Ciryl Gane vs. Alexander Volkov

Francis steamrolls this guy within a minute, there’s no way they put him up against him before they give him a Lewis or stipe.

Except he was the one who applied the majority of pressure in this fight and had Volkov too scared to throw hands. Volk threw more punches in less than 2 rounds vs Reem than he did in 5 tonight.

Also, I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that Gane’s mma career isn’t even 3 years old and consists of less than 10 fights. Too bad Volkov was afraid to let his hands go.

2 Likes

We have no one to blame but ourselves.

I don’t miss too many free UFCs, but I’ll add Gane to the WMMA list of unwatchables

3 Likes

He’s the only fighter I’ve ever seen at heavy weight since Fedor/Overeem that actually has a layered game. I know the UG will hate him, but he impressed the fuck out of me.

1 Like

His key to beating Ngannou is to fight like he did today. No thanks.

1 Like

Ngannou won’t be as tentative as Volkov. There’s no way it won’t be a more entertaining fight.

Defensive decision machines can be a tough style match up for destroyers like Ngannou.

Indeed. Lesson learned.

Is there anything worse than Heavyweights point fighting?

2 Likes

I thought the same thing but was basing it off how he was throwing his right hand. I was so convinced he was right handed fighting southpaw I googled it but couldn’t find anything.

Looked like someone who started in Karate. We were taught to put our strong side forward since it was about speed and getting points rather than knocking someone’s block off.

Yes WMMA…

3 Likes

Gane is intriguing. He completely shuts down very good strikers. Not fan friendly, a nightmare for promoters, but he gets the job done. I know he’d be a huge underdog against Ngannou and Lewis but I think there’s some good money to be made on Gane.

3 Likes

^ Euphemism for boring af

He would absolutely embarrass Lewis.

2 Likes

Agreed. I think he would outpoint the entire division as long as he didn’t get caught.

1 Like

He’d be a big favorite against Lewis

2 Likes

I meant more about the skill gap. Let’s be honest, Francis likely destroys both of them on the same night.

1 Like

This is bigtime wishful thinking. I don’t think Gane would be so hungry for a title shot against Fran if he didn’t have some success against him in the gym.

2 Likes

WELL HOPEFULLY HE’D GET CAUGHT BY LEWIS