Crowning the first King of Pancrase

Hello!

I spent many hours brushing up on the early days of Pancrase. It was an honor and I hope this does it justice. I hope you’ll check it out.

8 Likes

Hell of an effort & contribution.I enjoy old school MMA.

Thank you!

1 Like

John,

Are you attached to Pancrase in any capacity?

Are you familiar with Eric Nyenhuis?

Where does or did Ken Shamrock factor in?

When I screwed up my Lower back, I was off work for months.

And one day (2013) I watched every single Bas Rutten Pancrase bout.

Who was it that posted all of the vids. Ice?

Fuck what was the posters name that use to post full events of old skool events?

Great stuff, OP. Thanks.

1 Like

Looks like a lot of time and effort went into this. Cool.

1 Like

It would be nice if Pancrase was bigger today just for the history. I’d like to see it be a top feeder promotion. “King of Pancrase” just sounds cooler than “former LFA champion” for promotional purposes.

2 Likes

TTT for later

1 Like

No attachment to Pancrase at all other than being a fan. They did reach out to me and say that they enjoyed the article but that’s been the only contact.

So I ran into Eric’s name during my research and discovered not good things. I don’t go as far back as you do Crow but jogging my brain from the early to mid 2000’s when I first got into the sport, I can’t recall the guy.

Pancrase itself (the Japan org) is aware of what he is doing and is not pleased to the tune of legal action it seems. That makes me angry. Pancrase doesn’t deserve this.

That’s why I kept the mention of the documentary to a single line.

I found his idea of finally building the Pancrase brand in the US bizarre considering it has existed for decades. Like are we supposed to ignore everything that Will Hendricks and Phyllis Lee did for the sport?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but everything I’m coming across about Nyenhuis is that he’s a scam artist and this is what he does with old brands.

1 Like

Its means little if anything to fans that did not live it in the 90’s though. Hearing the modern sport was born in the 90’s in Shooto, Pancrase, SEG UFC, JVT, Super Brawl, Extreme Challenge, IVC, IFC, etc… and being there living it are two different things. It is just not very interesting to people that were not there. Sure there are a few history buffs out there that are interested but they are not the masses of younger UFC/Bellator/ONE fans at all.

2 Likes

Alot,& I mean alot of negative press emerged about Eric.He did come on here & explain away “some” of the allegations.He was attached to the Lion’s Den & has a event coming up in New Jersey or New York.Supposed to be Nate Marquardt against Chris Lytle coming out of retirement.I let one of Eric’s guys know that Chris won’t be there,but Eric seems to be going full steam ahead.

Yeah, I saw that mention of a Marquardt-Lytle fight for a welterweight KOP belt in 2022 when I was researching and had to do a double-take. That would be a huge fucking deal and that was the first time I had heard about it. Now it makes total sense.

Unbelievable.

Part of the reason why I wanted to write this so bad is because so many of the newer fans today don’t have any clue as to what Pancrase, Shooto, etc are and how much they mean to the sport. Hopefully it can be a nice reference to look back upon. That was the intent.

2 Likes

I’m glad you wrote it, reading it later today.

1 Like

John,if you are a MMA historian,you might enjoy an ongoing thread about the start of MMA/Japanese pro wrestling.

There is a massive long thread on here documenting it that supposed to reach the UFC years.I’ll see if I can find it if you are interested?

1 Like

Interesting, can you copy the thread link here pls

Hold on BB.

Shazam!

https://forums.mixedmartialarts.com/t/kakutogi-road-the-complete-history-of-mma-vol-1/2806597

3 Likes

Tremendous thread for MMA history. Just incredible.

2 Likes