Crazy Monkey Boxing

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyMonkeyDefense?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/31/Z1NLnHtJ7nw

OK,I'll try it like this...

I am interested in this type of boxing.

Chango

I've never trained with Rodney King or any certified CMB instructors, all I've done is play with the DVD's so I'm no expert.

The clips on youtube don't really do the defensive structure justice IMHO. The crazy monkey is his in close defensive structure. At range (what he calls the Rim Shot distance), he uses basic boxing defenses (catching punches on the gloves) combined with some philipino destructions (elbow blocks) and regular slipping, bobbing and weaving etc.

When you get close is when you're supposed to use the CM defense (hook and uppercut range). It works pretty good in there actually, and he does cover body shots with it, devoting three sections of the defensive DVD to dealing with them, and another couple sections showing him and some students drilling it.

The crazy monkey's not too different from what I was taught at my boxing gym really. I was taught basically to crouch, keep my hands up and take shots on the gloves/arms while keeping my elbows tucked and my body crouched to take body shots on the elbows/arms. Which is essentially what he's doing on the DVD's. Crouching low to take body shots on the elbows, and moving his head side to side while using his arms to absorb punches at the head. He does move his arms more than I was taught to in boxing, but he's set his up to deal with smaller or no gloves. No an unreasonable move really.

Now, it is setup more for MMA or a streetfight than regular boxing. He does say that 95% of the people out there in the street and in MMA are headhunters, hence him emphasizing more head defense than body defense. Which is pretty true I think. Not a lot of punching to the body in any of the bar fights I've been in, and not a lot of body punching in mma. He does cover it though, and spends almost as much time on body shot defenses as he does upper body defenses on the first DVD.

I think the CM has some merit, and would be great for beginners or people trying to figure out how to modify their boxing to bareknuckle/mma gloves. If you have some boxing background, I think you could skip it really, but it might give you some ideas on how to modify things to work in mma.

The cult like following it's gotten is pretty nuts. I think it's a bunch of guys that have never boxed thinking they're going to be world beaters after learning it because it's some uber new uber cool secret ninja death touch BS and not realizing that's it's pretty much one guys idea of getting basic boxing defense to work better in mma.

If you're interested in it and don't have much boxing experience, check out the DVD's of find a seminar, it will help you. If you have a decent boxing background, skip it.

Skpotamus - 

Now, it is setup more for MMA or a streetfight than regular boxing. He does say that 95% of the people out there in the street and in MMA are headhunters, hence him emphasizing more head defense than body defense. Which is pretty true I think. Not a lot of punching to the body in any of the bar fights I've been in, and not a lot of body punching in mma. He does cover it though, and spends almost as much time on body shot defenses as he does upper body defenses on the first DVD.

The cult like following it's gotten is pretty nuts. I think it's a bunch of guys that have never boxed thinking they're going to be world beaters after learning it because it's some uber new uber cool secret ninja death touch BS and not realizing that's it's pretty much one guys idea of getting basic boxing defense to work better in mma.

I pretty much agree with these points. For a certain crowd it's makes sense to learn. It just gets a bad name because the CM cult comes on forums trying to tell people to use this against boxers, or that you can rise in the ranks of boxing with it.

The whole CM cult thing is whar drove me away.

Didn't know there was a cult like thing going with CM. That's crazy. Oh well...I use to train in wing chun...and lord have mercy...Sifus were like Sermons.

As a total beginner (zero standup experience), six months of CM-based standup drills gave me the following skills:

- not be afraid of getting punched in the face
- not turning away from a barrage of punches and giving up my back (like many untrained fighters will do when they start taking damage)
- ability to spar lightly without being scared
- ability to confidently defend against basic jabs, crosses, and hook punches without using reflex- or attributed-based defenses
- ability to fire moderately powerful jab and jab/cross out of a defensive structure and then return to that structure

Although I'd get my ass kicked from here to Inner Mongolia by anyone with any real standup training, I should think the CM stuff I learned gave me some confidence in how to defend attacks by untrained or barely trained opponents and how to give a little back.

It's an easy way to get beginners acclimated to defending punches, throwing basic punches and 1-2s, and start sparring without being too scared.

I'd think that if one really started to get interested in standup, one would add in traditional boxing training, muay thai, etc. But CM is a good place for absolute beginners to start, especially if you're looking for a "quick fix" against your typical untrained thug.

Anecdotally I've also watched one guy using CM tactics to dominate a guy with some boxing experience. That's pretty meaningless though because I don't know how good the boxer was and the CM guy was also a boxer (golden gloves).

Skpotamus - I've never trained with Rodney King or any certified CMB instructors, all I've done is play with the DVD's so I'm no expert.

The clips on youtube don't really do the defensive structure justice IMHO. The crazy monkey is his in close defensive structure. At range (what he calls the Rim Shot distance), he uses basic boxing defenses (catching punches on the gloves) combined with some philipino destructions (elbow blocks) and regular slipping, bobbing and weaving etc.

When you get close is when you're supposed to use the CM defense (hook and uppercut range). It works pretty good in there actually, and he does cover body shots with it, devoting three sections of the defensive DVD to dealing with them, and another couple sections showing him and some students drilling it.

The crazy monkey's not too different from what I was taught at my boxing gym really. I was taught basically to crouch, keep my hands up and take shots on the gloves/arms while keeping my elbows tucked and my body crouched to take body shots on the elbows/arms. Which is essentially what he's doing on the DVD's. Crouching low to take body shots on the elbows, and moving his head side to side while using his arms to absorb punches at the head. He does move his arms more than I was taught to in boxing, but he's set his up to deal with smaller or no gloves. No an unreasonable move really.

I think the CM has some merit, and would be great for beginners or people trying to figure out how to modify their boxing to bareknuckle/mma gloves. If you have some boxing background, I think you could skip it really, but it might give you some ideas on how to modify things to work in mma.

If you're interested in it and don't have much boxing experience, check out the DVD's of find a seminar, it will help you. If you have a decent boxing background, skip it.

Yep I think that sums it up nicely!