Danaher is an ass, huh?

I guess word on the street is Danaher is super abusive towards his students. Would pull Eddie Cummins hair etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/15t8pne/robert_degle_he_john_danaher_was_abusing_eddie/

link to the full podcast:

3 Likes

There is a clip from one of his instructionals where he talks about defending yourself on the street and he says something like ā€œstart kicking him in the face and donā€™t stop until your foot is covered in bloodā€. (I may have butchered that)

I just remember thinking ā€œI bet heā€™s actually done that as a bouncer in New Yorkā€.

Iā€™m saying him being an ass (arse) wouldnā€™t surprise me.

2 Likes

I trained with him onceā€¦

He told me I had something on my gi and pointed to it. I looked down and he sharply drew his finger up into my nose. He and his two buddies laughed and walked past me.

ā€¦I felt so ashamed.

11 Likes
4 Likes

Eddie vanished from the sport for a few reasons. But one of them is almost certainly the way John acts juxtaposed with how he is perceived by the public

2 Likes

Itā€™s a shame that they only have up to 37 on Apple Podcasts

1 Like

They deleted the line about Eddie and John, thatā€™s probably why itā€™s not on apple podcasts.

The reddit link has it, but itā€™s pretty docile. Iā€™m surprised it was news worthy.

Iā€™ve met and trained with everyone on that podcast, though I never got to roll with Ethan or Damien. One of them I consider a good friend. Theyā€™re all kind of fratty (except Rob) but theyā€™re all cool guys. And even though people like Rob arenā€™t like that, they treat him like heā€™s a member of the group just the same.

B-Team are the good guys of the DDS split, make no mistake. Gordon is the greatest grappler ever, but everytime Iā€™m in Austin the B-Team will get my drop in fees.

1 Like

Yeah but who cares? Stay at Unity and do your thing

1 Like

If I were Eddie Iā€™d care.

His body was pretty broken by then anyway. His wife is hot and mega rich, he felt abandoned by the cult leader he gave his life to. Plus John told him he wasnā€™t allowed to make instructionals because it was ā€œsecret knowledgeā€ and then put the movements Eddie dominated in his career on his own instructional and made literally millions.

Iā€™d feel pretty over BJJ too. Plus Eddie didnā€™t really have a personality to just jump into a new gym and make friends. He was reclusive and like they mentioned on the podcast he broke his training partners pretty regularly.

4 Likes

There were a few of Johnā€™s previous students who are very good posters here.

I didnā€™t mean to come off as shitting on your instructor. Everyone whoā€™s involved at BJJ on that level is most likely a flawed character.

Hadnā€™t caught this thread before but I hope they have some thoughts to add to it either way

1 Like

Iā€™m glad that youā€™re here and talking about these things. I never would have guessed that John Danaher was that way.

Eddie should put out his own instructionals now. Heā€™d make millions too. Lots of people admire his style of grappling and many believe he was the true mastermind behind the DDS leglocking system.

1 Like

Eddie broke his training partners? Did he go that hard all the time?

1 Like

Yeah, according to this podcast.

There was a fella in another thread who quit after Eddie came, partially because Eddie was breaking everyone.

2 Likes

He seems like a good guy, but that sounds kinda shitty.

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t she married to Bourdain when they got together?

2 Likes

At that level, itā€™s a sport full of psychopaths lol.

3 Likes

Yeah.

Iā€™ve heard people debate off she has already separated from him or not. Was still legally married at the beginning though

1 Like

He was at Unity tho, stay there and do your own thing. With the instructional craze going on you can make millions, with DDS leaving NYC and that Unity team he could have had a great crew around him. Or hell if he wanted to, split from Unity and create your own thing. He had so many options.

Edit.

2 Likes