Chael Sonnen: Jones not a big draw; Conor is

Chael Sonnen was a guest on the podcast this week; the interview starts a few minutes into the show, but at this part, Chael talks about Jones getting the immediate title shot, but not being nearly as big of a draw as Conor. Chael says Jones is only around a 500k ppv guy and Conor is a 8-900k ppv draw. Says it's not even close, conor is a way bigger draw.

https://soundcloud.com/brutallyhonestradio/episode-15-chael-sonnen-erik-apple

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/brutally-honest-radio/id1032057470?mt=2

the interview starts a few minutes into the show and covers Jon Jones trial, Nick Diaz trial, conor, uncle dana, metamoris, wsof, pro wrestling, and Chael announces his political plans for the future.  

Didn't Jones draw 800k his last fight Phone Post 3.0

Miguel cro cop - Didn't Jones draw 800k his last fight Phone Post 3.0

the ufc does not release the numbers, so I have no clue. I think Chael would have an inside line on that. Speaking of PPV numbers, it was interesting how BJ said on UFC tonight that him and Kenny did 1.1 million buys. That is big

Tru - 

the ufc does not release the numbers, so I have no clue. I think Chael would have an inside line on that. Speaking of PPV numbers, it was interesting how BJ said on UFC tonight that him and Kenny did 1.1 million buys. That is big

much bigger than the previously reported number of 850,000 (meltzer)

Honey, get out the red panties. We've made it.

One makes news by acting like a WWE idiot, the other makes news by being a legit badass.

Not even close.

People want to see Jon Jones fight. People want to see Connor McGregor lose.

Huge difference.

T-Ham - Honey, get out the red panties. We've made it.

lmfao, took me a second on that one. Good Conor reference.

The UFC invested so much money into the McGregor v Aldo/Mendes fight that there's no way they won't say it was success. They want us to believe that Americans are tuning in to see a shit-talking Irishmen, but most people still don't know who him. Conor is huge in the MMA world, but if he was on Kimmel, Fallon or any other late night show, 85% of the audience would not know him. If Chael had said Ronda's a bigger star, I probably would've believed him. Conor is the UFC's golden boy and that's it.

I think that's hard to gauge after one guy has only been a part of one PPV ever.  Connor did around 800k with, according to Dana, the most press the UFC has ever done and a world tour.  Jones has done 800k twice without that much promotion.  If Connor headlines 5 more and they all do around 800k or more, then yes he's a huge draw.  That would be like gsp numbers, and I don't think Connor can sustain that, but who knows.  

People dont know conor in america...?

Maybe not old people, but the younger generation know who he is Phone Post 3.0

evh -
Tru - 

bj's number is probably super accurate because his pay is dictated by it Phone Post 3.0

Canned Hams -
stainlesssteel -

One makes news by acting like a WWE idiot, the other makes news by being a legit badass.

Not even close.

People want to see Jon Jones fight. People want to see Connor McGregor lose.

Huge difference.

If you think people buy Conor McGregor ppvs to see him lose, you are so far beyond delusional. Phone Post 3.0
Same reason people buy mayweather and wen I have heard Ronda fights. Same with Tito. Phone Post 3.0

danggook -
evh -
Tru - 

bj's number is probably super accurate because his pay is dictated by it Phone Post 3.0
I was shocked when he threw that out there. Has to be accurate and he even had Kenny agree on it. Imagine if they got 1 to 3 dollars on the low side per buy. Phone Post 3.0

Rhys91 - At this point you have to take what Sonnen says with a pinch of salt. Phone Post 3.0
Just a pinch; better than a grain Phone Post 3.0

Tru -
danggook -
evh -
Tru - 

I was shocked when he threw that out there. Has to be accurate and he even had Kenny agree on it. Imagine if they got 1 to 3 dollars on the low side per buy. Phone Post 3.0
Wasn't that fight in a card with Anderson silva vs Forrest griffin? Phone Post 3.0

edit:
yes the two big fights were anderson and bj vs kenny