Crowning the first King of Pancrase

Its means little if anything to fans that did not live it in the 90’s though. Hearing the modern sport was born in the 90’s in Shooto, Pancrase, SEG UFC, JVT, Super Brawl, Extreme Challenge, IVC, IFC, etc… and being there living it are two different things. It is just not very interesting to people that were not there. Sure there are a few history buffs out there that are interested but they are not the masses of younger UFC/Bellator/ONE fans at all.

2 Likes

Alot,& I mean alot of negative press emerged about Eric.He did come on here & explain away “some” of the allegations.He was attached to the Lion’s Den & has a event coming up in New Jersey or New York.Supposed to be Nate Marquardt against Chris Lytle coming out of retirement.I let one of Eric’s guys know that Chris won’t be there,but Eric seems to be going full steam ahead.

Yeah, I saw that mention of a Marquardt-Lytle fight for a welterweight KOP belt in 2022 when I was researching and had to do a double-take. That would be a huge fucking deal and that was the first time I had heard about it. Now it makes total sense.

Unbelievable.

Part of the reason why I wanted to write this so bad is because so many of the newer fans today don’t have any clue as to what Pancrase, Shooto, etc are and how much they mean to the sport. Hopefully it can be a nice reference to look back upon. That was the intent.

2 Likes

I’m glad you wrote it, reading it later today.

1 Like

John,if you are a MMA historian,you might enjoy an ongoing thread about the start of MMA/Japanese pro wrestling.

There is a massive long thread on here documenting it that supposed to reach the UFC years.I’ll see if I can find it if you are interested?

1 Like

Interesting, can you copy the thread link here pls

Hold on BB.

Shazam!

https://forums.mixedmartialarts.com/t/kakutogi-road-the-complete-history-of-mma-vol-1/2806597

3 Likes

Tremendous thread for MMA history. Just incredible.

2 Likes

He was the first King of Pancrase.

1 Like

Pro Ice

The UG MVP for a significant amount of time.

2 Likes

This

Vu OP

I thoroughly enjoyed that read. I love all things having to do with 90’s MMA.

Great effort. Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for the mention. The Kakutogi Road thread is now just closing out the end of 1992. I hope to be able to go all the way until the end of Pride, Lord willing.

4 Likes

Hence “it would be nice if”

TTT for anyone that missed

3 Likes

Really is kind of an overlooked milestone in MMA history, and a big feather in Ken’s cap.

Early Pancrase was deeper with talent than early UFC.
The UFC’S top couple fighters, (Gracie, Shamrock, Severn) were better. But Pancrase had more talent throughout. (Obviously factoring that Ken competed in both).

2 Likes

Later

1 Like