Catch the kick overhand

Gary Hughes

you wrote:

"Taking a shot, so you can land yours, was also used by Japanese Karate fighters, because they felt their shot would be more effective. They did hit very hard."

I do Japanese karate. Its called "ai uchi" and is exactly like you describe.

IMNSHO, I have no idea how strong the other guy is, so I don't want him to hit me. Sometimes its inevitable. But, of all the possible responses, I think taking a shot in order to get yours in is risky.

Mark

Catching the kick underhand is a better method. The overhand may work as an afterthought (you're already taken the kick) but the underhand scoop allows you to step in and take some of the power off and hook the leg.

this is a common thing in both Thai Boxing and San Da, but I think people in MMA are just beginning to see it's potential

Doesn't Cung Le do this a lot? Or he catches the kick and sweeps for a takedown.

Doesn't Cung Le do this a lot?It is one of the main strategies of san shou.

Awsome pics!

Did Randleman hit Cro with this?

No

"Did Randleman hit Cro with this?"

Randleman dropped Crocop with a left hook while they stalked each other, and then pounded him from the guard until the stoppage.

lol@stoppage... it was a clean KO

Randleman landed the punch right as Cro Cop was about to kick him.

"lol@stoppage... it was a clean KO"

The ref stopped it though whether Crocop was out or not. KO's on the ground are different from standing ko's. A guy usually keeps landing shots till the ref jumps in even if the guy is out. It's easier to realize a guy is out standing.

If done right, no can defend.