CB Dollaway talks Machida, wants next Title fight!

New interview with CB Dollaway over the weekend on Submission Radio

Some Topics Covered:
-Road Rage
-Reaction when he got the fight
-Dealing with Machida's elusive style
-Lyoto being vulnerable in the later rounds
-Learning from Ryan Bader's fight
-Having fans and critics count him out against Machida
-Fighting in Brazil
-The Tim Boetsch Robbery
-Not wanting any title eliminator fights
-Stacking up against Weidman
-Matching up against Luke Rockhold
-Being at the "Time is Now" presser and being inspired by all the big names
-What he does for fun
-If he still keeps in contact with his TUF 7 castmates
-If he'd change his name to CB "Dollabills" Dollaway

Some Quotes:

On CB’s biggest weapon against Machida
“Obviously my wrestling. Obviously if you look at the Chris Weidman fight it did give him a lot of trouble when Chris was able to take him down, get on top. Also you know my boxing is getting pretty good. I’ve been spending a lot of time with my boxing coach and I feel confident if I catch Lyoto with a punch I can put him to sleep. You know my punching power is there with both hands. Obviously he’s not easy to hit, but we’ve been working on a lot of things, a lot of good head movement to get out of the way and avoid his counter strikes and land some strikes of my own. And really the key is to be able to just mix everything up. Obviously that’s my game plan, but you know I gotta get out there and just be a mixed martial artist. I gotta kind of be thinking takedown, or am I gonna punch, or am I gonna kick, or am I gonna try to submit him. Just wherever the fight goes I’ve gotta be a mixed martial artist and apply everything. I can’t go out with a one track mind of ‘I’m just gonna wrestle Lyoto, or I’m just going to stand up with him’ cause that’s not going to work. He’s too high level of a guy. So I really have to put everything together.”

On people not giving CB a chance against Lyoto and underestimating him
[I]“Oh yeah, I mean that’s been the story of my last, really my last four fights. The Tim Boetsch fight, no one gave me a shot. I think I got robbed and so do a lot of other people. You know obviously I lost a split decision but whatever, and everyone said I wouldn’t last with him. And then fought - who did I fight? - Cezar Ferreira after that and everyone was like ‘oh I don’t have a chance there’. I knocked him out in 39 seconds. Then going into the Francis Carmont fight, ‘oh he doesn’t have a chance there. Carmont is going to wrestle him, do all that’ and I was able to come out on top on that [fight]. So I’ve been the underdog in all my last fights and I kind of like that role, and it does fuel me to go in there and try to prove everyone wrong. And the way I see it, I have nothing to lose you know. I’m a guy going out with everything to gain and this is my shot.”

On feeling about fighting in Brazil
“If you watched my Tim Boetsch fight that happened in the States, that was pretty much a highway robbery. And then in Brazil I was able to get a decision victory over Daniel Sarafian in a very close fight, which I think was a closer fight than the Tim Boetsch fight. So no worries about going to Brazil. You know I believe they're fair and whatever. If you leave it in the hands of the judges, that’s what you’re going to get. You’re going to get someone else’s opinion, and it may not be how you thought the fight went, but it doesn’t matter. So it really gives me that motivation to go out there and try to finish fights.”

On looking for the late finish later in the rounds
"I've noticed in those fights [that] in the later rounds he starts to stand in front of people more, he starts to slow down, he isn't as agile. So you've got to be patient and know that your time will come when he will stand there and fight with you. The running will stop"
“Yeah I’ll be looking for the finish early, late, whenever. You know if it presents itself, but you gotta fight to how he’s gonna fight. You gotta understand that if he’s going to run, that’s not the time to try to attack him. You gotta be patient and take your spots and know that the time will come, but you never know, he may come after me early. I doubt it, but if he does you know I’ll be ready for that too. But you just gotta be ready to adjust to whatever he’s going to do and know what you’re going to do to take care of whatever he offers.”

On Dollaway wanting a title fight if he beats Machida
“I think I deserve a title shot. Going back to that Tim Boetsch fight where a lot people know I won that fight. So if that didn’t happen with the split decision bull crap, this would be the third victory over a top ten opponent. [There's] some good finishes there and some good fights, you know people, they're seeing [that] I’m an exciting fighter. So yeah I think people would like to see me get in there and mix it up with whoever comes out on top in February, because I think I’ve earned it.”

Thoughts on Luke Rockhold matchup and not wanting a title eliminator
“You know I trained with Luke. He’s very tough, very skilled. Yeah, he’s got a great case too, but if he did get the title shot I’d be willing to wait and improve my own skills and take the winner. I just feel that my next fight I want a title fight. I don’t want a title eliminator, I don’t want another main event. You know I want to go for that title. I’m not getting any younger, I’m 31 years old this year. You know I’ve suffered injuries and stuff. I know that every fight you risk getting injured, so I don’t want any more in between. I want that title fight. I want to get this victory over Lyoto and I want my next fight to be a title fight. I don’t want to take one in between and blow an ACL out or something. I just know how hard it is to come back from injuries and like I said, I’m not getting any younger. I’ve wrestled since I was 5 years old, my body, it’s getting worn out. So I don’t know how many more years I have in the sport. So if the opportunity is there I know what I want.”

On how CB feels he matches up against Chris Weidman
“Oh you know it'd be pretty cut and dry. Were both great wrestlers which usually negates the wrestling part. I know he’s very good on the ground. I’m pretty skilled myself, but I could see it turning into a pretty good stand up war and be an exciting fight for the fans, and you know I definitely feel like I could come out on top. like I said, I would take that extra time to improve my skills. I know him and Vitor have a fight in February. If someone else got the next shot before me, like I said, I’d be willing to wait and prove my skills, and you know just kind of dial everything in. I’ve been pretty busy as of lately so a nice little break is always welcome, and yeah I think I could put on an exciting fight for the fans and it would just be good for everybody.”

On being more outspoken in the UFC lately
“Yeah I mean that’s just something I’ve learnt you have to be. You know, closed mouths don’t get fed as the saying goes, and it’s just part of the job. You know coming up in the sport I didn’t realize that it is a part of it. Fighting is one part, and then you’ve got to learn to promote yourself, you’ve got to brand yourself. There’s a lot more to fighting than just fighting and that’s something I’m learning and I’m just growing as I’m just coming into my own. And it’s just something you gotta do, it’s another part of the job. I’ve not really been one to wanna be really outspoken, but if that’s what it takes then that’s what I’m going to do.”

Prediction on how he’s beating Lyoto Machida
“Hopefully with a first round knockout. Walk in and take care of business early.”

No doubt CB has gotten better, but Machida is probably too big of a step up in competition.

Mayhem was dropping CB in their fight. And mayhem does not have the best stand-up in the world. Machida has his own type of fuckin karate, you don't fuck with that!

Either way, I'm hoping for a good fight, but this has Machida by KO written all over it. Phone Post 3.0

TheRealMrBeefy - No doubt CB has gotten better, but Machida is probably too big of a step up in competition.

Mayhem was dropping CB in their fight. And mayhem does not have the best stand-up in the world. Machida has his own type of fuckin karate, you don't fuck with that!

Either way, I'm hoping for a good fight, but this has Machida by KO written all over it. Phone Post 3.0
Cbs boxing has came a very, very long way since the mayhem fight Phone Post 3.0

TheRealMrBeefy - No doubt CB has gotten better, but Machida is probably too big of a step up in competition.

Why say he has got better then bring up a fight 2 and a half years ago? Phone Post 3.0

hendofanforlife -

He was yelling all kinds of nonsense at the presser. 

This. There's a thread about the tirade he went on and how he took over that presser. Phone Post 3.0

hendofanforlife -

He was yelling all kinds of nonsense at the presser. 

Yes!

Silent but deadly. Phone Post 3.0