Cross Knee Pass Counters Video

I haven't looked at the videos yet but I just use reverse de la riva guard :) Phone Post

mrgoodarmbar - 
Setree - So what does everyone else do? Same? Different? Get passed?

Nice..I like it when people want feedback and exchange ideas... Only looked at vid 1 so far..

Thank you for your thoughts! I'm glad you mentioned the armbar. (fits right into the kesa section)

I'm not sure I can picture 5 and 6. How do these not turn into a strong smash pass position for the passer?

When I try to put my foot in front of their face and onto their far bicep, they will do 1 or 2 things....duck their head to I can't put my foot in front. Or they will try to posture tall and smash with the knee. If they duck, they're not going to smash, either win with the foot or push their head away and turn it into an oma plata. If they can tall, there's really no extra pressure unless they try to keep their knee on your sternum before turning it out..if that is the case there are plenty of options...
1) put your foot into their chest and push them away. This will usually take the weight off their knee and can off balance them. You can retain guard with the other leg.
2) reach behind your legs with your left hand (he's passing to your right), grap his pants and go for de la riva pushing his knee back with your other hand
3) reach under him and under your right leg with your right hand and grab his pants. Go into inverted 1/2.

You can't sit up when someone is driving their knee straight into you, but you have rotate pretty well. They can definitely put some decent pressure into you, but you can often regain guard. If they are driving their knee straight into your chest first, then you really should've been shrimping backwards sooner. As they begin to drive the knee, take a moment to scoot your butt backwards, then counter.

for later

watching your part 2:
1. The beginning the bumping of his head or grabbing his arm and coming to your knees.. yeah jeff glover does that real smooth - continues right into a darce or anaconda. Having said that. I've tried it myself. I don't like the idea of bumping the head. I think grabbing his arm is ok b/c. You don't create the same initial space, so you've go to do it earlier on the transition, but you can keep your elbow to the mat and safer. I try not to get into the habit of using moves where you really have to reach that arm and risk getting it captured. E.g. he could capture the arm and pass by N/S to the other side for a nice arm bar.

2. finishing the previous escape with the wizzer/hand on his head type frame is a nice thing the Feitosa showed us. However, this is also something that you need to be aware of from your passing opponent when you are trying to escape via underhook... He can do this to you. One of the counters when he does this to you is to use your bottom hand to get a sleeve grip on his wizzering arm (before he can connect to his other wrist) then limp arm your underhooking arm around in a circle grabbing his back. However you don't really have that bottom arm available when it is also underhooking. I also feel a lot more vulnerable to several other things...
- chokes
- he switches his knees and his base before finishing the pass putting his back towards your head and facing your feet...getting kimura'd or guillotined at this point. Also just having your back taken!

To be honest I don't think I ever try this until he's in side control. I think that if he hasn't complete the pass, having that leg between yours could present some serious problems if you don't start with a good bump.

The walking under stuff looked nice...especially against the back step. I'm going to keep that one in mind...Good stuff. Thanks.

This is awesome. Love the repetition Phone Post

<blockquote>mrgoodarmbar - To be honest I don't think I ever try this until he's in side control. I think that if he hasn't complete the pass, having that leg between yours could present some serious problems if you don't start with a good bump.</blockquote>

I first learned this escape from full side control. Jeff Curran taught me a few details that really make it work. Luis Heredia showed hiding the near hand when defending something similar to a cross knee pass. Once I started hiding the hand, Jeff's escape is what came out of the situation, IF THE PASSER CONTINUES TO PASS. If he stops, the escape won't work due to the leg entanglement, but if he stops, he's not passing either. I can then bump him and take my underhook. Try it! :)

Again, thank you for your comments. I'll be playing with your ideas.

^^^ Interesting... I do like hiding the near hand (elbow really), just so they can't control it and flatten me. There are a few guys that do this as a N/S escape. They lock you down tight and keep their elbows spread apart so you can't come around to that side and scoop under the elbows.

Have you had partners who don't stop, but they switch the knee to the other side and begin to take your back? if so, curious about your experiences with this.

I'm not picturing it. I need more description or video.

wish I could make a vid, but I just had knee surgery for torn meniscus...It's almost like the following vid, but the start would be a little different...Start by doing the knee through pass and when you get double unders The passer would drive the knee to the other side of your body and do something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-27keZXOn4

not quite the same, but just giving you and idea of what I'm talking about.

Awesome. I had that video in mind. I love it.

I haven't had anyone doing that. I think he is able to do it because the bottom guy has crossed his feet. If his feet were uncrossed, he would use his foot on the mat and Caio wouldn't be able to turn him over.

yeah - of all the techs on his DVD, I had immediate success with this.

we're definitely talking about a dynamic situation and the smallest of angles and timing making all the difference. It's definitely interesting and gives a ton to think about. E.g, if you uncross your legs are you giving up mount? Turning the hips has more to do with the direction my shin is driving vs. the plane that your bent leg makes. Generally if I can drive against the inside of your thigh, it doesn't matter if your foot is uncrossed and posted. I think that just lets you move the foot out further and readjust faster. However, to get your back, I'm more concerned about getting my chest in contact with the back of your shoulder.

In general with the gi, even from side control, you've got to have a good bump and great timing otherwise you're giving up some paper cutter choke set ups on one side or the other.

One other thing that I really like to do when passing..prob my fav esp when initiated from 1/2 guard, but also applies to knee through is to not battle for the underhook. Drive my head into the shoulder/arm pit area and use the underhooking hand to reach behind my @ss palm facing out and get a 4 finger grip on your pants. The other hand will get a same side sleeve grip. I can continue the pass like a knee through. Or I can retreat and stand up to pull my foot out and place it next to your hip. Tons on success with this. Bottom guy very often doesn't even know that you have the pants grip. he thinks he can open his legs to get full guard or something, but nope - that leg is stuck and he just openend up and gave me the pass.... A lot of my passing works off of getting pants and sleeve grip control on the same side.

Opening your legs gives you a chance to hipescape away, keeping the passer from getting his knee to the other side. Of course, once open and hip escaped, you are left defending the knee slide pass. I think that is the brilliance in that Caio move.

Interesting stuff, thanks for taking the time to do the vid.

Ttt Phone Post

sub

You have no idea how good these videos are! I'm a half guard guy and i roll with a purple who smashes me repeatedly with this pass. This has really helped me understand it. It shows just how massive BJJ truly is when you look at a single pass and its encounters in their entirety. Very intimidating! Thanks a lot for sharing :-) Phone Post

Thanks for the support guys!