Boxing Gyms ever been taught anything?

BrazilianBomber - 
PoundforPound - If you want slick, here's video of crusty old bastard Roger Mayweather working with some MMA guys at Wanderlei Silva's in Las Vegas:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/mightygloves/videos/110/

That was a great week

were you in the video?

williepep - 
BrazilianBomber - 
PoundforPound - If you want slick, here's video of crusty old bastard Roger Mayweather working with some MMA guys at Wanderlei Silva's in Las Vegas:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/mightygloves/videos/110/

That was a great week

were you in the video?

yeah, that video is 6 months old though

^^^ true i went to box at a rec center that actually had a former pro boxer teaching us. but all he really did was show us how to do all the boxing workouts correctly but i can say that was probably the most important thing to get because people underestimate how hard boxers train. we got to spar with people and go pretty hard so that was good too.

LOL @ the guy with khaki cargo shorts...

dude, san juan center in hartford ct.

theres a guy with a long white ponytail named papo colon, that guy gave me so many hours, and he never charged me anything. i owe that guy a lot.

I trained at a boxing gym for a few years to cross train while I kickboxed.

The view there was you showed up and worked out on your own. If you wanted to spar you looked for guys and asked and if you were humble they wouldn't beat the crap out of you. If you showed some skill and showed up a lot soon or later one of the coaches would come and talk with you and maybe work with you.

Very different from my kickboxing gym. There everyone got solid training, but if you were committed and worked hard you'd also get invited back to the fighter class for higher level training.

BTW, at all my KB and MT gyms you didn't have to be a fighter to join the fighter class, but you had to be good and you had to be willing to spar hard and help them train for fights.

If your getting thrown in the ring right away, your at a shit school. Being outgunned and outclassed early in a boxing experience can ruin someone. I understand the school of thought that has the desire to weed out the pussies, but there are other ways of doing that. Our coach makes new guys do a month of just core twisting drills and learning proper stance, footwork etc. Anyone who isn’t serious will give up after 3 days of that mindless, repetitive, boring shit, and because it’s relatively simple to teach, the coach isn’t investing a ton of time on a guy who may not show back up. However boring it may be, it is the foundation upon which a good boxer is built. After a month, your shown a jab and a cross, that’s it. You drill that with your new found footwork and balance. A month later we add a hook to the repertoire. Now the real training begins… drilling combo’s until your brain hurts, perfecting head moving and defense… Now, 3-5 months after you’ve started, you get to spar a far more experienced fighter, who knows to “work” with you. He can pull his punches, give you the work you need without hurting you and making you gun shy. A fighters psyche is as important as his actual skill level. Both need to be brought along slowly. As you progress, your sparring partners should get closer and closer to your own level.
That’s how you train a boxer…

mt

Fuck, awesome thread!

Does anyone know any good boxing gyms in Sydney?

donkypunch55 - If your getting thrown in the ring right away, your at a shit school. Being outgunned and outclassed early in a boxing experience can ruin someone. I understand the school of thought that has the desire to weed out the pussies, but there are other ways of doing that. Our coach makes new guys do a month of just core twisting drills and learning proper stance, footwork etc. Anyone who isn’t serious will give up after 3 days of that mindless, repetitive, boring shit, and because it’s relatively simple to teach, the coach isn’t investing a ton of time on a guy who may not show back up. However boring it may be, it is the foundation upon which a good boxer is built. After a month, your shown a jab and a cross, that’s it. You drill that with your new found footwork and balance. A month later we add a hook to the repertoire. Now the real training begins… drilling combo’s until your brain hurts, perfecting head moving and defense… Now, 3-5 months after you’ve started, you get to spar a far more experienced fighter, who knows to “work” with you. He can pull his punches, give you the work you need without hurting you and making you gun shy. A fighters psyche is as important as his actual skill level. Both need to be brought along slowly. As you progress, your sparring partners should get closer and closer to your own level.
That’s how you train a boxer…

that's remarkable and unfortunately the minority in boxing gyms... I boxed for about 8 years and was lucky to get a few minutes of instruction in a week the first year... in my gym, you just had to be persistent, willing to take an ass kicking in the ring (lots of times the gym wouldn't even have a coach present and fighters would pressure others into sparring), and persistent... eventually I did get daily attention and competitive sparring but it took a while and a lot of humbling days...

Money talks.

What Bobby Lupo said is very true as well. I was 15 years old training at Golden Gloves Gym in Las Vegas when Ron Lyle came at me wanting to train me (he saw a 6'1 132 lb white kid, that fought like a Mexican and thought he could turn me into a heavyweight). Ron even went so far as to meet with my dad then asked to talk to my father alone, I guess he hit my father up for some money to start training me, my dad just laughed at him.

Boxing gyms can also be a very depressing place, you see far too many fighters that hang on too long , even though they aren't fighting anymore are still sparring and trying to get work in with everyone. It pains me seeing guys I looked up to when I was a child who are now punchy, that has kept me from even going back to my childhood gym to get back into shape at 30, because I don't want to be that guy.

^^^^ PBRFAN did you live in New Orleans?

btw Yea the last gym I trained at it did bug me that the coach was punchy......I remember one time he was trying to write my name on something and with his hand on his head shaking he said "what was that boy's name again?"

"and then I trained at Sugar Ray Leonard's gym in Palmer Park and it was the opposite the focus was young fighters so the trainers where there with their top ammateur boxers like show horses. there was lots more focus on conditioning and technical ability."

I trained there a little myself. Is that the one in the strip mall. Next to a liqiour store with iron bars on the window? Bones! worked there haha

Here's my advice. Find a T-Bone.

Jack "T-Bone" Turner was my first boxing coach. By the time I met Jack he was in his late 60's early 70's. I was one of those guys that got a late start in boxing. I was TMA all the way, did some kickboxing and was successful. But I was succesful only because I could take a punch. I started hitting the local boxing club because I was tired of getting hit in the face. I was still young at the time. T-Bone taught me proper movement, tightened things up for me and made me realize that it sucks to be hit, no matter how good you get at it. Jack became like a father to me, and not just me, but every kid at the gym. I had a father, and we were close, but other kids didn't and needed Jack. I was 22 at the time but Jack treated me like a son.

So back to the topic. Jack "T-Bone" Turner taught me to be a man. He taught me some of the most important lessons in life. Treat others with kindness and compassion. Give back to your community. Jack spent 20 some years in that gym without a penny of compensation.

The world lacks enough Jack Turners. It lacks enough Evan Tanners too.

Was I ever taught something? Fucking ay right I was.

1st Rnd KO - Here's my advice. Find a T-Bone.

Jack "T-Bone" Turner was my first boxing coach. By the time I met Jack he was in his late 60's early 70's. I was one of those guys that got a late start in boxing. I was TMA all the way, did some kickboxing and was successful. But I was succesful only because I could take a punch. I started hitting the local boxing club because I was tired of getting hit in the face. I was still young at the time. T-Bone taught me proper movement, tightened things up for me and made me realize that it sucks to be hit, no matter how good you get at it. Jack became like a father to me, and not just me, but every kid at the gym. I had a father, and we were close, but other kids didn't and needed Jack. I was 22 at the time but Jack treated me like a son.

So back to the topic. Jack "T-Bone" Turner taught me to be a man. He taught me some of the most important lessons in life. Treat others with kindness and compassion. Give back to your community. Jack spent 20 some years in that gym without a penny of compensation.

The world lacks enough Jack Turners. It lacks enough Evan Tanners too.

Was I ever taught something? Fucking ay right I was.

The world could use more Jack "T-Bone" Tuners

lol at the Mayweather vid. Some of those guys were so nervous they were fumbleing like a kid about to have sex for the first time! Plus he was beating the piss out of everyone verbally!!

I am not saying I wouldn't be the same, I don't blame you guys but wow it sure stands out!

That would have been pretty could to attend.

You can't actually learn to really box unless you're willing to get in the ring and get beat up. This has the side effect that there's not a lot of point in spending time on subtle points with guys who don't show dedication and toughness, so there's the weed out process.

So would it be a good idea to roll white collar for a half a year or a year to learn, and then go to the stank ass hardcore street gyms from there?

That's kinda the vibe I'm getting.