Chael Sonnen: BJJ an innefective fad

if it wasnt for alphamael sonnen, we'd be talking about how mma's as dead as boxing

MMA reporting on Chael Sonnen has hit Lindsay Lohan levels. Anytime this guy farts its breaking news! Who cares what Chael says? This guy is the Paris Hilton of MMA, he'll say or do anything to get some attention. I pray to god he does not get a reality show!

The short version of that interview is as follows:

"So Chael, have you learned to defend the triangle choke yet?"

"No."

Marzz - LOL@the dummies finding some sort of "irony" in him mentioning the triangle. The whole fucking point is that he wants it banned because he always loses by it!!!!! Self deprecation... how does it work?

It's a little disturbing, isn't it?
Not those that don't find him funny, but those that think "AHA!, I can make him look stupid!", then run and make a list of all the loses he has by submission.
That's the point, scholars.

StardogChampion - MMA reporting on Chael Sonnen has hit Lindsay Lohan levels. Anytime this guy farts its breaking news! Who cares what Chael says? This guy is the Paris Hilton of MMA, he'll say or do anything to get some attention. I pray to god he does not get a reality show!

Chael's own show would be awesome! Great new programming to go with UFC on Fox :) Phone Post

When I read a thread like this it reminds me of that family guy character that says, "Hey!, that guy's a phony, a big fat phony!"

LOL at "Uncle Dana"

Fael is so fuckin brain damaged from being damaged from roids and being subbed its sad he needs to retire asap for his health

Pernicious -  I enjoy it, because he looks like he enjoys the ridiculousness of it all. Like he's gonna break character at any moment. Phone Post

This! Chael is the Ric Flair of MMA!

Honestly though he probably is right to some degree. Kind of like tae kwon do, karate, kung fu all had there moments it looks like BJJ is where it's at now. Within 8 years grappling will be so over commercialized, there will be a lot of schools where their are unqualified instructors, and lousy students interest will fade as it looses its edge.

I am amazed at how easily BJJers are trolled. Bunch of Einsteins on this thread.

ausgepicht - I am amazed at how easily BJJers are trolled. Bunch of Einsteins on this thread.

I'm amazed at how easily Sonnen supporters were trolled. LOL they actually thought a guy who accidentally triangles himself while getting out of bed could make it through a title fight with a BJJ black belt?

HexRei - 
ausgepicht - I am amazed at how easily BJJers are trolled. Bunch of Einsteins on this thread.
I'm amazed at how easily Sonnen supporters were trolled. LOL they actually thought a guy who accidentally triangles himself while getting out of bed could make it through a title fight with a BJJ black belt?
Damn. He got you too HexRei?

gm72 - Fael is so fuckin brain damaged from being damaged from roids and being subbed its sad he needs to retire asap for his health

Speaking of brain damage... Phone Post

Seems pretty effective against him. Phone Post

grimsgrindgg - Fael Sonnen is such an epic failure.

Mayweedz - Honestly though he probably is right to some degree. Kind of like tae kwon do, karate, kung fu all had there moments it looks like BJJ is where it's at now. Within 8 years grappling will be so over commercialized, there will be a lot of schools where their are unqualified instructors, and lousy students interest will fade as it looses its edge.

Agreed sadly. In a sense one could say Karate is inneffective for the most part, until someone like Lyoto Machida shows up. There's a massive difference between someone who trains a Martial Art for a few years and someone who lives and breathes it everyday for 10, 20 years, hell their entire life.

KNJacobs - 
Mayweedz - Honestly though he probably is right to some degree. Kind of like tae kwon do, karate, kung fu all had there moments it looks like BJJ is where it's at now. Within 8 years grappling will be so over commercialized, there will be a lot of schools where their are unqualified instructors, and lousy students interest will fade as it looses its edge.

Agreed sadly. In a sense one could say Karate is inneffective for the most part, until someone like Lyoto Machida shows up. There's a massive difference between someone who trains a Martial Art for a few years and someone who lives and breathes it everyday for 10, 20 years, hell their entire life.

Not really. Not really, at all.

Just because you can learn some half-ass boxing at the YMCA under some casual instructor doesnt mean boxing doesnt work. Yes, BJJ will become more "watered down" in the decades to come but that doesnt mean its not indespensable to MMA.

Every fighter trains BJJ or some form of subgrappling.

Karate is not ineffective, you just are not aware of the many karate fighters that have done well in K1 or MMA. Machida broke thru for Shotokan (traditional karate). Kyokushin and its spin-offs have always been part of the equation. Karate is one of the styles that birthed modern kickboxing.

Its real simple: BJJ on its own is not enough. That was known as far back as the 90s.

In terms of the fad thing, maybe.

Everything goes up and down. But as long as MMA is popular and if you've noticed, its getting more and more mainstream, BJJ will always be aroud.

HexRei -  LOL they actually thought a guy who accidentally triangles himself while getting out of bed could make it through a title fight with a BJJ black belt?

lol I spit my drink out