Chris Curtis has had an interesting career and run in UFC

Lost his pro debut and turned around and put together a 18-5 pro record on the regional scene to finally get a crack at DWCS and despite winning he didn’t get a UFC deal. The MMA internet was not happy.

Wins again and then gets a PFL deal and wins his debut before losing 2x to Magomedkerimov and 1x to Cooper who happen to be the best two WW’s in PFL history.

Goes out and puts five more wins together in the regionals to finally get a UFC fight on short notice vs Phil Hawes as a big underdog. The last of those regional wins though was over Kenny Robertson who is a 3x NCAA qualifier and a UFC vet. So Curtis beats Robertson and then KOs Hawes in the 1st.

Gets another UFC win as a 3-1 dog vs Allen and then he is fighting another blue chip climbing the ranks in Rodolfo Vieira and he again found a way to win.

Went into the Hermansson fight that was a pick-em but it was short notice and he took it less than a month after the Vieira fight. Lost that one.

So now he is 3-1 in the UFC but 35 years old and 29-9. Certainly not the easiest road to the UFC.

Took him 12 years to get there but he made it and is now ranked #15 in the UFC rankings.

Pretty good underdog story really. I don’t think he will win the MW title but hey, if Bisping can do it, Chris Curtis can do it.

8 Likes

He’s also retired numerous times. Not sure, but seems like he has head issues.

Well having to train like an madman, grind on the regional scene for a decade, win your UFC CS fight and not get a contract and beat guys like Muhammad, Magomedkerimov, Robertson, Vieira etc… in a cage fight to reach your goals and make a good living would give me head issues too.

1 Like

@BJ_Penn_Forever with the interesting threads - always. Good stuff my man.

1 Like

Great post! I like Curtis a lot but think he should campaign at WW. He’s very short for the MW division and looks like he could shave off some weight to make 170. I could see him giving Colby a helluva fight with his great takedown defense and good boxing.

I thought he was going to destroy Hermansson, I bet on Curtis so he lost me money. now I think hes a bum. lol

And there was the 3rd win and 3rd KO in the UFC for Chris Curtis as an underdog.

Curtis has now moved to 4-1 in the UFC.

1 Like

The guy is a belt collector also.

Fight Night WW and MW champion, CES WW champion and a few other titles.

2 Likes

Thought he deserved the UFC contract off DWCS and then when I saw he had to fight the 2x PFL champ Magomedkerimov twice in PFL I just knew that was not a highly winnable fight for him and just assumed his career was not gonna go all that great going forward, especially after getting KOed by Ray Cooper after they Magomedkerimov losses. Thought it was likely he would end up a .500 Bellator figher.

Gotta love to see a guy beat the odds again and again after adversity.

1 Like

Jack shit his jocks running away from him during the fight, Jack wasn’t there to fight.

Not a W but fun FOTN there for Curtis.

1 Like

I love Curtis. Hope he strings some Ws together

1 Like