Cung Le in lawsuit.

Cung's Le made $100,000 in his last fight in Strikeforce,

He then went to the UFC, where according to Cung he received reduce pay due to Zuffa acquiring Strikeforce and forcing him to take a lower salary.

However in Cung's first UFC fight, which he neither won nor was the main event, he was paid $350,000. Additionally he was given a minimum of $70,000 in bonuses.

I can understand some fighters being in a lawsuit for unfair earnings. But can anyone explain why Cung Le is? Phone Post 3.0

His drug test fiasco I'd assume

He can probably claim they cost him his reputation and whatnot

1. Plaintiff Cung Le (“Le”), a resident of San Jose, California, is an Elite Professional MMA Fighter and a proposed representative of the Bout Class and the Identity Class. Le competed in UFC-promoted bouts in the United States and elsewhere from 2011 through the present. Le’s compensation for participation in those UFC bouts was artificially suppressed due to the anticompetitive scheme alleged herein. Le appeared on EA Sports UFC, the fourth installment of the UFC video game franchise, initially released on June 17, 2014. EA Sports UFC is a mixed martial arts fighting video game developed by Electronic Arts which is based in the Northern District of California. Le has also appeared in Round 5 action figure sets, including limited edition sets, and Topps Trading Card sets. Le’s Identity, including his autograph, was featured in UFC posters. Le’s Identity was expropriated and his compensation for appearing in UFC Licensed Merchandise and UFC Promotional Materials was artificially suppressed. Le was and continues to be injured as a result of the Defendant’s unlawful conduct. Phone Post 3.0

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 36. Plaintiff Cung Le (“Le”), a resident of San Jose, California, is an Elite Professional MMA Fighter and a proposed representative of the Bout Class and the Identity Class. Le competed in UFC-promoted bouts in the United States and elsewhere from 2011 through the present. Le’s compensation for participation in those UFC bouts was artificially suppressed due to the anticompetitive scheme alleged herein. Le appeared on EA Sports UFC, the fourth installment of the UFC video game franchise, initially released on June 17, 2014. EA Sports UFC is a mixed martial arts fighting video game developed by Electronic Arts which is based in the Northern District of California. Le has also appeared in Round 5 action figure sets, including limited edition sets, and Topps Trading Card sets. Le’s Identity, including his autograph, was featured in UFC posters. Le’s Identity was expropriated and his compensation for appearing in UFC Licensed Merchandise and UFC Promotional Materials was artificially suppressed. Le was and continues to be injured as a result of the Defendant’s unlawful conduct. Phone Post 3.0

Ahh yes, his likeness rights as well

So he's saying he got nothing for his likeness? I can see why it'd be an issue for him if he doesnt own his own image. Phone Post 3.0

Needlemover - Cung's Le made $100,000 in his last fight in Strikeforce,

He then went to the UFC, where according to Cung he received reduce pay due to Zuffa acquiring Strikeforce and forcing him to take a lower salary.

However in Cung's first UFC fight, which he neither won nor was the main event, he was paid $350,000. Additionally he was given a minimum of $70,000 in bonuses.

I can understand some fighters being in a lawsuit for unfair earnings. But can anyone explain why Cung Le is? Phone Post 3.0
What did zuffa make off his debut though? His first fight was highly anticipated and he was matched against MMA legend Wanderlei silva.

His wage is more than enough to sustain a nice lifestyle but that doesn't mean his cut of the profits is fair Phone Post 3.0

Cung's stance on the drug test followed by this say a LOT about the kind of guy he is...

Those of you who want to defend his lawful opposition to the test... can continue being ignorant liberals... study your friggin body before you chime in about Cung's insane old man lean gains Phone Post 3.0

Hes pissed about the drug testing fiasco and everything else hes citing is just collateral damage. He has suffered irreparable damage. Phone Post 3.0

I think people need to see the bigger picture here. I want this to in some way effect the guys fucking hustling to make a living getting 8/8. Pay is fucked in the UFC.

Forget about the fights individual pay.

This lawsuit is really about 1 question, is MMA run as a legitimate sport? answer NO.

It is run like the WWE or a Circus business model. MMA athletes are classified as entertainers and not athletes covered under the Mohamed Ali Act.

If this law suit goes through and wins, it will force the industry to make changes to its business practises stepping towards MMA becoming a legitimate sport. Following modules like Boxing or the NFL.

Don't you want MMA to be legit.

Cause it sure is not a league. Who is the UFC in league with? only themselves

"Following modules like Boxing"

If it follows boxing it seems like the top .001% will make 99.9% of the money while the rest get scraps, no? If you look at boxing undercards vs. UFC it seems as if the UFC fighters are compensated BETTER even though there is more sponsor dollars, etc. coming into boxing.

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 36. Plaintiff Cung Le (“Le”), a resident of San Jose, California, is an Elite Professional MMA Fighter and a proposed representative of the Bout Class and the Identity Class. Le competed in UFC-promoted bouts in the United States and elsewhere from 2011 through the present. Le’s compensation for participation in those UFC bouts was artificially suppressed due to the anticompetitive scheme alleged herein. Le appeared on EA Sports UFC, the fourth installment of the UFC video game franchise, initially released on June 17, 2014. EA Sports UFC is a mixed martial arts fighting video game developed by Electronic Arts which is based in the Northern District of California. Le has also appeared in Round 5 action figure sets, including limited edition sets, and Topps Trading Card sets. Le’s Identity, including his autograph, was featured in UFC posters. Le’s Identity was expropriated and his compensation for appearing in UFC Licensed Merchandise and UFC Promotional Materials was artificially suppressed. Le was and continues to be injured as a result of the Defendant’s unlawful conduct. Phone Post 3.0
Are action figures and video games the reasons these fighters keep getting injured?! At least we know the answer to that one now Phone Post 3.0

PrestigeWorldwide -
Needlemover - Cung's Le made $100,000 in his last fight in Strikeforce,

What did zuffa make off his debut though? His first fight was highly anticipated and he was matched against MMA legend Wanderlei silva.

His wage is more than enough to sustain a nice lifestyle but that doesn't mean his cut of the profits is fair Phone Post 3.0
I understand your point.

Arguably though this would also apply for his mere 100,000 in strikeforce. His claim is that he was limited in financial earnings when Zuffa allegedly took a monopoly. His financial earning actually dramatically increased.

I believe the case will judge firstly if Zuffa has a monopoly and if so secondly compare the time of alleged monopoly vs his previous reasonable expected income.

Unfortunately for Le even if Zuffa did take on a monopoly his earnings were substantially increased therefore it is difficult to argue the size of the detriment to him as a result. Phone Post 3.0

warriormac - Forget about the fights individual pay.

This lawsuit is really about 1 question, is MMA run as a legitimate sport? answer NO.

It is run like the WWE or a Circus business model. MMA athletes are classified as entertainers and not athletes covered under the Mohamed Ali Act.

If this law suit goes through and wins, it will force the industry to make changes to its business practises stepping towards MMA becoming a legitimate sport. Following modules like Boxing or the NFL.

This isn't true.

The case is solely to compensate a collective group of individuals for what they perceive to be unfair earnings.

While that may drive some change in the future if successful, to say that a courts findings would be that they are not a sport (despite being regulated by athletics commissions in the jurisdiction of the case - USA) and then order them to become one is simply not a legal outcome. Phone Post 3.0

irishrottie - I think people need to see the bigger picture here. I want this to in some way effect the guys fucking hustling to make a living getting 8/8. Pay is fucked in the UFC.
Exactly. 8/8 is unsatisfactory.

They should be offered 20k as a minimum.
Even if it was 20/0. Win bonuses are fairly silly - poor performance gets them booted which is encouragement enough and I hate the American "tipping" style.

A fighter should be entitled to 3 fights per year.

Should the fighter not be entitled to fight due to an injury (reviewed by UFC appointed doctor even) then they get their 20k without fighting.

Fighters therefore make 60k per year when the first start. If they win they stay on and fees are subsequently increased.

Is 60k enough of a salary to get by for a person just entering the sport? I guess people need to prove themselves if they are coming in with little to no pro fight experience. Phone Post 3.0

Cung Le purses

UFC 148: 150k. No win or disclosed bonuses. Cote made 21k. Anderson Silva made out with 200k (plus ppv points etc).

UFC on Fuel vs. Franklin: 150k plus 40k kotn bonus. Franklin made 75k.

UFC fight night vs. Bisping: 150k. (Bisping made out with 475k).

The issue is not his pay directly. The issue with the lawsuit are the other things, like giving away his likeness rights for life, appearing in popular video games, can't fight for other organisations, can't be sponsored unless the UFC approves it, etc... Fighters can't even refer to themselves as a UFC fighter unless okayed by Zuffa. Phone Post 3.0

They cover this pretty well in the filing.

With some exceptions (Cerrone comes to mind), it's nearly mathematically impossible to give the fighters the three fights per year that they are guaranteed. 

When it comes to Cung's reputation, you can't unscramble an egg (not even THE EGG).  They released to the press that he had failed a drug test.  Guys like Stann were doing the dance of joy, screaming "I told you so" at the top of their lungs.  Then, we find out that not only did they do the tests incorrectly, but they didn't do all three steps required for an HGH test.  When that was brought to light, they nearly hurt themselves backpedaling so quickly. 

As far as the $350k reported compensation.  That entire Macao card was built around Cung.  They took advantage of his popularity in the area from SanShou days and movies to enter into a completely new market (putting them on the doorstep of the largest market in the world). Just because he was paid closer to what a main event fighter should be paid than others does not mean he shouldn't collect royalties and Zuffa should be able to use his likely into perpetuity

warriormac - Forget about the fights individual pay.

Did you say boxing is run like a legitimate sport?

Leghound - "Following modules like Boxing"

If it follows boxing it seems like the top .001% will make 99.9% of the money while the rest get scraps, no? If you look at boxing undercards vs. UFC it seems as if the UFC fighters are compensated BETTER even though there is more sponsor dollars, etc. coming into boxing.
Yeah. I'd rather be the Joe Lauzon of MMA than the Joe Lauzon of boxing. I think Joe is ranked somewhere around #20. I'd be willing to bet that he makes a hell of a lot more money per fight than the #20 ranked Welterweight fighter. Phone Post 3.0