Colby Covington sick of UFC treating him like crap

Hikikomori -

According to "Chaos," the initial offer was a "take it or leave it" deal and the UFC left no room for discussion on the details. Since Covington doesn't consider himself a title challenger, he said he is unwilling to accept a generic contract offer.

"My side of the story is, I'm ready to fight, I was ready to fight, but the UFC came to be with the basic challenger's offer," Covington said. "I'm a champion. There was no negotiation. They came and ran at me and said, 'Here, take this, or leave it and we'll pass it on to the next person. That's not fair negotiating and that's not right. So I'm not going to take the first offer that you offer me."

Hopeful for a compromise, Covington explained he wants to be paid what his worth. In his mind, he's the A-side in this fight and should be compensated as such. Additionally, he said Usman should house some of the blame for the fizzled bout proposal and alleged the champion was refusing to fight everyone the UFC offered.

"We need to meet in the middle," Covington said. "There's more that needs to be done. But also, I'm the A-side and you can't even get the B-side done with Usman. Why are we even rushing this if you can't get the B-side done?

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/09/colby-covington-says-recent-negotiations-not-fair-sick-of-ufc-treating-him-like-crap

Colby has negotiated his way right out of a title fight. He should probably stop reading "Art Of The Deal" before he negotiates his way out of the UFC. 

sloppyfloppys -
Hikikomori -

According to "Chaos," the initial offer was a "take it or leave it" deal and the UFC left no room for discussion on the details. Since Covington doesn't consider himself a title challenger, he said he is unwilling to accept a generic contract offer.

"My side of the story is, I'm ready to fight, I was ready to fight, but the UFC came to be with the basic challenger's offer," Covington said. "I'm a champion. There was no negotiation. They came and ran at me and said, 'Here, take this, or leave it and we'll pass it on to the next person. That's not fair negotiating and that's not right. So I'm not going to take the first offer that you offer me."

Hopeful for a compromise, Covington explained he wants to be paid what his worth. In his mind, he's the A-side in this fight and should be compensated as such. Additionally, he said Usman should house some of the blame for the fizzled bout proposal and alleged the champion was refusing to fight everyone the UFC offered.

"We need to meet in the middle," Covington said. "There's more that needs to be done. But also, I'm the A-side and you can't even get the B-side done with Usman. Why are we even rushing this if you can't get the B-side done?

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/09/colby-covington-says-recent-negotiations-not-fair-sick-of-ufc-treating-him-like-crap

Colby has negotiated his way right out of a title fight. He should probably stop reading "Art Of The Deal" before he negotiates his way out of the UFC. 

If they really wanted to pay him less to fight for a title than they did his last fight out against Robbie, then that's just ridiculous and I don't blame him.

StrikingMMA - 
KnockoutThoughts - 

I agree with Colby. Dana treats fighters fucked up. If he offered him a shitty offer with the threat of going with someone else, with no room for negotiating, despite Colby being one of the hottest names at 170lb through his body of work, that's fucked up! Same thing he's doing to Tony Ferguson no doubt behind the scenes..that's what this whole Conor next angle is in that situation. Trying to threaten to take what they deserve for even attempting to ask for what they're worth. Some guys like Conor get to make demands and negotiate. Others get treated like bitches by the promotion, and undervalued with the threat of missing out on opportunities for even trying to negotiate. It's sad and exposes the scum at the top for what they are. Dana White is a pos.. he'll tear down a fighter who deserves it just because they ask for what they're worth. 

Doing this to Tony Ferguson is criminal! No doubt this is exactly what they have going behind the scenes with him too.. 

Good post!

Funny how when Woodley made the same argument about pay everyone crucified him here.

We are also assuming Colby is being truthful all of a sudden?

1 Like
SickEye - 
Vikingknee -

Dana keeps saying tony is next unless he declines the fight. I bet the ufc are offering tony a take it or leave it peanuts offer too hoping he says no and they can book Conor and say tony doesn't want to fight. 

Wrong division bud!

Same exact situation, though. So you know it’s not just about Colby. It’s the way the UFC does business.

1 Like

It's not the UFC's fault.

Colby signed a contract to say this is what he will fight for. 

The UFC are asking him to honour that contract but he wants more.

Win the title, then ask for more negotiating.

Vikingknee -

Dana keeps saying tony is next unless he declines the fight. I bet the ufc are offering tony a take it or leave it peanuts offer too hoping he says no and they can book Conor and say tony doesn't want to fight. 

Even if all that maneuvering is taking place, why would Khabib agree to fight Mcgregor? he's already said that Conor needs to work his way back up to a fight with him. 

As much as I'd see Colby fight and get flatlined, seeing him sidelined and told he means nothing is even more satisfying.

Jorge made him even look like more of a stooge on the MMA Hour. This shtick will backfire 

The UFC will do the same thing to Tony. If he doesn't take whatever they first offer, they'll go straight to McGregor

1 Like

I dunno feel like we're not hearing the full story here

The guy wearing the MAGA hat playing the victim rather than taking responsibility for his own actions? Color me surprised!

How about the fact that you are not a champion because you got striped for acting like a diva? How about the fact you got the shittiest ratings/ticket sales? How about the fact nobody likes you because you keep on burning bridges?

Idiot. 

1 Like

He needs to fight usman and take the belt. Then profit by fighting anyone he wants making a few million each fight. By not taking the fight he is just being difficult. 

Eskimo -
Hikikomori -
yomamafool -

yeah fighters shouldnt negotiate. they should just take whatever the ufc offers them so they can bang bro

colby is in no position to demand equal pay. yes, fighters should get what they deserve but being difficult for the sake of being difficult is a duck move.

You sound ridiculous. None of these guys are scared of each other lol. He's actively been working towards fighting the champion, and your theory is he's afraid now that he's reached that point? Just dumb.

That guy doesn't even leave his house, what does he know of anything?

EKPOGI -
KirkBJJ -
EKPOGI -
KirkBJJ -

I don't think the Hollywood elite that run the UFC want a white MAGA champion as one of the faces of their company... he's never gonna have an easy road with anything with that gimmick. 

Dana is a MAGA guy too.

Dana has real bosses now and they aren't. Hollywood and ESPN do not want to blast Colby Covington all over the place as the world champion... guaranteed. 

Colby and Dana were in the White House last year with the ufc belt.

How can you guarantee anyway?

Why do you keep bringing up Dana? You obviously disagree with me, but what point in my original post are you trying to argue? 

Real Muthaphuckkin G - 

He needs to fight usman and take the belt. Then profit by fighting anyone he wants making a few million each fight. By not taking the fight he is just being difficult. 

That’s the simple narrative and it could be the most accurate. Not saying that Colby isn’t making some good points, but getting the belt first puts him into the drivers seat.

Good fuck him. 

For such a bold, outspoken character, Colby sure bitches a lot. It's not necessarily WHAT he moans about, it's HOW he does it.

Colby comes across like a whiny little schoolkid - crying, moaning and whinging when he doesn't get his own way. He likes to make out that he's 'keeping it real - fighting for all the other fighters' and then goes on to moan, over and over and over and over...

We get it: you're not fighting for the purse they offered you. You're not happy with the UFC TELLING you what you're gonna get paid rather than negotiating. I guess the only thing you can do now is sit-out the remainder of your fighting career, holding that Toy R Us belt and paying for women you can't afford. Meanwhile, the UFC rolls on regardless without giving any fucks.

Hey, at least you got your 5 minutes in the White House

Colby's gimmick has drawn him a lot of hate from fighters and fans, but it hasn't translated into ticket sales on ppv buys. Until starts making a difference in revenue, he's not getting paid like he wants.

Good for him! He's right! 

If the ufc is trying to pay him less than the Lawler fight then that is fucked. 

- YouTube

KirkBJJ - 
EKPOGI -
KirkBJJ -
EKPOGI -
KirkBJJ -

I don’t think the Hollywood elite that run the UFC want a white MAGA champion as one of the faces of their company… he’s never gonna have an easy road with anything with that gimmick. 

Dana is a MAGA guy too.

Dana has real bosses now and they aren’t. Hollywood and ESPN do not want to blast Colby Covington all over the place as the world champion… guaranteed. 

Colby and Dana were in the White House last year with the ufc belt.

How can you guarantee anyway?

Why do you keep bringing up Dana? You obviously disagree with me, but what point in my original post are you trying to argue? 

hmmmmmm.

is that why those current bosses allowed ufc resources to be used on this feature doc about trump.

that was then posted on the ufc youtube page and advertised on all ufc social media pages.

this was something that was worked on and developed over time you realize with the full knowledge of the new owners.

not stating my politics on this one just pointing out that “guaranteed” is a little brave with direct evidence to the contrary.

having 1 outspoken MAGA guy is in fact good for business no matter if you tune in to see him lose and or to see him win.

and business is what the owners are in.

they are capitalists in the end and good ones at that to buy a billion dollar brand.

you need a bad guy remember the words of Antonio Montana

“What you lookin’ at? You all a bunch of fuckin’ assholes. You know why? You don’t have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fuckin’ fingers and say, “That’s the bad guy.” So… what that make you? Good? You’re not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don’t have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy! Come on. The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you. Come on. Make way for the bad guy. There’s a bad guy comin’ through! Better get outta his way!”