Can Jones/Silva NOT Happen Because...

They are now both high profile Nike Sponsored athletes?
I know it was stated that Anderson's sponsorship was strictly regional, but according to the Fighters Only Mag article below, he is in fact signed to a Worldwide sponsorship deal as well, with his own Signature line of apparel in the works.

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/content/news/16927-more-nike-news-andersons-deal-is-worldwide

Would Nike have the right/ability to include a clause that states that any MMA athletes that are signed to a Major sponsorship deal under Nike will be unable to compete against one another? Would a major loss by either of these guys tarnish the deal? I would think that major wins/losses would probably effect a sponsorship dollars in one way or another, no?

I wonder what the UG thinks (which is why I posted this), also if there is anybody with more inside information, or more intimate details in regards to high profile sponsorship deals like this.

I don't think Nike has anything to do with it. They clearly just don't want to fight each other.

WhereInTheWorldIsRicardoArona - 

Jones doesn't want any of that Phone Post

Anderson also does not want any of that.

Although many wars were fought like that, there is no honor in using your enemy to defeat your enemy. Leave them alone. Instead why not go trane UFC and "save" the sport yourself?

Good to see Andy get a global Nike deal too. 

Allucard - Although many wars were fought like that, there is no honor in using your enemy to defeat your enemy. Leave them alone. Instead why not go trane UFC and "save" the sport yourself?

What are you talking about?

slugshot331 -  Good to see Andy get a global Nike deal too. 

Definitely. Just sucks, now I have so much stuff I'm going to want to buy when their lines are available in stores.

SMS89 - 

Definitely. Just sucks, now I have so much stuff I'm going to want to buy when their lines are available in stores.

Not me haha.  I'm an Andy nuthugger, not a fan of Jones at all :p

More Nike news: Anderson's deal is worldwide

www.fightersonlymag.com/content/news/16927-more-nike-news-andersons-deal-is-worldwide 

August 9th 2012

Yesterday the news broke that light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones has signed a worldwide exclusive deal with Nike.

In doing so he has landed the most important sponsorship in the history of MMA and has one-upped middleweight champion Anderson Silva. Some time ago Anderson signed a deal with Nike Brasil but the news didn’t have the same impact because it wasn’t a worldwide deal like Jones’.

However, we are reliably informed that Anderson’s deal IS in fact a worldwide deal and that his branded products will be rolled out across the globe, although like Jones’ branded products they probably won’t be in literally every sports store that carries Nike products.

The source says that Anderson’s branded line - at least some of which will carry his trademark ‘Killer Bee’ logo - will feature tennis shoes and polo shirts as well as the expected standard t-shirt and athletic apparel products.

Anderson’s product line is currently in the development stage and samples are apparently already being put to consumer study groups for feedback on style, colour and materials. The middleweight champion himself has visited Nike’s headquarters in Oregon several times and recently tweeted some pictures from one of the visits.

One of the pictures was of a t-shirt that is expected to be in the first wave of his branded products. It bears the legend ‘Silva Knows’. That will be a familiar phrase to sports apparel historians, being one of the Nike stock slogans that has been used on signature shirts for many of their more famous athletes.

It stems from a 1980s sponsorship of Bo Jackson, who was an athlete competing in the NFL and Major League Baseball. Playing on his multiple sporting activities, Nike came up with the line ‘Bo Knows Sports’, later truncated to ‘Bo Knows’. There was an advertising series where they had him partake in different activities - eg tennis - with a star from that sport then declaring “Bo Knows Tennis!”

^ Thanks

slugshot331 - 
SMS89 - 

Lucky you. I'm a huge fan of both, and so is my girlfriend. She'll just have to borrow my JBJ and Spider shirts and wear them as pajamas.

SMS89 - 
slugshot331 - 
SMS89 - 

Lucky you. I'm a huge fan of both, and so is my girlfriend. She'll just have to borrow my JBJ and Spider shirts and wear them as pajamas.

lol

Why would Nike care if JBJ and Anderson fought each other? They would have both fighters wearing Nike so good for them.

That would be like Tapout not wanting two of their top fighters fighting each other. The brand just wants to get their names and products out there. Phone Post

Fernando Alonso - 

Why would Nike care if JBJ and Anderson fought each other? They would have both fighters wearing Nike so good for them.

That would be like Tapout not wanting two of their top fighters fighting each other. The brand just wants to get their names and products out there. Phone Post

But wouldn't it jeopardize the sponsorship for the loser? I mean, either guy losing to the other wouldn't really be a big deal, but what if that loss triggered a long losing skid for one guy? Wouldn't that effect his value?

Maybe it's more of a negative for the Athlete than the sponsor? I guess Nike could just move on to the next big thing, and leave the athlete stranded...

TTT Phone Post