Brown belts have to register with IBJJF?

Why us it so cheap to compete in Jufo as opposed to Jiu Jitsu? Phone Post

joshjitsu - Why us it so cheap to compete in Jufo as opposed to Jiu Jitsu? Phone Post

Damn typo fail on that post Phone Post

BJJ1553 -
skkrocks - I've seen one guy get forced to buy a new belt because his wasn't the right shade of purple. That's some sorry shit. You know calls on uniforms are completely at an official's discrestion, and the stuff that is especially shady are the rules about sleeve width through the triceps and shoulders. I have no problem with a regulating body making people register to compete, like what happens in judo, but judo players aren't paying an arm and a leg to compete like we are either. Add travel and lodging expenses and what would rather do, go home or shell out another 120 bucks because your gi was a little too tight through the shoulders.

I think that was an issue with a belt made by a company that wasn't approved for IBJJF competition. But he could have borrowed a belt from someone else.

As for the gi, the people who approve the gi's at these comps use a measurement tool, So I don't see how you can say this is a subjective call by them. Seems like it's pretty objective to me. If the gi is within standards when they measure it with the tool, you can use it. If it's not, you can't. Gi being too tight is unfair to the other competitors, because it can cause gripping problems.

All sports regulating bodies have uniform standards for their athletes. This isn't something new.

No, the guy was literally told his belt was not the correct shade of purple. Sure, he could have borrowed one, but that's not the point.

As far as the sleeve tool goes, yes, it's supposed to used the same way on every person for every measurement, but that doesn't happen, and the interpretation ends up in the hands of the official. Sure, there are always going to be good examples of when gis are legitimately too small, but the process is far more subjective than it should be.

The entire point of this is pretty simple- the ibjjf continues to make participation in its events more expensive, with little to no benefit to the competitor. When you are at an event that you have traveled hundreds or even thousands of miles for, you are going to pay even more if you have to to prevent disqualification. How any of this is good for jiu jitsu, i have no idea. If you want to improve the quality of competition, make it cheaper. More people will participate. Phone Post

I think BJJ1553 is Carlos Gracie Jr. Phone Post

I know a guy who weighed himself on one of their unofficial scales and was ok. He then went to get weighed on the official scale and was dq'd by like .2 lbs. He was like let me weigh in on the one right net to it over the barrier since he was ok on that one 3 mins earlier. Official was like no, too bad.

Nobody of any rank "has to" register anything with the IBJJF.

they just need to weigh in without the gi to get rid of this stupid ripstop pants shit.

BJJ1553 -
spider guard - the only scale that is official is the one they weigh you on when they call you to fight. Outside scale is for reference only and not official.

I agree to an extent. However, shouldn't the scales be calibrated to be the same? I mean if it's gonna be .2 off then you get dq'd, then that's a big deal. People spend months training for a big event and spend good money for the event. It makes no sense for people to weigh themselves on the IBJJF "unofficial scale" only to be heavy on the official scale. They are both provided for by the IBJJF.

BJJ1553 - 
spider guard - 
BJJ1553 -
spider guard - the only scale that is official is the one they weigh you on when they call you to fight. Outside scale is for reference only and not official.

I agree to an extent. However, shouldn't the scales be calibrated to be the same? I mean if it's gonna be .2 off then you get dq'd, then that's a big deal. People spend months training for a big event and spend good money for the event. It makes no sense for people to weigh themselves on the IBJJF "unofficial scale" only to be heavy on the official scale. They are both provided for by the IBJJF.

I also agree to an extent. It's the athletes utmost responsibility in any competition to know his/her weight before the compete. IBJJF provides that outside unofficial scale as a reference only and for convenience. They don't have to provide that scale. Only the official one.

Of course it fall on the athlete to make weight, but the assumption is that if you are ok on a scale being provided by the organization, that you would be ok on the official scale. I don't think there is anyone who would assume other wise. The competitors go on and off of that scale all day and a tournament, so they are cognizant of their weight. To have it not calibrated to the official one is ridiculous. If your reference, in this case the IBJJF scale, says you are ok, then it's only logical to assume you are safe. If it said you were off, then of course you would lose weight.

Spiderguard don't try debating with BJJ1553 about problems with IBJJF he will defend it and make excuses no matter what you say. Phone Post

Just for reference, the USJF (judo) membership is $50 a year.

The IBJJF runs the most well organized tournaments around and they are no more expensive than other major tournaments. People need to stop crying. Yes the IBJJF is a business and they are in it to make money (gasp), but they also have done more to grow the sport than just about anyone else. Buncha haters.

I just think it's funny that if it was discovered today that the IBJJF was responsible for the Holocaust. BJJ1553 would find a reason why it was necessary. Phone Post

Yeah IBJJF sucks. So does FIFA, MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL, FIA...they suck along with all their "unfair" rules and regulations!!

I guess to you, if you have enough money to buy an F1 car, you can just show up at the Monaco Grand Prix and and FIA will let you race, right?

hahaha IBJJF has more and more competitors each year, this isn't keeps anyone from competing. If you're legit, what's the problem with filling out some papers and getting an ID card? Yeah the $35 for the card is surely going to bankrupt you!

The MLB, NBA, NFL don't keep out players because they don't have certificates from coaches who registered with their organizations.

If my dad home-schooled me and coached me in our backyard until I was 22, then I showed up and could play like an NFL player, I would be playing in the NFL. They wouldn't care one bit who my coach was, the only thing that matters is results.

Dana White doesn't care who your coach is, the only thing that matters is can you fight.

Similarly, it shouldn't matter whether the guy who gave me a blackbelt had registered or was certified with Carlinhos. If I claim to be a blackbelt and want to compete against blackbelts, whether or not I'm a fraud will be clear in the first 15 seconds of the match.

Similarly, if I claim to be an NFL-level quarterback and walk up to the coaching staff and ask for a tryout, they could figure out within 3 throws if I was full of crap or not.

Moreover, I would go further to say that it's extremely implausible that there would ever be a problem with fake blackbelts showing up to compete. The Matt Barvos of the world don't want to be humiliated like that.

I can only think of the one guy who hid in a turtle and was clowned by Galvao that was (apparently) a fraud and competed at the blackbelt level.

As a sidenote, I have plenty of friends who are excellent competitors and have traveled to California for IBJJF tournaments. Pretty much everyone has had a negative experience with the draconian and arbitrary style of the tournament staff.

The whole system just seems like a ton of red tape to solve a problem that doesn't really exist, and in the rare cases it does exist, would be solved quickly enough on the mat where things are supposed to be settled anyway.

I have travelled from Louisiana to Cali for several ibjjf events throughout the years and haven't had a problem yet. You know why? Like an adult, I read the rules, k ow my weight, make sure my uniform is legal etc. these things are my job as a competitor. Phone Post

mjm345 - I have travelled from Louisiana to Cali for several ibjjf events throughout the years and haven't had a problem yet. You know why? Like an adult, I read the rules, k ow my weight, make sure my uniform is legal etc. these things are my job as a competitor. Phone Post

Agreed I do the same 

But I still reserve the right to bitch about the stupid leg reap rule & to screw with BJJ1553. Everything else about the IBJJF is pretty damn good in my book. There's a few things I think could be done better but nothing major. I am also a supporter of the registration system. All it does is leads legitimacy to the sport and it's competitors. At the end of the day I'm gonna register and compete in as many IBJJF events as I can afford to, you don't see me doing that for GQ or NAGA tournaments.

I agree they are far from perfect and of course there are areas that need improvement, but overall the complaints that regularly get brought up on this forum ar bullshit.

The leg reap rule is terrible and bullshit, but I am aware of it and as a result I adjust my game accordingly. I don't even fuck with legs at a federation tournament because I am not gonna risk getting DQed over it. Everyone knows about the stupid rule now, so if you wanna go for a leg and risk it, you should live with the consequence. I swear I have seen a lot of guys reap intentionally to get out of a match they are losing so they can get up and throw a fit and act tough to save face. "I got DQed" sounds a lot tougher than "I lost 20-0" when they tell the story the next day.

I have also seen plenty of people get DQed for illegal uniforms and missing weight. I have zero sympathy for them. The rules are all in black and white and if you are unsure if your uniform is legal, you have 2 choices, get another one you are sure is legal or ask ahead of time.

For the nogi worlds I had a pair of shorts that I wasn't sure about so I emailed a picture to the fed. I received an email back from Alvaro Mansur himself telling me the shorts were ok. Even so, I brought plain black backup shorts to be safe.

People missing weight - You should be well aware that you have 1 shot to make weight. If you are on the line, you need to register a weight up to be safe. If you are trying to cut 20 lbs for a BJJ tournament a month out and miss weight, that is your fault, not the ibjjf. Do you have any idea how long it would take to get through 2000 competitors if everyone was allowed 10 min for a second weigh in?

I agree 100% we have the right to bitch and that's the only way things will change, but when people act like the IBJJF is Satan's side project it is just laughable.

mjm345 - Just for reference, the USJF (judo) membership is $50 a year.

The IBJJF runs the most well organized tournaments around and they are no more expensive than other major tournaments. People need to stop crying. Yes the IBJJF is a business and they are in it to make money (gasp), but they also have done more to grow the sport than just about anyone else. Buncha haters.

Just for reference, that price also includes competitor insurance. Not to mention Judo tournaments are typically $20 to compete in.

Just for reference, talk to anyone who has tried to make a claim on that insurance. It barely covers anything.

I have another question

Do you need to be registered with the ibjjf to compete in a usbjjf event (like gi and nogi nationals)?

Clarification, please:

Am I, or am I not, required to be registered with the IBJJF in order to compete in next year's pan's as a brown belt?