Boxing Over 35?

I recently had an eye injury during a sparring match, which shook me up a bit and made me lose some confidence. I'm 38 and have played around with boxing over the years, but never fought. I'd like to continue training for as long as I can because I'd like to continue to toughen up and push myself, boxing has been a real confidence builder for me and I love it. I'd like to hear more from people regarding continuing to train as you get older. I think the eye injury put a scare into me and I'm worried about something worse happening. Thanks for any opinions you can share.

TTT for later.

I'm in my mid 30's. USA Boxing has a Masters Division and I've heard there are really old dudes in it that are really tough and skilled.

Deaths and dementia are pretty much unheard of in amateur boxing, they're pretty much a pro phenomenon. But I know what you mean, I'm always debating whether I should move onto another sport.

I'm 37 and I love to box I have boxed off and on since I was 8 yrs old. 

The main thing you have to do as you get older is change your training. Have to train smart. I always wear headgear (full face bar these days) make sure I wrap my hands properly and I use trainers that understand that I have a full career and family and that I'm not training to be a pro boxer. 

Boxing is my hobby and a great way to relieve stress. As long as you train smart you can train forever.

How does that facebar work out for you?

Can you see the punches coming, or are you trading nose protection in exchange for eating more big punches?

There was this 38 year old guy boxing last night, and it took a boxer of the caliber of PBF to beat him.

It can be done.

Jody - There was this 38 year old guy boxing last night, and it took a boxer of the caliber of PBF to beat him.

It can be done.

Yes and that 38 year old is a boxer and does it for a living.

i go to grady brewer's gym and seems like there are a few guys over 35 that still go regularly, for exercise and what not...they dont fight though

http://www.mastersboxingdivision.com/

What kind of eye injury did you sustain?

I got poked hard in one eye last year and again this year
in the other one.

In both instances the area underneath the eye filled
up with water, but the worst of it was a numbing sensation
on that side of the face, from the upper lip to the
cheekbone. Kinda like a stretching feeling in the skin.

Shaving felt like scraping a rubber surface.

It took between three and six months before that feeling
finally passed, anyone else familair with that?

I'm 38 as well.

Ya,

Eye injury was a vitreous detachment. Nothing major but still a pain in the ass and a bit scary because it caused a permanent floater. I have a gnat with an orb and a soap bubble beside it. It shook me up a bit.

That's awful man, sorry to hear that.

I am 42 and still do it something that also helps is to use the heavier gloves along with good headgear hope that helps

Im 50 and I still box! Been boxing since I was 13, my timing and reflexes are gone, my stamina is questionable, but I still have good fundamentals, sound defense, and an awfully good jab! Cool,that I can be an inspiration to the youngsters. I usually spar with guys I trust and we usually go at 40- 60%. Boxing is one of those things that's still fun and exciting to me!

This thread is depressing me. Like I wasted my youth or something.

OneScoup - This thread is depressing me. Like I wasted my youth or something.

Sometimes I feel the same way. I try not to regret the things I've done or not done in the past but I have always had an interest in boxing and was afraid to fight and now I regret it. I wish I had just gone for it.

New2MMA - 
OneScoup - This thread is depressing me. Like I wasted my youth or something.

Sometimes I feel the same way. I try not to regret the things I've done or not done in the past but I have always had an interest in boxing and was afraid to fight and now I regret it. I wish I had just gone for it.

Im somewhat the same way but I wasnt really afraid...got in to boxing when we lived outside of Dallas at 16 then moved back to Indiana (where im from) and there was just NO outlet for boxing...the Y and the boys club didnt offer it and i was over an hour from Indy and at 36 now it is kinda regrettful to never really have actually competed in a true sense.

ttt