Conor/Dustin 3 Gameplans?

Dustin even admitted he was hurt bad and Conor could have finished him if he realized. Let’s not act like Conor can’t hurt him at lw too.

1 Like

I think that is pretty much the consensus everywhere…move more and kick more with diff kicks. But the whole pace himself thing…we saw him do that in the Nate rematch and still saw that major drop off in R2. Also, either way, if it goes into r3 on, his chances decrease drastically and Dustin’s increases drastically. So perhaps he still needs to go for the kill in r1?

He has good power but shouldn’t be blasting every shot like that. Precision & timing right? Touch the guy, force openings, capitalize on opportunities created by setups. Feel things out. Don’t try to make it a 2 minute fight.

tenor

1 Like

Conor

R1: Throw punches, hope something lands
R2: Give up

Dustin

R1: Survive Conor’s punches, hope nothing lands
R2: Win

1 Like

Agreed on all counts.

Conor would do well to take some zip off his shots, be lighter on his feet, and light up Dustin’s body with front kicks!

I don’t think Conor is going to come out in his old stance. When he used to face off with guys he would get into his wider stance. When he did this time he put his hands up and got into a boxing stance.

1 Like

McGregor has power at lightweight, look at what he did to Eddie Alvarez.

Dustin

R1: Shoot for take down immediately and clinch trying to drain Conor’s power.
R2: Leg kick until Conor’s leg gives out.

Conor

R1: Take Dustin’s head off with kicks and punches
R2: Take Dustin’s head off with kicks and punches.

Dustin did what we thought and suggested he should: just come to fight and take things where they go.

Conor did some of what I suggested: front kicks, lighter stance. The plan to attack leg kicks was stupid with and without hindsight (I said it in OP. But, I was being intellectually lazy and I was wrong). Justin Gaethje chewed the fuck out of Dustin’s legs – and Justin is the best leg kicker in the sport. And it didn’t do much and Dustin still got the finish. Conor right right to use a ton of kicks, including side kicks to the leg. But, traditional leg kicks was a bad idea.

I had suggested he stick & move a lot just touching Dustin up, but once he started exchanging the pocket was the beginning of the end. Dustin is more powerful & durable at 155 than Conor, he filled out. Years ago at 145 Conor was probably the bigger guy. Conor couldn’t handle the exchanges in the pocket.

1 Like

Yup. And at 155, without epic power, he can’t stick and move forever against a guy like Dustin who’ll walk through hell to get into the pocket. Once they had an extended exchange, Conor started grappling.

1 Like

That only happened after Conor fucked his ankle up…