Canelo vs Saunders Results/Highlights

canelos English getting very good.

1 Like

Yes. Whether heā€™s winning or losing, this is the right call.

2 Likes

BJS has a Quadripod fracture, so basically his cheek bone and right eye socket are broken up like a jigsaw puzzle, and this could potentially end his career.

1 Like

Boxing also has a history of fighters that have a mentally that they still gave a path to victory no matter what. Those fighters are rightly venerated.
My issue is he had one bad round. He was closing his eye i the corner. He had one bad round and wanted out. His corner could have gave some advice like. ā€œKeep that right hand up, do not drop it. Heā€™s hitting you when you duck with a shovel hook and heā€™s loading up so if you duck again keep a tight guard and come up with a left hook. Double up on it and finish with the crossā€.

He may have lost he , may have had another bad round in which case Iā€™d be more than ok with his corner stopping it. Iā€™m ok with them stopping it the way they did . Iā€™m not saying heā€™s a pussy or something either. Iā€™m just saying thereā€™s some fighters that would have been absolutely livid that their corner stopped the fight. Those fighters are rightly revered for their incredible courage. Iā€™m just saying he proved heā€™s not one of those guys and Iā€™m not mad that could/should, loose a bit of stock from that. Fighting through something like that and even in some cases getting the win is what gives some fighters legend status. Heā€™s basically taken that off the board for himself.
Just to be clear about a couple of things. Iā€™m sure BJS gives no fucks about someone like me commenting on his performance on the internet. Nor should he. By the same token he also shouldnā€™t be mad if his drawing power isnā€™t as big going forward.
The other thing is . My opinion is not influenced by the commentators AT ALL. I funking hate when people clearly have an opinion thatā€™s been assigned to the. By the commentry.

I think the guys who would fight through that are revered to the extreme, almost as god-like. This creates a norm where people think that if you canā€™t fight through something like that, youā€™re not tough. This is one of the problems with boxing culture. BJS is one tough motherfucker, it was clear with how many shots he took in that fight and kept coming. Not only did he keep going, but he was trying to win.

The problem is that protecting yourself from a potential career ending injury and/or from long term brain damage from a beating is not seen as smart, itā€™s seen as quitting. There was a fight on the Triller card where the guy faked a low blow. That guy flat out fucking quit. He didnā€™t want to be in there and he found a way out. Boxing is a sport that kills people. Not wanting to be one of those people does not make you a quitter.

3 Likes

I think your entire post is at odds with the history and culture of boxing. I donā€™t know of any respected corners that would allow a fight to continue with that injury. If you want to cite Margarito, do it. Him fighting through that injury cost him his career.

1 Like

One of the most legendary fights of all-time, the Thrilla in Manilla, not only ended with a corner stoppage. But, had Frazier answered the bell, Aliā€™s would not have.

@ mastero and wiggium.
I realise my posts probably sound contradictory in the sense Iā€™m not happy how it ended but ( and this is the part I probably havenā€™t made clear) It wasnā€™t necessarily a bad stoppage. A decent argument can be made that it was a great stoppage.
Yes BJS is tough. But the thing is but people who tune in take that as a given, as they should. Thatā€™s just the way it is. People donā€™t tune in to go" well shit I wouldnā€™t have fought after taking those punches so I donā€™t blame him for not wanting to fight through that. They tune in to see and be inspired by greatness. Thatā€™s just true. Itā€™s not about " the sweet science " itā€™s the elure of whitnessing greatness.
It is absolutely true that boxing corners have a history of airing on the side of safety for their fighter. So Iā€™m understanding to that. Iā€™m understanding to the fact it wasnā€™t a bad stoppage by his corner especially considering how BJS was in his corner. Did it possibly save his career/ later health in life. More than likely yes.
All that being said ( and again to re-itterate Iā€™m not saying BJS isnā€™t tough , he is ) he Quit. Straight up. He got his orbital broken and he wanted no part of that fight any more. Iā€™m willing to bet if he was still enthusiastic about fighting his corner would have given him at least one more round. Understandable, yes. But also unfortunate.
I guess Iā€™m unapologetically saying I hold fighters that are literally amongst the best in the world to a higher standard. I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything wrong with that. Itā€™s not out of some masochistic urge to see someone get beat up for my pleasure either.
The best outcome would obviously been him to come out really rise to the occasion and step his defence up a notch after realising the urgency now. Granted that was not likely realistic. But barring that I would have liked to see him at least want to continue. People travel a long way to see fights sometimes and even bet big money. At the end of the day it wasnā€™t a bad stoppage. It was probably even a good one. It was a test of his fortitude though and he did what most people would do , he just didnā€™t do what most people would like to see him do , which is show courage that they themselves donā€™t posess.

1 Like

Also didnā€™t Ali ask his own corner to stop it, a request that was denied? Frazier was one of the toughest motherfuckers in boxing, and Ali was an extremely durable fighter as well.

1 Like

He couldnā€™t get up to " celebrate victory " so to speak.
Apparently he mentioned not going out. According to Angelo dundee he would have if the fight wasnā€™t stopped. I tend to believe that.
Frasier was super tough. Even without that chip on his shoulder he probably still would have wanted to fight. He just wouldnā€™t have remained bitter about it.

Well itā€™s quite obvious you have never boxed or probably even been punched on the face so this goes for pretty much everybody not just the gypsy.

A broken orbital is really bad news, do some reading on it and educate yourself a bit better. Seriously.

1 Like

@bungee_up is also upset Weidman did not just ā€œbite his mouthpiece and tough it outā€ after his leg got checked.

2 Likes

I had no doubt he had fractured his orbital at the time, and to be clear, thatā€™s a devastating injury

Thatā€™s a quote from. A previous post.

Iā€™m not Mr badass here.
Iā€™ve been in a handful of street fights, had my nose broken a few times and had 1 amateur mauy thai fight . ( none of this shin guard shit )
So yes. I have been punched in the face.
I havenā€™t had my orbital. But I did break a bouncers orbital ( and my knuckle) didnā€™t slow him down a bit. He would have continued to kick the shit out of me if it wasnā€™t for 4 other bouncers that told him to stop.
He was a fuckwit though and deserved it. He tried pressing charges and told everyone Iā€™d hit him when he was tieing his shoe / picking up a glass I broke. Both bullshits. It didnā€™t go anywhere when the cops realised he was talking shit.

He should trust his corner to make the right call. Some fighters donā€™t know when to draw the line (canā€™t blame them). Trusting your corner to make the call is a good idea when you want to continue your career and/or get back to your family.

Watching Felder throw his broken arm at Mike Perry is admirable in some ways, yes. But itā€™s not worth it is it generally? Taking bad head shots is even worse.

2 Likes

Yup. Ali asked his corner to take his gloves off - they didnā€™t. Meanwhile, Forman wanted to keep going but his corner wouldnā€™t allow it.

Gaethje - one of MMAā€™s toughest guys - has said this. He trusts Wittman to make the call so he doesnā€™t ever have to worry about it.

Fair enough for your whole post. I see it a bit differently, but appreciate the thoughtfulness.

1 Like

Absolutely. Whatā€™s worse is the compubox stats were in line with the judges. They had Canelo, the power puncher, outlanding BJS who was only throwing range-finder jabs. You canā€™t and donā€™t give rounds for that. I think itā€™s another case of ppl seeing someone doing slightly better than Caneloā€™s previous few opponents and taking that as a W.

1 Like

I saw canelo winning most of the early rounds and thought Saunders looked like he had ring rust from only fighting twice in 2 years. In 6 and 7 he seemed to shake it off and I gave him both rounds and thought it looked like the momentum was changing, but that right in the 8th ended it. His eye was shut before he even got back to the corner, and now we know how bad the break was it was absolutely the right call for the corner to stop it.

Gotta laugh at the keyboard warriors pretending he faked it and was closing his eye so he could quit thoughā€¦

2 Likes

You broke your nose a couple times so now you demand that people with caved-in faces that could become life altering injuries (if theyā€™re not already) should continue for your entertainment?

Get the fuck out of here.

Iā€™m sure him and everyone else give no shits about the respect of a warrior such as yourself.