Covington open to a fight with 'joke' and 'handout generation' fighter Khamzat Chimaev

Can’t stand either of them but I would 100% watch

I love the move and would 100% LOVE that fight, but from a strategy point of view that sounds dumb for colby. I think he should just let Chimaev fight some dude like Nelson and then get a title shot. If Chimaev does manage to become champion, then Colby has a very legit argument for new title shot since he is currently the clear #2. If Chimaev loses to Usman, then he essentially has Usman take out Chimaev for him.

2 Likes

Colby is a good businessman

He’s calling out a lower ranked fighter. A rising figher but definitely a guy in the lower ranks.

Anyone other than Marty he calls out is lower ranked…….

4 Likes

Khamzat is WAY lower ranked than him. He (Colby) shouldn’t be the #1contender now anyway.

2 Likes

If Covington is up for the fight, I think it is great! It’s a huge jump in competition for Khamzat, but if he handles Colby it pretty much proves what he is saying and he is ready for a title shot.
If Colby wins… Okay, you’re a new, green fighter fighting the clear-cut second best guy in the division… It’s not the end of the world. Go back and fix whatever holes Colby found in your game and you still have a fair chance to climb back to the top.
The bigger downside is definitely for Colby, but with the kinda hype this guy is getting right now, if Colby takes the fight and wins it is a pretty good feather he can put in his hat.

2 Likes

Never going to happen

I think the hype could make the fight huge and I would definitely be on pins and needles waiting for the match to begin. MUST be 5 rounds!!!

1 Like

The build up and Colby calling him Cumshot the whole time will be hilarious.

2 Likes

Please let this fight happen. Book it 5 rounds and/or main event.

1 Like

I think khazmat’s biggest battle is going to be with the scale. I don’t think that dude will make 170 much longer. Colby handles him if he can drag him out to deep waters/

1 Like

Won’t happen. It’s just Colby’s way of staying in the news.

1 Like

First off, I admit I can’t tell how popular Chimaev is and I dont know how big a fight with Chimaev would be. But as a general rule in prize fighting, you dont let someone else take care of the big, popular fighters. You want to do that yourself and take that shine and that payday. If Usman beats Chimaev, you just lost out on a big fight. You want to be Nate not RDA.

Smart move by Colby. He needs to fight him now.

2 Likes

In this age of social media, Chimaev has 2.9 million followers on instagram. Tell me another 10-0 fighter not ranked in the top 10 in his division in history with that many social media followers.

Forget rankings, popularity is what pays the bills in today’s sport. If you look at the most followed WWs on social media that are also top-ranked fighters, it’s Masvidal (3m), Chimaev (2.9m), and Usman (2.8m). Obviously, there’s no reason for a 3rd fight with Usman, so Colby is positioned himself to fight Masvidal and Chimaev. Colby is the 4th most followed guy in the division by a comfortable margin at 800K+.

Nate Diaz is the most followed WW by far (5.2m), but he’s not even a ranked fighter, so he’s not really worth a call-out at Colby’s level since Colby still has title aspirations.

1 Like