Canelo vs Saunders Results/Highlights

He didn’t fake a broken orbital. He was closing his eye during the round. He didn’t want to continue. The corner made a good call based on that if not the injury itself.
I prefer when fighters I like show a willingness to fight through situations most would not. Guess what. So do you and everybody else. BJS is not that guy. That’s ok. He’s still a tough talented boxer.

I don’t demand shit.
He’s a grown ass man. He can do whatever the fuck he wants.
I respect him. I will never revere him.

He doesn’t need anyone’s reverence, nor does any other fighter. Tough guys like Gatti or Frazier are not the norm, yet in some of boxing’s biggest fights, these guys are treated as if they are pussies if they don’t live up to that standard. Those 2 examples are ANOMALIES.

In MMA, guys like Ferguson, Poirier and the Diaz brothers are anomalies. I don’t watch every fight expecting to see equal levels of toughness. I have no idea what it’s like to be in there. I’ve only sparred a few dozen times. I’ve never quit (yes I’ve been hurt multiple times), but I have thought about it before. Nobody on this forum can take 1 or 2 power shots from a world class, multiple division boxing champ, let alone 50 or 60.

I’m another post you said “people like to see levels of courage that they don’t possess themselves”. I see that in every fight card I watch. I don’t possess the courage to put all of my time and energy into training. I’ve never had a training camp. I don’t have the courage to step into a cage. Stepping in there alone takes a lot of fucking guts, and I have an appreciation for that. Are there always going to be fighters with incredible heart? Of course there are, but that doesn’t mean other guys should be insulted or criticized for not being as tough. There are levels of toughness just like there are levels of physical skill.

4 Likes

Absolutely. It’s a sport where damage is inevitable, but not every contest needs to end with a broken limb or in a crumpled unconscious heap to know who the winner is.

1 Like

3 Likes

I don’t disagree.
I respect anyone who gets in there as well. I probably don’t assign as much respect as some people do though. We’re talking about a fist fight here. We’re not talking about landing a space ship on Mars or a soldier sacrificing himself by jumping on a grenade. It doesn’t take an incredible amount of courage just to get in there. The amount of courage is determined by the adversity faced in the fight itself.
You know what would have taken courage. If he was winning that fight and still wanted out. If he said " fuck I don’t no about this , something wrong. I’m in arms reach of the title but it’s not worth it.
If he gave up his dream for that I would say that’s a sacrifice worthy of respect.

I’m basically on board with everything you’re saying. I’ve just got a slightly different take.
He’s by no means a pussy . But there’s a degree of " if you’re going to talk the talk and don’t walk the walk " you made your bed , now you have to lie in it.
It’s not a question of lost respect. He had a chance to gain a lot and he missed it . But as I said. He doesn’t give a shit what I think,nor should he.
Aging. This is a really bad injury so not referring to this but I think sometimes other fighters do forget that this is a fight. This is what you’re getting paid to do. You are expected to go in and perform. You’re expected to try tor win at all times. I think it’s healthy to remind fighters of that sometimes. That’s the barrier for entry. If they aren’t comfortable with that then they’re in the wrong game. That being said .people break in combat sports. It’s part of the game. That in itself is not terrible. I’m referring to fighters that just won’t pull the trigger / engage or have some kind of mental block preventing them from doing their job.

I understand your position . Your opinion is definitely not wrong.

1 Like

BJS would have been battered and finished the next round.

He has to eat his words for talking shit about other guys that quit on the stool but it’s not like he was going to win.

It would have ended badly for him, so good thing it was stopped though I personally would have enjoyed seeing get finished off.

2 Likes

25 mins behind scenes. Matchroom.

1 Like