Boxing hindering Muay Thai?

I think, that if I work exclusively on my boxing again, I will kep the MT guard and footwork in mind and train accordingly.

I dont mean that training in Boxing will knacker your MT game, you just have to go about it the right way, like KK suggests.

I obviously took the opposite road, I have developed what the boxing coach regards as a really good style for amateur boxing. But alot of what I did while training in this manner gets me taged alot in MT sparring.

I am getting back to my old self, it will take a few weeks, but I am now wiser to how to train to improve punching, keep the MT base in mind!

Yours,
Beev

I don't feel that boxing hinders your Muay Thai skills at all. But this may have to do with the circumstances under which I learned to box.

I learned Muay Thai first. Then I learned to box. Even though I was training to actually fight as a boxer, I realized that at heart, I was a Thai boxer and was mainly learning Western Boxing to complement my Muay Thai. Therefore, I always trained a little differently, I guess.

Sure, I learned how to box correctly, using head motion and footwork and all that, but again, I kept my Muay Thai training in mind, and I modified the boxing technique to complement my Thai boxing.

Also, look at all the numbers of Thai boxers who move on to Western Boxing. Many Thais use Muay Thai as a springboard into the world of Western Boxing, because the that's where the money is really at. Samart, Samsun Eisan, Nanfah, Gansak... These were all top-notch Muay Thai fighters who also excelled in the world of Western Boxing.

As much as I hate to quote Bruce Lee (let the man rest, already!) "Take what is useful". You have to realize what it is you are trying to do, and use what will help that game. If your goal is to be a better Thai boxer, then concentrate learning the boxing skills that will help out your Muay Thai game.

I will have to say this though. This is a common mistake that I find that many people make. When I went to learn boxing, I went and learned boxing. I concentrated on absorbing EVERYTHING that I was taught with no thought as to what I was trying to get out of boxing in the long run. I didn't turn my nose up at head motion drills because of their high risk in the game of Muay Thai. I did as I was told and learned my head motions. I learned as best as I could everything that I was being taught.

Then, AFTER I had attained some degree of proficiency in these new techniques, I decided which parts I preferred vs. those I did not.

I see too many people who try and learn only parts of an art because of preconceived notions regarding what they think they need to know, or what they think will and will not work.

I have learned under three Muay Thai coaches, and as many Western Boxing coaches (at least). I have absorbed as much as I could from these instructors. Though I *personally* don't use everything that I was taught, I make a concerted effort to teach all of the techniques I've learned. Just because I don't use a technique doesn't mean another student won't.

There are certain techniques/strategies that I don't use in my own personal fighting game, whether its just something I don't like or something I just can't do well. But, that doesn't mean one of my students won't like it or be able to make it work.

I try to teach my students everything that I've learned and let them find their own way. But then, this is why Master K chose me to take over his Northern VA classes. He knows that I don't fight anything like him. But he knows that I learned to do everything HIS way first, BEFORE I made changes to the way I used techniques.

It's late, I'm babbling again. I'm going back to polishing my rocket now.

Khun Kao

Good post Lautaro.

I remember Khun Kao recently explaining how he
liked to use a variety of styles depending on his
opponent's style and how he felt.

Changing your guard depending on your range &
situation is a good idea, now that you mention it,
that's wht I do too.

You're right Beev, lots of boxing training can screw
with your thai style for sure. I found it's great
to compliment the Thai training, but the kicks
& knees need continual work 'cos they will
generally win you a fight.

When I worked with boxers they always told me to
change my foot position / stance etc.

Goong.

Hi beev,

I can't say I've had the SAME problem because I always favor a 50-50 weight distribution in my stance. I have been told not to duck down so low when ducking from hooks because it will leave me open to knees to the face. Despite this, I had a hard time breaking the habit. Maybe if they threw some knees I would have learned my lesson...I did find that muay thai had a more upright stance than boxing. In other words, I would be crouching more in boxing to facilitate defense from blows (covering up more) whereas muay thai has a higher stance that facilitates faster kicking. They also have their hands way up instead of lower as in boxing.

I've found the best way for me to deal with this was to adopt a loose guard from a distance with a high stance to ease quick movement and fast kicks. The loose (high) guard made destructions easier from a distance. When I get closer though, I lower my stance for greater stability and tighten my guard to prevent blows to the face and body. It took some getting used to but it definitely helped to cross-train in both boxing and muay thai as I found muay thai was lacking in boxing skills. Just my $0.02.

Lautaro

I dont know about your thoughts on this guys, but I feel that training in boxing too much has hindered my ability a little bit.

I spent a while with a boxing coach, and I have developed a bit of a boxers style, which I am finding hard to break.

I seem to spend alot of time leaning forward with my weight mostly on my lead leg. Even Khun Kao will tell you, for boxing that is good, but for MT, it is bad. It limits the kicking ability both offensively and defensively.

If about 70% of my weight is on my lead leg and I need to kick with that leg, it is going to be really difficult.

Has anybody else had this problem when cross training in boxing?

Yours,
Beev

I spent the month of July sparring with a former pro boxer. A month later, I had to correct my stance again, along with putting my weight on my rear leg. Also I had to cut down my bobbing and weaving to mere slipping for M.T.

Exactly, I mean I have always used a long upright stance, with my weight pretty much 50/50 % on both legs, but after working out with boxers at a boxing club as well as training Thai, (To be honest, I trained the Boxing twice a week and MT once) made me develop the style I was talking about.

The coach there says that with my boxing style, I would make a good amateur due to reflexes etc, but it has really hindered my kicking ability. Its as if I am learning my Guard and footwork all over again. Damn its frustrating. Also, I find my legs take a real hammering when I spar, becausemy weight isnt evenly distributed and I dont have time to move, or shin block.

Yours,
Beev

I feel ya Beev, years of judo have made me very heavy on my feet.