Colby sparing with some novices.....

wiggum -
wiggum - Can't stand Colby, but this is a very cool video. Very positive gym atmosphere.

I’ll also say that I have found real training benefits from training with novices under a similar set of conditions. Especially novices that are pretty athletic.

Agreed.  In fact, I think it can be very valuable to occasionally go back and train with newer people because they oftentimes react in ways you’re not used to.  Even at the most advanced levels, people can fall into a type of technical complacency if they just keep getting the same looks.  You start to inherently and instinctively mold your training to that of your partners.

The technical appreciation for how Colby still subtly cuts angles, controls under hooks, and flows positionally is a lot of fun for me to watch.

1 Like
WaltJ - 
wiggum -
wiggum - Can't stand Colby, but this is a very cool video. Very positive gym atmosphere.

I’ll also say that I have found real training benefits from training with novices under a similar set of conditions. Especially novices that are pretty athletic.

Agreed.  In fact, I think it can be very valuable to occasionally go back and train with newer people because they oftentimes react in ways you’re not used to.  Even at the most advanced levels, people can fall into a type of technical complacency if they just keep getting the same looks.  You start to inherently and instinctively mold your training to that of your partners.

The technical appreciation for how Colby still subtly cuts angles, controls under hooks, and flows positionally is a lot of fun for me to watch.

Yeah. This video, oddly enough, gave me a new appreciation for Colby’s technical ability. I know how good of a fighter he is, but this shows a real understanding of technique that goes beyond his pace and grit.

That was awesome.

It's great when a pro gives back to his gym or event by sharing their talent with those there.

I think every pro should do something like this with their own gym.

Cool video, wish I was there.  Colby looks like a good guy to help coach newbies.

Captain Canuck - 

That was awesome.

It's great when a pro gives back to his gym or event by sharing their talent with those there.

It’s very good for gym culture.

wiggum - 
Captain Canuck - 

That was awesome.

Agreed.

Captain Canuck - 
wiggum - 
Captain Canuck - 

That was awesome.

Agreed.

Well he got kicked out of his long time gym for disrupting the gym culture so I guess he has no other choice

Don J -
Captain Canuck - 
wiggum - 
Captain Canuck - 

That was awesome.

Agreed.

Well he got kicked out of his long time gym for disrupting the gym culture so I guess he has no other choice

oh is that why Colby said he left that gym?

1 Like

Seems standard. Hit as hard as you want to get hit.

yomamafool - 
Don J -
Captain Canuck - 
wiggum - 
Captain Canuck - 

That was awesome.

Agreed.

Dan Lambert asked him to leave. He tried to work with Colby and his “schtick”, but when Colby started bashing in house teammates like Dustin, Mas, Joanna the team dynamic at the gym took a big hit. So Colby had to go

Don J - 
yomamafool - 
Don J -
Captain Canuck - 
wiggum - 
Captain Canuck - 

That was awesome.

Agreed.

Dan Lambert asked him to leave. He tried to work with Colby and his “schtick”, but when Colby started bashing in house teammates like Dustin, Mas, Joanna the team dynamic at the gym took a big hit. So Colby had to go

Yup.

What... no DanTheWolfman in these sparing videos? Pretty sure he invented sparing. 

3 Likes

Met Colby at a Glory event in Miami a couple of years ago. He was the nicest…most respectful, and most polite fighter I’ve ever met and I’ve met a ton. Even nicer than Guy Mezger and GSP.

1 Like
Sprawl'n'Stall - 
Billyz - I mean I understand the reasons behind the persona and all, hell maybe he parlays into a wrestling career after. Why the hell not just be yourself when from most accounts, that person is a genuinely good dude. It worked incredibly well for GSP and made him millions just as well without the extra stress.

Well, now he COULD turn back to “normal” and still be popular. But, while I’m sure he is a “good guy” in many aspects of his life, he has been disliked or downright hated by a lot of former teammates so that persona might not be as fake as you’d think. Exaggerated, overdone, sure. But based on some reality…

He sure was popular when facing Whiny Woodley and then thrashing Lebron “China crybaby” James.

ATT isn't exactly the bastion of integrity. Just sayin. 

1 Like
SKARHEAD - Met Colby at a Glory event in Miami a couple of years ago. He was the nicest...most respectful, and most polite fighter I've ever met and I've met a ton. Even nicer than Guy Mezger and GSP.

That says a lot to me. 

1 Like
SKARHEAD - Met Colby at a Glory event in Miami a couple of years ago. He was the nicest...most respectful, and most polite fighter I've ever met and I've met a ton. Even nicer than Guy Mezger and GSP.

Love to hear this about my fave fighter (besides Conor)

1 Like

Good hands by check your oil

Don J -
Captain Canuck - 
wiggum - 
Captain Canuck - 

That was awesome.

Agreed.

Get your dumb lib ass out of sport threads. 

Colby is a solid dude. Very respectable outside his shenanigans. 

I feel like we are arguing on a WWE forum when people start hating on his persona.

Who gives af the no name wrestler is getting paid now. 

Also in the last few years his striking ability has shot to the moon. He's a top tier athlete in the UFC no question. 

I just like watching the best fighters on the planet showcase their skill. I really give 0 fucks about all the other bs. In the cage he's easily one of my favorite fighters to watch across all divisions. 

Respect. 

1 Like

The people that hate Colby must have missed the part where he literally said the ufc was going to cut him or not resign him before the Maia fight. He clearly made the right call going into the persona. 

1 Like