common/successful subs in Judo?

Which submissions would you guys say are the most commonly seen and successful in Judo competitions?

Despite training, for a number of months now, in Judo, I have not seen too many competitions so I do not know the answer to the above question. If anyone could enlighten me regarding it, I would appreciate it.

Juji gatame would be my best guess which is followed closely and/or matched by gi chokes from rear mount.

juji-gatame when your opponent has his back to you is very sucessful (sometimes called a juji-roll)

Also sangaku when opponent is turtled and of course different lapel chokes when you take your opponents back.

I must admit I've forgotten most of the Japanese names so forgive the description:

From kesa-gatame (side sitout?) a figure four using my leading leg. I still recall winning 7 of my 8 bouts back at the '93 Australian University Games via that technique.

And it still works today just as well as it did all those years ago.

It would partially depend on what level of competition you are talking about. At the highest levels, I'd say it's Juji Gatame, the cross armlock. Also, I think the most common one has probably changed over th years. for a while, the sankaku jime (triangle) done against a turtled opponent was the most common.

For me personally, Juji Gatame and the yoko sankaku done from a roll, followed by rolling entries into various gi chokes.

Ben R.

chokes arent seen much becuase of the lapel thickness-- it is just so damn hard to hold them with the necessary pressure.. now with the new rules that reduce the thickness we will see a change in that i think. most chokes are still going to be in transition though.

juji-gatame is easily the most popular sub. unless you count the heavyweights just tapping out to a pin. =)

ude garami, sankaku jime, juji,

ude garami happens a lot more in randori then it does in competition. if im in randori i get uge garame pretty frequently, but i think ive only finished it a handful of times in competition and that was mainly against much lesser experienced opponents.

Does anyone have a theory as to why we rarely see udi garamis in competition?

"Does anyone have a theory as to why we rarely see udi garamis in
competition?"

Most people would try for it when they have someone in a pin. But no
point doing it, if you have someone pinned.

probally because it's possible to hold off ude-garami longer to get the standup than against juji-gatame. Ude-garame if the defendant is able to clasp their hands or grab their own wrist pits one person's arm strength against the other's... for the most part. Juji-gatame pits your entire body strength up against their elbow strength to break their grip free and finish the move. This may be why possibly. I think without quick standups ude-garame would probally be more common for this reason.