Considering getting back into Judo…

I’m 46 and in excellent health and great condition. Trained Judo in Japan about 25-30 years ago and earned my brown belt before I left… I’d probably go in without mentioning my past as a beginner. Thoughts? At 46 am I crazy?

Not at all, unless you are trying to train very hard.

I went back to doing Judo for only one day after a 25-year break. I paid a visit to the Kodokan’s open mat. It was a weird feeling because everything you had seen was the same after all those years. It’s like going back to your old room at your parents’ house.

I had been lifting weights regularly and doing uchikomi drills solo, so back on the mat I had no trouble doing throws. The skills you learned don’t go away if you keep rehearsing them constantly in your head. The only thing that bothered me was that I got disoriented badly when I did ukemi rolls, lol.

I just got back into BJJ at 42 after a 12 year break. I’m not in great shape. I suck wind like Bob Sapp after two minutes of rolling and I don’t feel worthy of my belt. Both elbows are sore as hell right now. I keep telling myself to just keep making it through the door and I’ll be fine.

Good luck dude.

Go finish up!