Chael was landing shots on Anderson standing up

So he had to worry about 2 things: The takedowns and his chin.

JUST TO CLARIFY.... Anderson never got dropped by Chael. He was ALMOST dropped.

And LOL at anyone thinking Anderson wouldnt destroy Chael in a rematch.

Bump for all the haters.

Kalin Johnston - You know why? Because Anderson was more concerned with the takedowns from Sonnen. Exact same thing we seen tonight with Overeem/Werdum. I respect your opinion if you feel that Overeem's striking isn't as good as it is made out to be, but I wanted to share my opinion on why using this fight as an argument is void.
Ugh...how will that change any future fight for Overeem? It is not void. It will be a factor in EVERY MMA fight he is in. So what you are saying is Overeem will not look the same as he does in K1 unless he's in K1? Kind of strange.

i love these expert anaysis of a triagle setup. sure it lead to a quick tap. but everyone is not anderson silva. most cannot afford to toy with a weightcutting crook on steroids, like a kitten with a ball of yarn.

so people are supposed to look at ROIDS??? cause thats all Phael brought to the table

Kalin Johnston - You know why? Because Anderson was more concerned with the takedowns from Sonnen. Exact same thing we seen tonight with Overeem/Werdum. I respect your opinion if you feel that Overeem's striking isn't as good as it is made out to be, but I wanted to share my opinion on why using this fight as an argument is void.

do your homework MOD

chael has legit striking

tiki121 - 

do your homework MOD

chael has legit striking

And Werdum doesn't? Werdum is a "blackbelt" in Muay Thai.

Chael actually hurt Anderson early, buckled his knees, and was lighting him up.   

LOL@ ANDERSON'S OVERRATED STRIKING!  CHAEL IS A BETTER STRIKER THAN ANDERSON SILVA!

Though this was a Cael Sanderson thread when i opened it.....

:(

orcus -  " I wanted to share my opinion on why using this fight as an argument is void."

That's understandable, but Chael outstriking Anderson was an anomaly, even if we discount the injury rumors.

The fact remains that Alistair has not won the standup against just about anyone he's ever fought in MMA except for complete cans. This was no anomaly. 

The king of taking shit out of context strikes again.   Alistair was whooping Chuck's ass standing.   Chuck didn't turn the fight around by landing some great counter.  Alistair gassed and Chuck took adavantage.  Same for the lil Nog and Sergei fights.    

Bing Lao - JUST TO CLARIFY.... Anderson never got dropped by Chael. He was ALMOST dropped.

you got that from Chael dominating Anderson for all but 15 seconds?

Bing Lao - JUST TO CLARIFY.... Anderson never got dropped by Chael. He was ALMOST dropped.

Umm did you even watch the first fight? Chael DID drop Anderson once early on... Later on in the fight it looked like he dropped him again but it was more of a slip. Anderson is the better pure striker, cut Chael outstruck him due to the worry of the takedown. The rib injury or alleged injury had absolutely nothing to do with it. Anderson had no problem turning up the heat with his strikes in that fight, its just that he finally met someone that didnt wilt from the pressure and kept coming and took him down.

MMALOGIC - 
MMApostle - 
MMALOGIC - I like overeem but let's look at the facts:

He has no cardio, his chin cant take punishment, he was just outstruck by a BJJ guy, and it seems like he left this "supposed" power he has in his k1 and dream locker room.

Anderson got knocked down by Chael, outstruck by Chael, he's still the best god damn striker in MMA. Same with Overeem. He took a ton of punishment in K-1 and even took some huge shots tonight, his chin is fine. When you're worried about a takedown you aren't exactly able to fight your fight. He knocked Werdum down a few times as well. Any time Werdum felt any power he'd just flop to his back.

Anderson had cracked ribs - what's overeems excuse?

Overeem was outstruck by a BJJ guy. Alistair is not the best striker in MMA.

Let's put this in perspective.

JDS has fought 3 BJJ guys/grapplers (including the one overeem fought tonight). JDS outstruck all of them and knocked 2 of them the fuck out.

JDS fought MMA strikers and outstruck and stopped both of them.

JDS has fought a d2 champ wrestler and not only outstruck him, but beat the fuck out of him.

JDS is the best striker in the division and he's proven it.

Alistair has been outstruck on the feet in MMA by every real fighter he's faced.

Werdum didnt just outstrike him because of the takedown... werdum's takedowns are weak. Werdum outstruck him because Alistair knows his chin cant take punishment. In k1 he had huge gloves to protect it... in MMA he doesnt.

I don't recall ever seeing JDS fight anyone that fought the way Werdum did against Overeem.  Werdum's style of going for takedown after takedown, flopping, butt scooting, then throwing wild flurries out of nowhere is tough to look good against.   he did that shit to Arlovski and Sergei too.    had Werdum known anything about JDS prio to their fight he would have fought the same exact way against him, and JDS most likely would not have looked any better.

So what's your message OP? That Overeem is a great striker, just not good at doing it in MMA?

If that's the message here, then no offense but no shit. Everyone knows he can strike in a pure kickboxing match. MMA isn't kickboxing.

Andersons ribs where cracked by a Sonnnen takedown you fuckin noobs.

hellride - He also had zero respect for werdum's power, so he would eat a few to lure him in and counter with a haymaker.

VincexLee -  I agree 110% Phone Post