Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Origins Revealed

By Dr. Binda and Reyson Gracie.

http://www.global-training-report.com/origem.htm

4l8r

It's somehow almost reassuring to see that the art of writing complete and utter nonsense for the "history section" of BJJ materials has been going on since the early days.

Let me guess...wait for it...jiujitsu comes from India?

Reading that was painful.

can someone explain or point to an article that details the actual history of jiu jitsu and brazilian jiu jitsu

i've always heard yogis in India.

Jiujitsu comes from Japan. Honest.

vegard, the point of all this is marketing. Helio claimed he forumulated bjj meaning that only Gracie Academy (TM) schools taught the real "developed in street fights in Brazil by sickly Helio" GJJ (TM). Reyson and his side claim that Carlos Gracie was the man who forumuled bjj.

The Gracies do agree that whatever bjj is, it is not judo and did not come from judo. This too is marketing to show gjj/bjj as something unique, first in Brazil itself (where judo has always been much more popular than other types of jui jitsu, including Gracie style), and now to the world.

Of course Meada who first taught jiu jitsu to the Gracies was a representative of Kododan Judo, the style of jiu jitsu formulated by Kano, and no one can look at early bjj footage and not see that it was virtually identical to the judo of the same period.

If anyone should get credit for creating what has become bjj, it should be Kano who was constantly trying to evolve judo to be more efficient, had the underlying ethos of mutual benefit and of maximum result for minimal effort, introduced live practice with resisting partners, created the belt promotion system, etc. It is wrong for him to be defamed in a hack history like this which should have honoured his contribution. Whover wrote it has no honor, and is just lying for marketing purposes. - Koga!

This person has a doctorate education level?

Koga - The Gracies do agree that whatever bjj is, it is not judo and did not come from judo. This too is marketing to show gjj/bjj as something unique, first in Brazil itself (where judo has always been much more popular than other types of jui jitsu, including Gracie style), and now to the world.

Seriously? I have never heard that Judo is far more popular in Brazil.

Ju Jutsu (correct spelling) was known by many names before it was known as, "Ju Jutsu." This whole article has no historic base whatsoever. These guys need to read, "Secrets of the Samurai" just for a start.

why do anti-BJJ trolls hang around these boards? I never understood that.

if you hate brazilian jiu-jitsu so much, why are you wasting your time here??

alexgb72 - why do anti-BJJ trolls hang around these boards? I never understood that.

if you hate brazilian jiu-jitsu so much, why are you wasting your time here??

I wouldn't call Reyson Gracie an "anti-BJJ troll" --that's going TOO far.

I just think he is someone with very limited knowledge of the history of Japanese jujutsu

sankyo - Ju Jutsu (correct spelling) was known by many names before it was known as, "Ju Jutsu." This whole article has no historic base whatsoever. These guys need to read, "Secrets of the Samurai" just for a start.

Absolutely --best book ever-- Well, at least to me.

My grandfather had that book in his study and as a kid I would page through it staring at the pictures when I would visit my grandparents.

That book is literally what sparked my interest in martial arts, especially Japanese Martial Arts.

In college I found it in a used book store and actually READ it. It's a classic.

Well, its history may be wrong but atleast this article mentions Carlos,Carlson,etc.. unlike the Rorion/Helio side where BJJ skips from Helio all the way to Rickson/Royce.

MickColins -  Well, its history may be wrong but atleast this article mentions Carlos,Carlson,etc.. unlike the Rorion/Helio side where BJJ skips from Helio all the way to Rickson/Royce.

this isnt true the helio lineage recognizes carlos as the founder. they dont really mention carlson though.

FingerorMoon - 
Koga - The Gracies do agree that whatever bjj is, it is not judo and did not come from judo. This too is marketing to show gjj/bjj as something unique, first in Brazil itself (where judo has always been much more popular than other types of jui jitsu, including Gracie style), and now to the world.

Seriously? I have never heard that Judo is far more popular in Brazil.

Way more popular. Every school and club have judo classes, while BJJ is still very small. In fact, because of the early gracie/bjj attitudes (like fighting in streets, beaches, etc), BJJ has a bad reputation of being full of "pitboys" (or mid-class teenagers looking for fights that also have pitbulls as dogs).

However, recently with the growth of MMA and with the pioneers of the sport getting older (and more mature, responsible), that old mentality is dying and sport BJJ is growing away from street fighting, etc.