in Vic or Vitch.

There was an Irish ammy kid who came to NY to turn pro. There was some hype behind him. Really technical tall skinny guy who tooled good boxers in sparring. He went back to Ireland to work in a fucking jail.

Andrew Golota is the GOAT gym fighter. He loved fighting, but HATED doing it with lights and cameras. Gym fight Golota beats the Mythical Tyson with Cus in his corner.

Bobby Lupo -
Uhtred Ragnarson - 
Bobby Lupo -
failure at life - 

It’s always a big guy from Eastern Europe or Africa who has a real job and no interest in turning pro. There was this HW beast like 15 years ago. He was from one of the Balkan countries and was really well trained and physical. He worked as a doorman. He participated in one smoker, and hated it. I forget his name but it ended in Vic or Vitch.

There was an Irish ammy kid who came to NY to turn pro. There was some hype behind him. Really technical tall skinny guy who tooled good boxers in sparring. He went back to Ireland to work in a fucking jail.

Andrew Golota is the GOAT gym fighter. He loved fighting, but HATED doing it with lights and cameras. Gym fight Golota beats the Mythical Tyson with Cus in his corner.

Dude Andrew Golota is my all time favorite fighter just because of how fucking dumb he was. I watched a documentary recently about him, and they were arguing he might be a legit schizophrenic. I don’t know how true that all is, but hilarious nonetheless.

As for Muay Thai in NYC, I don’t know, it always seems like it attracts a certain type. The real natural athletes seem to flock more to BJJ or Boxing...at least the guys who are serious about it, not the Banker/Wall Street stereotype. 

Bobby Lupo - 
Uhtred Ragnarson - 
Bobby Lupo -
failure at life - 

Boris wasn’t actually that big. probably 5 ft 9-10, 185-190, about the same size as John. very strong. functional strength from wrestling his entire life.

1 Like
frumpy -
Bobby Lupo - 
Uhtred Ragnarson - 
Bobby Lupo -
failure at life - 

Boris wasn’t actually that big. probably 5 ft 9-10, 185-190, about the same size as John. very strong. functional strength from wrestling his entire life.

Boris never existed. 

Also ive seen multiple descriptions of this guy online from being 6’5 240 to 5’9 like you said. 

Get your facts straight homie.