'Cutting the Corner' Footwork Drill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ri7b_70azY

This is a decent move for getting out of a corner or jumping away from your opponent to an angle.

What say you all?

(sorry I now lack a blue name so can't post videos)

I was taught to always keep at least one foot on the ground at all times. And that you are doing something very wrong if both feet are ever off the floor at the same time.

So it's too much jumping around for my taste.

Good set of drills to build attributes. And a good way to exit laterally instead of backing straight up and getting countered.

Great drill. Drills don't always have to follow the dogma of footwork. You're building attributes more than technique. Plus, if you do it at speed, you're not really lifting both feet that much.

The guy that hammered that into my head was old fashioned about avoiding any excessive movement, in order to conserve energy in the ring. So your mileage may vary.

The drill does have some similarities to Apollo Creed's footwork drills from Rocky 3, minus the 180 degree jump. (one of Martinburke's all time favorite training montages if I'm not mistaken.)

Seen in the above video in between the :19 and :23 minute mark, as well as from the :55 to 1:03 mark.

Ok, as weird as it seems to learn footwork drills from a rocky video, it actually had some good ones in there.

I did it 500 times tonight like he said but I did it 70/30 instead of the 80/20 as suggested because I thought I should do more of the more difficult part.  I can already tell it's going to help my footwork which is what I need to work on the most, so thanks for the video!

Not sure about the full pivot yet, but after doing the first drill for over a week I too have already noticed a difference in being able to switch my footwork from my base stance to a sideways stance and moving laterally.

I found this one too from the same guy. He says 'everyone does it' but no coaches ever showed me or told me to do it so this was the first time I saw the drill and I did it at the gym yesterday for three rounds.

Think it will definitely help punching while moving like he shows.

If anyone has any more videos they've found like this please post them up. I have problems with my footwork becuase no coaches have showed me any drills or given tips on footwork beyond how to step in each direction properly and some very basic pivots.

Guess I have to find other stuff to work on by myself.

^We used to use that one in kickboxing for warmups. Never knew it had footwork applications.

ttt

Oh fuck off.

Honestly, if I spend too much time away from this forum, I end up with a back catalogue of insults by the Cajun Chicken to deal with.

Martin, since I see you online...did the trainers you learned from teach you the falling step? And if so did you use it a lot in your pro fights?

ttt

Would you say that it's primary use is as a way to bridge the gap from long range and get inside?

I've been messing with it for weeks and think I'm finally to the point where I'm letting all my weight drop properly. Just the left jolt though, haven't tried the right one yet.

Would love to have someone that knows look over my form. If only there was a Dempsey boxing school around the corner....

martinburke - Even after you get to the point that you can crank them off with only a tiny falling step, since the weight shift is so drastic, I'd still tend to post up a good bit on the front leg as I got extension on the punch. So any further forward movement was not going to be very fluid until I got my weight back and centered. Your legs are set to hook and uppercut, but continuing the chase is momentarily disrupted...

Hadn't even thought that far ahead yet to consider how I'm going to move after the step. I will be sure to keep an eye on how much weight is on the front leg, and on how my mobility feels at that moment. Good stuff!

...which is why I liked to wait until I'd backed the opponent close to the ropes. A couple of reasons:

• Even if I miss, he can't back away very far, so that split-second I need to gather my feet to keep chasing doesn't come into play

• Even guys who do nothing but back away and fight behind a jab looking to potshot are going to try to bluff you a little and offer a little resistance as you get them near the ropes. It's almost always a stalling tactic to get some room to step around you, but they'll stop their retreat for a second or two to get YOU to back off for a second. THAT'S when I really liked to use the falling step. They were coming forward, I was coming forward...beautiful.

Ah, I understand. Waiting till they are close to the ropes would minimize the drawbacks while setting it up so you can reap the maximum benefits. That sounds well thought out.

How do you feel about using the falling step in the middle of the ring? I was picturing coming in with jolts constantly. If they stay inside afterwards then good, that's where I like to be anyway. But if they back out then stalk them and jolt again.

Now that you mentioned the posting issue this might be too inefficient though.

I usually found that learning to throw the lead hand jolt comes easier to people than the other hand. Don't know why that is.

With all the work that goes into getting the left to a halfway competent level I can just imagine how bad it's going to be for the right.

Hopefully I'll get to the point where I'm stomping around the ring loudly like Joe Gans. :) If they don't like it, then screw 'em.

Thanks for letting me pick your brain Martin. I will file this away for later use.

martin, regarding the falling step, must it always be performed with the heel of the front foot landing first?

Or can you perform it landing with the ball of the front foot?

Man, you guys ruined this thread with an off topic discussion. Start a new thread next time, 'cause both the footwork videos and your discussion are valuable in completely different ways.

Technically the falling step is footwork related, but you have a point.

My fault. I saw Martin had posted and wanted to try and get a hold of him right away before I missed him.