Chuck was hitting his ARMS!

"Going fetal is NOT an intellegent defence." - Randy Couture

Ask tito if he thinks he should have been allowed to continue, he was outclassed, great fighter but you can't trade with chuck unless you are rampage, cro cop or wandy.

So everytime Tito went for a takedown, got stuffed, ended up on his back he turtled up and just lied there. That is not anyway to win a fight. If the punches had no effect on him why did he not DO ANYTHING TO IMPROVE HIS POSITION? He lied there. It could have been stopped in the 1st, and with some of the other stoppages last night I am surprised it wasn't.

anyone that actually WATCHED the slo mo saw that the last four of a seven shot flurry only grazed Titos arms, the last shot hit yhe mat! 3 out of seven shots hit tito, i like chuck, but BULLSHIT call.

the fight would've been over in another 10 seconds if he didn't stop it then. he jsut wasn't making an effort to get out of the position.

Above and beyond the Tito-Chuck fight...

I still think we need a more specific definition of "intelligently defending oneself."

Don't describe what it isn't....explain what it IS.

A guys arms laying at his sides while his head bounces around, of course, is a little late to call. But if a guy can keep his arms in front of his face/head, but not moving around JJ style, why is that not considered defending? An argument can be made he is riding the storm out, letting the top guy gas as he throws nondamaging strikes.

Because he isn't immediately "improving his position" in one person's opinion doesn't mean he isn't doing something to stay in the fight.

But let the crowd start getting a hard on, the ref moves in after the flurry of arms looks impressive but isn't always as damaging as the aroused think.

Tito was curled up in the fetal position. While that is defending yourself it's not intelligently defending yourself. End of story.

"While that is defending yourself it's not intelligently defending yourself. End of story."

I repeat, someone don't write what it is NOT, someone please specifically define what IS intelligently defending oneself?

You say he turned to his side and therefore this "fetal" position is not good. One can counter by saying that Chuck has a reduced straight shot at Tito's face and therefore is smart.

Point is, for these close calls you can make an argument for what is and isn't intelligently defending.

I'm not talking about the obvious ones where the guy's arms are laying at his side and his head is bobbing around.

I think the rule needs tweaking so there is consistency from fight to fight.

There is too much inconsistency in the UFC "we protect our fighters"
bullshit, and that was proven in the fight right before that when at the
end of the first round Desouza was in a much worse position than Tito
was and Big John let him weather the storm. I dont know if its the refs
getting caught up in the excitement and listening to the crowd or what
it is but its ridiculous in a title fight for them to think they have to be
that protective.

Right, I mean, it is a FIGHT where people get hurt. If you want to protect people so much, go be a crossing guard. People get hurt in fighting that is how it is. If you don't like the violence, go watch the ballet (no offense to our ballet fans here).

"I repeat, someone don't write what it is NOT, someone please specifically define what IS intelligently defending oneself?"

At least attempting to pull guard would be a start. It would be one thing playing rope-a-dope on the feet but when a guy turns to his side and curls up on the ground, it's getting close to a stoppage. They are pretty consistent with that and I think every fighter who goes in there knows that.

thing was that tito made his move to change position right as the fight
was stopped. he does a sit up to his right.

i thought it could go longer.

i'd like all fights to go longer.... but it was justified. watch at least half the shots nailed titos head

You can't just lay there and let a guy keep hitting you.

The fact that Tito didn't jump up and start screaming about the stoppage should tell you even he doesn't have a problem with it.

TKO from ARM PUNCHES in my opinion....Horrible stoppage!

Just because he didn't whine about the stoppage doesn't mean it was called properly. If he whined, all of you would be bitching that he is a poor loser.

I'm not a huge Tito fan anyway, I'm more referring to the amount of fights called when the crowd gets excited which arouses the ref and then the fight is called when the bottom fighter is not KO/TKOed and his arms are defending his face or he is moving his head around and therefore few if any strikes are connecting.

And why does being in a "curled up" position have to be considered bad? I would rather bring my knees up to defend my body and my arms up to defend my head. That's an easy one to figure out. It really sounds like using the word "fetal" automatically gives a negative connotation. Just because he didn't go all JJ on Chuck again only means he didn't follow your strategy.

Again, notice how many fights have been having 'iffy' stops in the past 10-12 months. The refs need more direction, specific direction, on how to call a stoppage.

he was basically tapping. same thing exactly. pretty much asking the
ref to step in.

"thing was that tito made his move to change position right as the fight was stopped. he does a sit up to his right"

No that was a wiggle at best, his hips did not come close to clearing Chuck and he would have still been laying there turned AWAY from his opponent playing at channelling Fetal Fred.

either way..i didn't see tito complain about the stoppage....

Ill just Quote the Great Don "The Dragon" Wilson on this one.

"U cant have an Ultimate Fighting Champion that doesnt want to fight"