Darren Till torn MCL confirmed

Robert Whittaker kicked Darren Till in the knee at UFC on ESPN 14 in Round 2; the effect was immediately apparent. It was widely believed that Till suffered a significant injury, and that has been confirmed by his coach Colin Heron.

"Torn MCL, doctors are amazed he was able to stand up for the last three rounds," texted Heron to ESPN. "He is in a cast for six weeks then we'll reassess, hopefully it will start to knit while immobilized."

Till knew during the fight that something was terribly wrong, telling his corner he could not move properly. And after the fight, "The Gorilla" good-naturedly detailed what happened.

“I don’t like to sit here and I’m not the type [to make] excuses, but I have to give credit to Rob in the second round. He knee stomped me, like I did to Stephen Thompson ... they should be illegal,” said Till, laughing, as transcribed by Nolan King for MMA Fighting. “It just blew my knee, like my knee just went 'pwooo' under me, crashed. That was it then for the whole fight. I just had to stay static and sort of just fight on it.

“I hid the pain even, I don’t think he recognized. But I was still in there. I’m not trying to sit here and say, ‘Oh me knee gone,’ whatever. Maybe it just stopped me bouncing a bit, but it was a real good fight. I feel like I won it. I feel like we both won the fight—I’m not saying I feel like I won it, it’s just we both won. It was a clinically great match.”

1 Like

Firstly, I really like Till, but I’m a massive Whittaker fan and this kind of irks me. Saying I have to give Rob credit, he knee stomped me in the second rd and blew my knee out is a sneaky way to make an excuse whilst disguising it as giving Rob props.

3 Likes

I mean having one leg for 3 rounds against Bobby knuckles is a good fucking excuse imo

2 Likes

Better than the yakuza poisoned my water

or maybe not cuz I wouldn’t put it past them 

Till is tough as hell.  During this last fight, I could tell he really enjoys fighting.  

AtticusFinch -

Firstly, I really like Till, but I’m a massive Whittaker fan and this kind of irks me. Saying I have to give Rob credit, he knee stomped me in the second rd and blew my knee out is a sneaky way to make an excuse whilst disguising it as giving Rob props.

All hes doing is saying what happened in the fight.  I didnt watch the interview but I dont understand why fans always give fighters shit when they talk about their fights 

6 Likes

Impressive, sophisticated fans know he actually beat Whitaker fairly easily.

2 Likes
AtticusFinch -

Saying your ligaments were torn during a fight is not making excuses, it's explaining what happened.

2 Likes
AtticusFinch -

“Have to give him props, he punched me really hard and I woke up 5 minutes later in the ambulance.”

AtticusFinch - “Stop making excuses loser!”

1 Like
Steven McTowelie -
AtticusFinch -

“Have to give him props, he punched me really hard and I woke up 5 minutes later in the ambulance.”

AtticusFinch - “Stop making excuses loser!”

Lol

I love when doctor says 'they are amazed' he could even stand up after. Like some doctors don't understand how building and strengthening the muscles and other ligaments around the knee can make this possible. Till is not some 40 yr old overweight regular man who torn his MCL.

I tore my LCL completley in half. I limped around the next day and by the time I actually got an MRI and results, I was sure it was going to be something minor.

I know both Forrest and Matt Hume fought with no MCL. Hamstrings are super built up and compensate.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDRkaOqlvDG

Did it happen with those straight kicks to the knee that Whitaker loves to throw? That should be illegal?

he blew Romero’s knee out with it too. Even tho I’m pretty sure he started doing them because Romero blew his knee out with them in the first fight. 

Easy for me to say but I don’t see it being a determing factor. Till has a lack of engagement problem and having an intact ACL I don’t think would have changed this issue in that fight. In fact, him being more “static” like he said probably helped the fight not hurt IMO.

AtticusFinch -

you just called fighting on a torn MCL an excuse.

hahah. i love the internet.

BrckNoHitBk - 
AtticusFinch -

you just called fighting on a torn MCL an excuse.

hahah. i love the internet.

Knees are for pussies, bro. Real men can fight walking on their hands! Who cares if it’s against the #1 ranked contender. Excuses are for losers.

You can’t give head butts but you can butt… with your butt, right?

Adapt, overcome, improvise