Dana to Spike TV: "I Owe You One"

Doem - 
they have a ton of leverage
they counter programed the last ufc with a re-run ufc and beat them in ratings.
I dont know why UFC is taking this gamble unless they have a mountain of cash to risk
they had a ton of advertising on spike--spike helped feed their PPV
Spike put UFC countdown 132 on at 1:30pm lol
how long is it going to take for even 50% of the casual fans to adjust to a new channel and how is that going to affect upcoming payperview numbers
all that so they can spend 600m on a TV channel that nobody watches?

that is a huge opportunity cost

I agree.

I think that Spike has done a pretty decent job so far of showing that--to the casual fan--MMA may equal UFC, but UFC equals Spike TV.

I mean, it's kind of amusingly ironic that Spike TV has effectively shown that the UFC can be banished to the "undercard" when they misbehave and step on toes, too.

Good to see the UFC get counter-programmed for once.

I work in TV, and I think this was a ballsy, smart and successful move by Spike TV. Regardless of who built Spike's 18-34 male following, they proved to the UFC that they now control that population. UFC can go elsewhere, but it will take a serious effort to migrate their casual fan base to another network. Whereas, Spike TV has a decent grip on the demo.

Props to Spike for dropping a deuce on Versus/Dana. It will aid in their negotiations. You know deep down, Dana respects such an intelligent move...

Harold_Howard - Lol, counter programmed with the same program? UFC wins regardless.

not really
guarantee that most people watching could not tell or did not care that the spike programming was a re-run. that is horrible news for UFC
What happens if spike shows nothing all together? is the casual fan who cant tell the difference between a live event and a re-run going to go through the trouble to track down the ufc?

this is quite a gamble on the UFCs part.

"...and the fans will follow UFC. its not that hard to change the channel"

Spike reruns beating Versus new UFC programming destroys your point.