Brazilian National Championship before 1996

Brazilian National Championships before 1996

Until 1996 the biggest BJJ comp was called Brazilian National Championship

From 1996 they started with MundialSo everybody who won Brazilian National Championship before 1996 even if it Mundial didnt exist up until 1996 should be considered as a world champion , correct?

Was Brazilian National Championships the most prestigiuos title to win before mundial?

Essentially it was a world championship of sorts since that was the big tournament to win and the one everyone most looked forward to.

Plus, there can't have been very many non brazilian black belts back then.

I think Royler, Renzo and Bustamante were pretty dominant during those days.

What year was first first Brazilian National Championship held?

TTT

Maybe Andre or someone similar can ask their instructors (if their instructor is an old school brazilian like Rey) what the score was.

The tales of decades of dominance by Relson, Carley and Rickson @ those comps always seems to do the rounds and be taken as gospel.

JSho - Maybe Andre or someone similar can ask their instructors (if their instructor is an old school brazilian like Rey) what the score was.

The tales of decades of dominance by Relson, Carley and Rickson @ those comps always seems to do the rounds and be taken as gospel.

I asked Bolao about this before and he told me that there were tournaments every weekend so they competed all the time. But he said the state championship and the Brasilian national championship were the big ones. He said they were the tournaments where everyone tried to make sure they were in top shape because all of the good guys showed up.