Ciryl Gane vs. Alexander Volkov

Excellent fighter, but I really don’t enjoy watching anyone that poses zero threat to finish the fight. His last fight was far worse than this one.

5 Likes

Yep, you might be right, especially when Francis is throwing that shit from the underworld.
I was talking from an odds perspective. I might be a bit biased because I’ve been impressed by Gane from the first time I saw him, but I see his footwork and technique being the biggest obstacles for Francis out of any of the challengers.

3 Likes

I should have known everyone would be in here complaining about the fight. I thought it was a great fight. Gane was far more aggressive but Volkov has a great chin and created limited opportunities for himself. Gane landed a lot of hard shots, it wasn’t like he just stood there throwing jabs and leg kicks.

1 Like

Right? And Volk wasn’t even willing to jab hardly.

1 Like

I like Lewis and his style of fighting but Gane would embarrass Lewis

1 Like

You mean power gap? Because in terms of pure skill it’s not even close, both Volkov are levels above Ngannou. Stipe is as well. It’s just that sometimes none of that matters when Ngannou touches you.

2 Likes

Man he is frustrating to watch at times. Gane obviously did a lot of great work in this fight, but the biggest difference was his JAB. Volkov allowed himself to be backed up for the majority of the fight in fear of being countered. Gane smartly crowded Volkov because it’s hard to kick moving backwards, and Volk had no answer. He barely threw half committed jabs and the occasional left hook which was nice, but he wasn’t setting it up and was stopping after throwing 1-2 punches. He did land some leg kicks, but I think only a handful landed full power. He desperately needed to use an effective jab and long boxing combinations tonight, both of which he was unwilling to utilize. I think he has something going on mentally that he needs to address.

1 Like

I stand corrected!! Thumbs Up!

1 Like

He is very frustrating to watch. Why doesn’t he let his hands go?!? I was wondering tonight if his hand was broken as he wasn’t punching

Yep, WAAAAY worse. With the HW’s, even though it’s boring, deep down you know it could end at any second. You only need to see 15 seconds of Holly Holm and Tecia Torres point fighting to know for a FACT that it’s going the distance.

3 Likes

Gane is skilled no doubt but he’s not the ‘great hvwt hope’ I wanted him to be. He’s more of a point striker … he’s good but not exactly what the hvwt division needs …

I think Ngannou will knock Gane out but there’s a chance Gane can take it into later Rounds and drown him

But watching volkovGane today I was getting impatient and downright bored by the 3rd round… I just wanted it to get over and that’s not good since they are the best hvwt sin the ufc today. Meh

2 Likes

I have a bad feeling Gane will keep doing this for a while. I think he would be a huge favorite over Lewis and he could put point Fran after weathering a storm.

The main threat for Gane is Curtis if he can avoid getting KOed shooting in

3 Likes

Volkov absolutely embarrassed Lewis in their fight as well, look how that turned out.

His low fight IQ is why I picked against him this weekend. Try again.

Once again I had a similar theory as you just a slight variation on why. I thought he might have had a judo background because it is so popular in France.

Hector Lombard is a right hander that fought southpaw because he was used to standing southpaw from judo. Most people stand with their dominant leg and arm forward in judo.

But a little google says Cyril was just a kickboxer before getting into MMA, nothing about judo.

1 Like