Cerrone Reveals He Quit in McGregor Fight

Cerrone, who will face Joe Lauzon at UFC 274 to spark the PPV main card, is widely regarded as one of the most game and capable fighters of his time. Although he never won a UFC championship he came pretty damn close and seems to set new records every time he steps inside of the cage.
One of the biggest UFC fights for Cerrone came against none other than Conor McGregor at UFC 246 back in Jan. 2020. “Cowboy” had called for a matchup with McGregor multiple times before that, but didn’t seem totally prepared for his battle with the Irishman. In turn, McGregor walked into the cage and sparked Cerrone with a 40-second TKO (watch HERE). It was arguably one of the most disappointing performances of Cerrone’s career, especially since McGregor was competing outside of his own weight class at 170 pounds and hadn’t fought in well over a year.
Leading into this weekend’s UFC 274 event Cerrone was asked about the McGregor fight and revealed that he didn’t want any part of it. Cerrone spoke candidly and openly about how he felt leading up to his walkout and while he was in the cage with McGregor.

2 Likes

Honesty like this is so rare now.
I like it

2 Likes

Eh, I’d say McGregor MADE him quit is a more accurate statement.

2 Likes

He totally quit against Tony when he started blowing his nose to get the doctor to stop it.

He did it a few times knowing full well the eye would swell and the fight would be stopped instead of going out on his shield.

2 Likes

As exciting as his fights can be, there is no telling what kinda performance is gonna come out of him now. Always been a fan but damn can he let u down.

2 Likes

Cerrone crumbles. Not criticizing him, just an honest observation.

1 Like

Don’t u hate it that this guy was right?

Not like it wasn’t observed by many others from the get go….and yeah Cowboy has been a great fighter but he has clearly not been up to it mentally for most of his big fights.

7 Likes

Rogan gonna have to apologize

3 Likes

I was really surprised Cerrone would even admit to something like this free willingly. His humanity shines with his humility but he should have probably just kept that to himself.

Regardless the man is a true warrior and I’ve always held him in the highest esteem for making the walks and even all of the short notice step ups.

1 Like

Pretty much, it doesn’t really change much, thr results are the results and we always seen him choke in the big fights but his career has still been great and he’s had awesome fights - finishes both standing and on the ground.

I guess he did win some big ones, against Eddie, Bendo rubber match.

TBH, he seemed to have that mindset in other fights as well, its just that he was able to get his 2nd wind when his opponents let up with the pressure. He’s definitely a tough guy however, and I hope he opens a school so I can go there.

1 Like

This happens quite a bit as Chael has mentioned. When guys are done they’ll easily give up a neck or give their back.

I think the point is that he didn’t even show up to begin with. In his own words, didn’t he say himself he didn’t even wanna be there?

1 Like

Not the first time he appeared to quit.

Donald is a frontrunner/confidence fighter.

If you can hurt him early he struggles.

1 Like

The hate wasn’t fair IMO. Yeah he’s a little smug but he was right. I think the fans and fighters were just feeling protective

Yeah, he said he hasn’t trained very hard in last 3 or 4 fights.

he will retire soon

I think you’re missing the fact that he admitted he lost before he even stepped in the octagon. We’ve seen him fold in the big fights but suspected he was mentally weak going into the fights. He unfortunately confirmed it.

1 Like